My WiiMote project is complete!

JonK

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very cool!

I just went over to our electrical dept. and they are wiring me up a very lite duty and very small 4.5 mm x 4.5 mm thin membrane switch for me to use on mine, I'll be using a very tiny micro battery holder as well.

All credit and thanks goes to Jonk who came up with this!

Thx.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just a quick question here, i do not own a Wii but would love to give this a go. Can you just purchase a Wii remote for this?

Yes, absolutely.

cheers!

MOBO ASUS P5QL-Pro, Intel Q9550 2.8Ghz @ 3.5 GHZ, 8GB DDR2 Crucial, XFX HD6950, TM Warthog, TIR4 /w Pro-Clip, 24 In Samsung Syncmaster LED, 2 X Cheapo 8in LCD's for MFD's and TM MFCD's attached to it, Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

I'm glad that this is something other people are interested in. I would love to see what ya'll come up with, with pictures of course.

For me, what I put up is actually version 3 of the glove. I had tried 2 different switches before going with this longer "pole" type switch. Previously I went with the smaller keyboard switch that was mentioned earlier, and also a smaller detect switch. Both of these though did not provide accurate results when clicking in the cockpit.

For me, I think it was becasue of the small click areas within the cockpit on the monitor. I found that with a visable reference, in this case the pole, the accuracy of the click was better. It also gives a reference to the eyes and brain as to where the click is on the screen.

Edited by JonK
Error between the chair and the keyboard
  • Like 1

Contrail

You are at the time that also gave me the most trouble. I had to find the right spot for the remote so it could see the entire monitor, without anything blocking it, while also at the same time moving the TrackIR out of the remotes field of view.

I eneded up moving the TrackIR up above my monitor about 6 inches, with the remote about a foot behind my left shoulder at the same level as my monitor. The only difference with this is that I now have to wear my ballcap and clip slightly back on my head for the clip to remain in the field of view of the TrackIR.

• Like 1

Yea, and its strange that the remote will pick up the trackir in a heartbeat but my LED seems to have a harder time. Im off to get some sleep. I will do some thinking tomorrow on improvements and will try and post some pics of my glove.

rep inbound to you jonk for getting the ball rolling on this :P

Edited by Contrail
spelling badly

Aka Slammer

-So it's DL a piece of software

-build the Glove

-Poistion the TrackIR and Wii-remote just right

... and BANG ! > ... you're good-to-go?

Make sure your is bluetooth capable, if not you need to buy a 20$ Bluetooth dongle.

Pit

MOBO ASUS P5QL-Pro, Intel Q9550 2.8Ghz @ 3.5 GHZ, 8GB DDR2 Crucial, XFX HD6950, TM Warthog, TIR4 /w Pro-Clip, 24 In Samsung Syncmaster LED, 2 X Cheapo 8in LCD's for MFD's and TM MFCD's attached to it, Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

Pretty much!

As stated above, the bluetooth USB dongle is also required. Found mine at Radio Shack for 10 bucks. I have also read that dongles using the BlueSoleil software are the most effort free in recognizing the Wii Remote.

Nice to see that someone else is picking this idea up!:thumbup:

This is a quote from my site:

19th September 2008

My Tutorial/Projekt Roadmap :

(...)

-Turn every monitor into a touchscreen using a wii-remote and a IR-LED/reflective-tape attached to your index finger. To use it with touchbuddy and/or a virtual cockpit. Similar to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s5Ev...iimote-162856/

(..)

I will release a video/text tutorial soon.

Yep , he's right. It's the same as a remote for your TV or whatever...theres no light when you press the button.

On that thought ....who doesn't have tons of old remote controls laying around for long gone devices? maybee it's possible to cut up a old TV or VCR remote and get the IR LED out of it and a soft contact switch?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System Specs

Intel I7-3930K, Asrock EXTREME9, EVGA TITAN, Mushkin Chronos SSD, 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z series 2133, TM Warthog and MFD's, Saitek Proflight Combat pedals, TrackIR 5 + TrackClip PRO, Windows 7 x64, 3-Asus VS2248H-P monitors, Thermaltake Level 10 GT, Obutto cockpit

The guy who hosts the software has a video where he tracks up to 4 fingers without having an ir source on a glove. Instead he uses IR reflectors on a glove, I am interested in trying out this method. Would it interfere with a Track IR ( I dont have one yet but i am planning on getting one soon) Here is the video

Rig Specs: AMD FX-60 @ 2.6ghz - DFI Lanparty SLI UT - 4gb Mushkin Redline Ram - WD Raptor 300gb HDD - EVGA 260GTX 940mb - SoundBlaster something Live:P - Samsung 20.1" Syncmaster 204B (Camera) and Shuttle 17" xp17 (Abris & Shkval)

Flight Controls: Franken Force CH 568/Logitech Wingman Force 3D Hybrid - CH Pro Throttle - Logitech Momo Wheel Conversion to FFB pedals - Belkin N52

I believe trying that method, although u may be able to track your finger in game, i dont know how you would get the mouse click to be pressed. Unless you actually pressed another button to make the click, but that would defeat the point of the exercise. I dunno still looking into it all myself so that might be a load of codswallop :)

If you want to sell this as some form of product, ill need 2, one for each hand

Half this forum will probably buy one :)

Edited by =RvE=Yoda

S = SPARSE(m,n) abbreviates SPARSE([],[],[],m,n,0). This generates the ultimate sparse matrix, an m-by-n all zero matrix. - Matlab help on 'sparse'