[REPORTED] Fw 190 Cockpit Bar! (answer Post #173)

Krupi

Who gives a flying chrome ball? :doh:

Really nobody should, but this is a legendary debate in the flight sim world, for some the inclusion of the bar is like burning a Qur'an.

@hakjar.......is do see your point and agree the glass certainly refracted, but who actually knows how well that refraction accounted for the bar?

Still don't see what you are on about.

In the video it looks like their is a 3-4cm tall bit of metal running along the bottom of the forward canopy.

This is an important issue because it's been done incorrectly in the past.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

But Krupi, if the 3d model of the cockpit is of accurate dimensions and the players eye height is set correctly and the 'bar' is visible then it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume it was visible in real life, in order to make that bar disappear the bottom of the armoured glass would probably have to sit inside the fuselage, I can see no feature of the aircraft that suggests that is the case.

The reason it isn't 'visible in real life' is made clear by the enlarged side view here:

Fw190RSL_zps7ec27af3.jpg

Refraction through the thick armoured glass causes the 'line of sight' forwards to move upwards. It is only about 1.5 cm or so, but it is enough to remove the 'bar'. And yes, the drawing shows that the bottom of the glass actually sits inside the fuselage - photo's won't show this, because of the refraction.

Really nobody should, but this is a legendary debate in the flight sim world, for some the inclusion of the bar is like burning a Qur'an.

@hakjar.......is do see your point and agree the glass certainly refracted, but who actually knows how well that refraction accounted for the bar?

I hope you don't take this offensively Bongo old chum but if you do not care about this issue then please do not bother with this thread, you will not add anything to this discussion.

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

Who gives a flying chrome ball? :doh:

Sorry, but that's pretty ignorant.

If you model a gunsight and block 1/3 of it, because you just can't do it right, that's not something to just forget about.

That's a critical inaccuracity and a one that directly impacts the usability of that plane.

It's like modelling the F-15C just with STT or the Su33 without EO-targeting, because these need programming, thought and adjustments you just didn't want to do.

• Like 1

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

No, no offence, I will respectfully continue with a reasoned debate.

@AndyJ the glass extends into the cockpit area but does not project into the fuselage on the outside edge, the frame of the glass quite clearly physically sits above the bottom aperture of the sight, while the drawing goes some way to explain the path of refracted light it still seems to be a bit of an impression rather than a technically accurate illustration.

What sources are there to give exact quantitative data on how much refraction happened and did the gunsights account for this too?

Sigh. I'm tempted to pull my funding if they pull this kind of thing again.

Come on squirrel there is no need for these kind of "threats", we are all hoping this to be the next biggest thing in ww2 aircraft simulation and these guys need all the help they can get.

I am sure that if we can prove that something is incorrect they will ensure that it is corrected :thumbup:

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

Ok from what i can see and read there indeed seems to be an inaccuracy to some extend.

Now the question becomes, how much exactly, and how should it be correct/is it best corrected.

Does "The Fighter Collection" have an FW 190? Would make it easier to fix now that the team knows what to look for.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The keeper of all mathematical knowledge and the oracle of flight modeling.:)

Come on squirrel there is no need for these kind of "threats", we are all hoping this to be the next biggest thing in ww2 aircraft simulation and these guys need all the help they can get.

I am sure that if we can prove that something is incorrect they will ensure that it is corrected :thumbup:

Yes, but we all want it to be realistic. Noone wants any partisan nonsense influencing the final product.

No, no offence, I will respectfully continue with a reasoned debate.

@AndyJ the glass extends into the cockpit area but does not project into the fuselage on the outside edge, the frame of the glass quite clearly physically sits above the bottom aperture of the sight, while the drawing goes some way to explain the path of refracted light it still seems to be a bit of an impression rather than a technically accurate illustration.

What sources are there to give exact quantitative data on how much refraction happened and did the gunsights account for this too?

I think you need to look at the drawing again - the front of the glass is projecting below the fuselage in the drawing. As for refraction, this is simple optics. All we need to know is the incident angle of the sight line, the thickness of the glass, and the refractive index. I see no reason why we shouldn't assume that the drawing is accurate enough to provide the first two. I'll see if I can find any information on refractive indexes.

Yes, but we all want it to be realistic. Noone wants any partisan nonsense influencing the final product.

Agreed, but this is an old argument that has been proven correct many times.

If they can show that what they have is 100% correct then I am willing to accept this but all evidence has previously pointed to the opposite, the bar is simply incorrect.

Project IX Cockpit

The refraction argument is a Red Herring imo Look at this D9 image Check the alignment of the hangar frames both outside the canopy frame and then those behind the armour glass .... not much refraction going on there.

diff.jpg

Regardless we have images of the inside of the Coaming Armour glass junction ... all you have is a thin raised sealing bead no Bar !

But Andy, the armoured glass frame has a hinge that must sit outside of the fuselage so the winscreen can fold forward.

The hinge is for the engine/gun cover not the cockpit.

Destroyed-FW-190.jpg

Found a correct photo ;)

Edited by Krupi

Project IX Cockpit

Saw that but something doesn't make sense with that picture, id the glass bent the image 5deg down then my earlier point about the nose of the aircraft would be an even bigger problem.

Sorry, you are right. It's the angle between the revi sight line and the engine cowling.:doh::music_whistling: