bad VR issue, Rift S

30mikemike

Something really odd is going on, with your rig that should certainly not be the case.

Going to be hard to pinpoint.

Really weird isn’t it. Tried running without the Ethernet plugged in too, made no difference.

It’s going to have to be a reinstall. Firstly DCS and then complete Windows reinstall if it doesn’t fix it.

i7 8700k @ 5.0ghz. Strix GTX1080Ti. 32GB RAM @ 3600. 2x Hyper X SSD’s with DCS on one. Oculus Rift S. Asus PG278-QR. Liquid Series PC with liquid CPU and GPU cooling.

Really weird isn’t it. Tried running without the Ethernet plugged in too, made no difference.

It’s going to have to be a reinstall. Firstly DCS and then complete Windows reinstall if it doesn’t fix it.

Yeah I would say you are probably at that point.

Already tried a complete reinstall of the Rift software?

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Yeah I would say you are probably at that point.

Already tried a complete reinstall of the Rift software?

Yeah tried the Rift software but no joy. Even tried another Rift on it and it was fine after that, but then back to stuttering a couple of flights later.

I can only think that due to updating the beta once or twice and reverting back to 2.5.5 a couple of times etc that it’s corrupted something. DCS repair has no effect either.

i7 8700k @ 5.0ghz. Strix GTX1080Ti. 32GB RAM @ 3600. 2x Hyper X SSD’s with DCS on one. Oculus Rift S. Asus PG278-QR. Liquid Series PC with liquid CPU and GPU cooling.

Did i read somewhere that the Rift S cable unplugs from the headset ? A long shot maybe , but have you tried unplugging/replugging ?

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Did i read somewhere that the Rift S cable unplugs from the headset ? A long shot maybe , but have you tried unplugging/replugging ?

Not sure on that one mate but I’ll give it a try. It does almost seem like a connection issue type of problem. Definitely not a usual stutter issue that we all get from time to time.

Not sure on that one mate but I’ll give it a try. It does almost seem like a connection issue type of problem. Definitely not a usual stutter issue that we all get from time to time.

Yes the cable does unplug, but here is the deal.

When you push it back in you will feel it come to a stop.

You need to push a little harder to get beyond that first stop to fully seat the plug in the Rift S.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

But the last Oculus update was somewhere round the 20th April and it's been fine up until about two weeks ago. I'm not convinced it's Oculus.

There is a known issue with the last Oculus software with regard to USB and driver conflicts.

As an example, If I play DCS while running Teamspeak and take the HMD off for several minutes, I get very bad VR stutters and the mouse will not track smoothly outside the HMD.

Shutting off Teamspeak usually fixes it as does unplugging the Oculus USB and re-plugging it. Not always but 90% of the time.

I know it isn't DCS because the exact same behavior occurs in another flying title under similar circumstances.

My regular wingman, also on Rift S, experiences similar issues in both titles as well.

Patience is a virtue.

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

There is a known issue with the last Oculus software with regard to USB and driver conflicts.

As an example, If I play DCS while running Teamspeak and take the HMD off for several minutes, I get very bad VR stutters and the mouse will not track smoothly outside the HMD.

Shutting off Teamspeak usually fixes it as does unplugging the Oculus USB and re-plugging it. Not always but 90% of the time.

I know it isn't DCS because the exact same behavior occurs in another flying title under similar circumstances.

My regular wingman, also on Rift S, experiences similar issues in both titles as well.

Patience is a virtue.

Interesting to hear that you’re having a similar issue. Only thing is I’ve got no other sims or games on my PC to try it on. It certainly sounds like an Oculus issue which is why I’m hesitant to delete DCS & Windows. Although I now have two quick test missions on NTTR setup, in the Viper, and the stutter happens in one but doesn’t in the another! Christ alive this is doing my head in!

Yes the cable does unplug, but here is the deal.

When you push it back in you will feel it come to a stop.

You need to push a little harder to get beyond that first stop to fully seat the plug in the Rift S.

Tried this tonight and checked the connection to the Rift. All seems secure and pressed in fully. Kind of hoping I’d find it half hanging out but no such luck!

Tried this tonight and checked the connection to the Rift. All seems secure and pressed in fully. Kind of hoping I’d find it half hanging out but no such luck!

That is too bad, I am stumped and don't know what else to tell ya.

I spent the bulk of today flying off the Supercarrier in my Hornet in the Persian Gulf.

Great fun. Rift S is performing admirably for me.

Don B

Did you unplug it ? Wipes the contacts , cleaning any potential fod . Otherwise , the only things left are windows/ dcs reinstalls (sorry !)

Or wait for the next Oculus update (hopefully soon as it broke another sim)

Or borrowing your bud's Rift for a couple days to prove the hardware .

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

That is too bad, I am stumped and don't know what else to tell ya.

I spent the bulk of today flying off the Supercarrier in my Hornet in the Persian Gulf.

Great fun. Rift S is performing admirably for me.

Really strange one this isn’t it! I’ll get to the bottom of it. I’m dying to get the SC but I’m reluctant at the minute with this issue. Cheers for the help mate...:thumbup:

Did you unplug it ? Wipes the contacts , cleaning any potential fod . Otherwise , the only things left are windows/ dcs reinstalls (sorry !)

Or wait for the next Oculus update (hopefully soon as it broke another sim)

Or borrowing your bud's Rift for a couple days to prove the hardware .

I didn’t unplug it to be fair. I’ll do that tonight and clean all the contacts, USB ports etc.

I can borrow my mates Rift for a bit as he’s not using it so it’ll be interesting to see if it’s ok with that. Bloody nightmare this, I’m usually pretty good at problem solving on flight sims with stutters etc but this ones got me stumped!

Try reinstalling mobo drivers, for USB ports, adaptors , I would do this through mobo website and not device manager as this always say they are up to date. Maybe run a track file, cover the sensor on your headset (so it think its on your head) and then scan through processes and performance as its running. See if there are any services or programs that are trying to do something and interrupting. I have as much possible off when playing to reduce background processes.

So after reinstalling DCS completely, Oculus and my BIOS updated it seems to have sorted it!

Now on 2.5.6 and everything seems spot on....fingers crossed.

Cheers for everyones help....:thumbup:

So after reinstalling DCS completely, Oculus and my BIOS updated it seems to have sorted it!

Now on 2.5.6 and everything seems spot on....fingers crossed.

Cheers for everyones help....:thumbup:

:thumbup:

Don B