No bullet ? - ED Forums

Notices

Old 05-22-2020, 11:00 PM   #1
dureiken

Default No bullet ?

Hi pilots,

is that a bug ? I and friends (VR and not) don't see bullets of our planes.

I see ones from the guy behind me

In external view I see bullets

Thanks a lot
dureiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 11:09 PM   #2
razo+r
Veteran

Check your gun loadout. There are some gun ammo mixes without tracers.
razo+r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 11:15 PM   #3
dureiken

ok thanks a lot
Old 05-23-2020, 12:00 AM   #4
Sryan

The PGU-28/b that the F-16 carries by default does indeed not have tracers. You can go into the armament menu and choose ammunition that does have tracers.
Old 05-23-2020, 06:34 AM   #5
deadpool

And just because of things:
Others will always see your bullets with tracers (even from the front or from the sides (which isn't necessarily how tracers work) ...

so if you think you can get some stealthy gunshots at someone by not taking the tracers -> nope.
deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 07:10 AM   #6
dureiken

Ok thanks a lot
Old 05-23-2020, 04:17 PM   #7
Rhinozherous

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpool View Post
And just because of things:
Others will always see your bullets with tracers (even from the front or from the sides (which isn't necessarily how tracers work) ...

so if you think you can get some stealthy gunshots at someone by not taking the tracers -> nope.
This is good to know
Old 05-23-2020, 06:40 PM   #8
silverdevil

a tracer bullet has a small pyrotechnic element at the end of the round. from the vantage point of the operator, ala a pilot, it is seen as a ball. when it deviates from its trajectory, it will look like a line. looking from the side, the tracer will immediately look like a line. i was a tank crewman and the sabot rounds did not have a tracer. however from the side you could see the round after it fired was a projectile seeming to be much longer than reality. tracers are the same. our eyes cant keep up with the velocity. no tracer rounds in an aircraft at night would be a huge advantage if there was confidence where the bullets are hitting. with tracers you are pretty much telling everyone where you are.

DCS - Flaming Cliffs 3 - F-5E - F/A-18C - MiG-15 - F-86F - A-10C - P-51D - A-4E-C - AV8B - MIG-19P - F-14D - F-16C

Alienware Alienware Aurora R6 - 3.60 Ghz Intel Core i7-7700 - 32 GB RAM - EVGA 1080 - Mushkin 2 TB SSD
silverdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 02:38 PM   #9
HokieRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdevil View Post
a tracer bullet has a small pyrotechnic element at the end of the round. from the vantage point of the operator, ala a pilot, it is seen as a ball. when it deviates from its trajectory, it will look like a line. looking from the side, the tracer will immediately look like a line. i was a tank crewman and the sabot rounds did not have a tracer. however from the side you could see the round after it fired was a projectile seeming to be much longer than reality. tracers are the same. our eyes cant keep up with the velocity. no tracer rounds in an aircraft at night would be a huge advantage if there was confidence where the bullets are hitting. with tracers you are pretty much telling everyone where you are.
Off topic and no offense, but what sabot rounds are those? The M829 120mm SABOT most definitely does have a tracer, hence the standard nomenclature of Armor Piercing, Fin Stabilized, Discarding Sabot-Tracer(APFSDS-T).
HokieRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 05:50 PM   #10
silverdevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieRob View Post
Off topic and no offense, but what sabot rounds are those? The M829 120mm SABOT most definitely does have a tracer, hence the standard nomenclature of Armor Piercing, Fin Stabilized, Discarding Sabot-Tracer(APFSDS-T).
no offense taken. i was a crewman on an m60a3 in the 80s. the gun was 105 mm M900. no tracers in sabot of this caliber and this time. though there were tracers in every other possible 105 round.

DCS - Flaming Cliffs 3 - F-5E - F/A-18C - MiG-15 - F-86F - A-10C - P-51D - A-4E-C - AV8B - MIG-19P - F-14D - F-16C

Alienware Alienware Aurora R6 - 3.60 Ghz Intel Core i7-7700 - 32 GB RAM - EVGA 1080 - Mushkin 2 TB SSD
silverdevil is offline   Reply With Quote