bad VR issue, Rift S

30mikemike

Hi guys,

I'm hoping someone can help me...

So for the last 8 months or so I've played DCS on my Rift S with absolutely zero issues whatsoever. I'll point out I'm still running the latest beta of 2.5.5 and it's been great. Until this weekend...

I'm getting really, really bad stutters and pauses in game. Started off on the NTTR with the Viper with no AI units at all. Now it's in every plane I get into and on the Caucasus map. It's unplayable. My frames are still good, 80FPS on NTTR and a mixture of 80 & 40 on Caucasus. I have absolutely nothing at all on my PC apart from Windows and DCS and DCS is on a separate SSD with nothing on it.

I've unplugged the Rift, plugged it into another port on the powered hub, re-installed Oculus, rolled back GPU driver, etc etc. I always delete the FXO and Metshaders2 folders also. I can't seem to figure out what's causing it but one thing I've noticed is when I exit DCS it takes longer to exit and the screen mirror on the monitor stays on for about 8 seconds ish. It's never done it before.

I'm at a loss here! Hoping someone can help but I'm starting to think it may be hardware, like a knackered 1080Ti.....

i7 8700k @ 5.0ghz. Strix GTX1080Ti. 32GB RAM @ 3600. 2x Hyper X SSD’s with DCS on one. Oculus Rift S. Asus PG278-QR. Liquid Series PC with liquid CPU and GPU cooling.

I have a Rift S and I solved a lot of my problems by reverting back to an older driver for my regular 1080 and was inspired to do so by another DCS player's post about how it helped him with his 1080Ti. I chose the same driver revision he did and it got rid of some problems I was having with Microsoft Edge and Aerofly FS2.

I am running 436.30. I did have trouble reverting back. Something went wrong with my uninstall of the newer driver that made the 436.30 driver report something missing and refusing to install. I had to use a driver cleaner in safe mode to get rid of the problem. Then I was able to install 436.30 and live the good life with increases in fps and stability.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have a Rift S and I solved a lot of my problems by reverting back to an older driver for my regular 1080 and was inspired to do so by another DCS player's post about how it helped him with his 1080Ti. I chose the same driver revision he did and it got rid of some problems I was having with Microsoft Edge and Aerofly FS2.

I am running 436.30. I did have trouble reverting back. Something went wrong with my uninstall of the newer driver that made the 436.30 driver report something missing and refusing to install. I had to use a driver cleaner in safe mode to get rid of the problem. Then I was able to install 436.30 and live the good life with increases in fps and stability.

Already tried this mate unfortunately. I've reverted back to two separate recommended drivers and it's still the same. I've been having issues today with the Rift connecting via displayport and reading on other posts this is a common issue. I've just managed to get it to connect so fired up the Viper in the NTTR and it's still the same. I get 80FPS on the ramp, look back at Vegas and it naturally reverts to 40, look forward again and back to 80 but these big stutters and glitches are just awful. I did also notice when taxiing to the runway that the frames were jumping all over the place and I've never had that, ever. It's either 80 or 40. God knows what's up.

i7 8700k @ 5.0ghz. Strix GTX1080Ti. 32GB RAM @ 3600. 2x Hyper X SSD’s with DCS on one. Oculus Rift S. Asus PG278-QR. Liquid Series PC with liquid CPU and GPU cooling.

Take a look at each cpu cores loads, while playing but also at idle.

I've had two sources of embarrassing/parasite cpu loads :

1st is ok and happens sometimes but not long, it's windows anti-malware running 30% cpu during less than a minute. Not a problem.

2nd was an issue, it was "system" process taking all the time at least 30% cpu usage. I had to do a proper cleanup/optimization of ssd c: using windows tool, to get rid of it.

When I had this issue it was impacting fps/stutters on DCS(vr), because cpu usage was much higher than usual (usually over 50% on all cores, but with issue it was near 100%).

Edited by toutenglisse

Take a look at each cpu cores loads, while playing but also at idle.

I've had two sources of embarrassing/parasite cpu loads :

1st is ok and happens sometimes but not long, it's windows anti-malware running 30% cpu during less than a minute. Not a problem.

2nd was an issue, it was "system" process taking all the time at least 30% cpu usage. I had to do a proper cleanup/optimization of ssd c: using windows tool, to get rid of it.

When I had this issue it was impacting fps/stutters on DCS(vr), because cpu usage was much higher than usual (usually over 50% on all cores, but with issue it was near 100%).

Just had a look now and there’s something called Antimalware Service Executable running Android it won’t let me close it. Doesn’t look to be using much CPU but power usage is high. Not too sure what I’m looking at in the performance monitor of task manager in regards to the CPU usage of each core??

The task manager snapshot was in the Viper on NTTR parked at Nellis with no AI, clouds or anything like that...Not 100% sure what I'm looking at but the RAM usage concerns me.

[ATTACH]235992[/ATTACH]

You certainly have something eating up your CPU Usage you need to deal with.

Mine at idle desktop is 2%.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

You certainly have something eating up your CPU Usage you need to deal with.

Mine at idle desktop is 2%.

This was sat at Nellis on the ramp in the Viper...

Just tried it again, this time in the Mig-15 on Caucasus, again with nothing but me. Good FPS, 80 and 40 but constant stuutering and pauses. Bugging the hell out of me this is as it's been spot on for months!

High probability that it's related to your ram being maxedout.

Also your last logical core seems very high (even with low reso/refresh-rate of tasks manager monitoring).

If at idle in windows you have no cpu usage (0% + some little spikes) then it's ok on this side. (but with 1 logical core near maxout in DCS, you could probably see benefit from turning hyperThreading off)

I've also seen high memory usage these times, but I still have room with 32gb. It's probably your culprit ?

Also your last logical core seems very high (even with low reso/refresh-rate of tasks manager monitoring).

If at idle in windows you have no cpu usage (0% + some little spikes) then it's ok on this side. (but with 1 logical core near maxout in DCS, you could probably see benefit from turning hyperThreading off)

I've also seen high memory usage these times, but I still have room with 32gb. It's probably your culprit ?

Yeah in Windows there’s no CPU usage, well flicks to 2% sometimes. Interesting re the Hyperthreading, I’ll turn it off and see what happens. I’ve just tested again and the RAM usage was at 9% but still the same issues....

I can’t understand why it’s just suddenly developed this issue? Never had a RAM issue before....

30MM

Something similar has started happening to me just after a recent Oculus update.

I can fly DCS for a while but eventually I very bad stuttering, usually after tasking the HMD off and putting it back on.

The only solution I have, only temporary, is to shut down the PC, unplug the Rift S, restart PC and shutdown, replug the Rift S and restart.

There are some recent bug reports that Oculus has a USB issue with certain MB's with the recent update. This may or may not be related.

I am also seeing a serious slowdown in my PC restart. Something, somewhere is amiss.

My specs are similar to yours with an Asus MB, I7-7700K, Strix 1080Ti 11Mb and the Rift S

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

30MM

Something similar has started happening to me just after a recent Oculus update.

I can fly DCS for a while but eventually I very bad stuttering, usually after tasking the HMD off and putting it back on.

The only solution I have, only temporary, is to shut down the PC, unplug the Rift S, restart PC and shutdown, replug the Rift S and restart.

There are some recent bug reports that Oculus has a USB issue with certain MB's with the recent update. This may or may not be related.

I am also seeing a serious slowdown in my PC restart. Something, somewhere is amiss.

My specs are similar to yours with an Asus MB, I7-7700K, Strix 1080Ti 11Mb and the Rift S

I'm beginning to think this is an Oculus issue rather than my PC or RAM. The only reason for me saying that is up until these past few days it's been absoloutely fine, for months. Never had 1 issue. Plus today when I unplugged the Rift from the USB hub it wouldn't connect for ages, said the DisplayPort couldn't be found. Never had that since I've had the Rift.

HT off made no difference. Possibly RAM but I'm not convinced, only due to the fact I've never had this issue before....

Just tried it again, this time in the Mig-15 on Caucasus, again with nothing but me. Good FPS, 80 and 40 but constant stuutering and pauses. Bugging the hell out of me this is as it's been spot on for months!

The last time I had a similar issue, Windows was stuck in some kind of weird update cycle that went on for days. Have you looked at Windows Update to see if its in the middle of downloading/installing something?

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

The last time I had a similar issue, Windows was stuck in some kind of weird update cycle that went on for days. Have you looked at Windows Update to see if its in the middle of downloading/installing something?

I haven’t checked that to be fair mate. I will. Come to think of it my PC did a Windows update yesterday so it may be something to do with that....

Yeah , sure wish Oculus would allow us some control over updates . I'm firmly in the "if it ain't broke , don't fix it" camp . Thing is , all these forced updates aren't even for the RiftS . They are for the Quest , which is the focus of Oculus' development efforts . But we still get bugged .

Just had two forced updates for Steam VR (installed for another sim) . Lost screen focus and mouse . Uninstalled Steam , and downloaded Open Composite . Much smoother and no problems . Will do the same for Oculus 1st chance i get . (Open VR ?)

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Yeah , sure wish Oculus would allow us some control over updates . I'm firmly in the "if it ain't broke , don't fix it" camp . Thing is , all these forced updates aren't even for the RiftS . They are for the Quest , which is the focus of Oculus' development efforts . But we still get bugged .

100% agree with you mate. Exactly like you said, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it! Bloody annoying this is because I wanted to try out a few more modules before the offer ends! I’ll get it sorted I’m sure....

100% agree with you mate. Exactly like you said, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it! Bloody annoying this is because I wanted to try out a few more modules before the offer ends! I’ll get it sorted I’m sure....

Maybe try the beta Oculus build ?

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Maybe try the beta Oculus build ?

Never thought of that, will give it a go....:thumbup:

The issues most of you are experiencing are indeed tied to the shitty V17 latest Oculus builds. (I teach electrical engineering and am a developer. I am using the SDK to build a SLI patch currently.) There are several methods for making sure that Oculus does not auto update (google em). That is your best bet if everything is working fine for you. As many of you know, the core development team that actually designed the Rift and Rift S has largely left, and what is left behind is a Facebook team that is focused on social applications, VR networking and bunch of other BS that in no way helps to maximize performance for core users (like us flight simmers). We are also not alone, ... the V17 2nd patch royally #$%#$! up VR for most Rift and Rift S in X-Plane 11.

Interesting that, thanks mate...I’ll definitely see how I can stop auto updates because they’re a pain! Shame I can’t revert back to previous Oculus updates a bit like you can the Nvidia drivers. Hopefully I’ll get this issue sorted...

The issues most of you are experiencing are indeed tied to the shitty V17 latest Oculus builds. (I teach electrical engineering and am a developer. I am using the SDK to build a SLI patch currently.) There are several methods for making sure that Oculus does not auto update (google em). That is your best bet if everything is working fine for you. As many of you know, the core development team that actually designed the Rift and Rift S has largely left, and what is left behind is a Facebook team that is focused on social applications, VR networking and bunch of other BS that in no way helps to maximize performance for core users (like us flight simmers). We are also not alone, ... the V17 2nd patch royally #$%#$! up VR for most Rift and Rift S in X-Plane 11.

Seeing how to disable app updates , but not firmware/drivers .