[POLL] S-3B Viking in DCS

SPEKTRE76

[POLL] S-3B Viking in DCS  

69 members have voted

1. 1. [POLL] S-3B Viking in DCS

• Yes, we are interested in Navy Carrier Aircraft
    • Yes but.....(explain in comments section)
    • No.......(explain in comments section)
    • No, I only fly fighters because I am too cool for anything else!

I was just wondering how many people in here would want a Carrier-bourne Anti-Surface/Ground Attack plane? I think the S-3B Viking would be a wonderful addition to the DCS World modules. It can carry bombs, missiles, torpedoes and depth charges and even nukes.

Just give it some thought and vote in the poll.

640px-S-3B_Viking_of_VS-31_firing_Zuni_rockets_1994.jpg

General characteristics

Crew: 4 (Pilot, Co-Pilot/COTAC, TACCO, Sensor Operator/TFO)

Length: 53 ft 4 in (16.26 m)

Wingspan:

Unfolded: 68 ft 8 in (20.93 m)

Folded: 29 ft 6 in (9.00 m)

Height: 22 ft 9 in (6.93 m)

Wing area: 598 ft² (55.56 m²)

Empty weight: 26,581 lb (12,057 kg)

Loaded weight: 38,192 lb (17,324 kg)

Max. takeoff weight: 52,539 lb (23,831 kg)

Powerplant: 2 × General Electric TF34-GE-2 turbofans, 9,275 lbf (41.26 kN) each

*Internal fuel capacity: 1,933 US gal (7,320 L) of JP-5 fuel

External fuel capacity: 2x 300 US gal (1,136 L) tanks

Performance

Maximum speed:

429 kn (493 mph, 795 km/h) at sea level

Mach 0.79, 450 kn (514 mph, 828 km/h) at 20,000 ft (6,100 m)

Cruise speed: 350 kn (405 mph, 650 km/h)

Stall speed: 97 kn (112 mph, 180 km/h)

Range: 2,765 nm (3,182 mi, 5,121 km

Combat Radius: 853 km [31])

Ferry range: 3,368 nm (3,875 mi, 6,237 km)

Service ceiling: 40,900 ft (12,465 m)

Rate of climb: 5,120 ft/min (26.0 m/s)

Wing loading: 68.5 lb/ft² (334 kg/m²)

Thrust/weight: 0.353

Armament

Up to 4,900 lb (2,220 kg) on four internal and two external hardpoints, including:

10 × 500 lb (227 kg) Mark 82 bombs

2 × 1000 lb (454 kg) Mark 83 bombs

2 × 2000 lb (908 kg) Mark 84 bombs

6 × CBU-100 cluster bombs

2 × Mark 50 torpedoes

4 × Mark 46 torpedoes

6 × mines or depth charges

2 × B57 nuclear bombs

2 × AGM-65E/F Maverick missiles

2 × AGM-84D Harpoon missiles

1 × AGM-84H/K SLAM-ER missile

The two underwing hardpoints can also be fitted with unguided rocket pods or 300 US gal (1,136 l) fuel tanks.

Avionics

AN/APS-116 sea search radar, maximum range 150 nmi (173 mi, 278 km)

Upgraded on S-3B to AN/APS-137 Inverse Synthetic Aperture Radar (ISAR)

OR-89 forward looking infrared (FLIR) camera with 3x zoom

AN/ARS-2 sonobuoy receiver with 13 blade antennas on the airframe for precise buoy location (Sonobuoy Reference System)

AN/ASQ-81 magnetic anomaly detector (MAD)

AN/ASN-92 Inertial navigation system (INS) with doppler radar navigation and TACAN

Up to 60 sonobuoys (59 tactical, 1 Search and Rescue)

Edited by SPEKTRE76
Subscription

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

NEED DESIGN PROJECTS FOR YOUR CAMPAIGNS? PM ME.

Could be interesting, but to be honest I would much prefer A-4,A-6 or A-7 instead.

If some solid form of cargo / supplying system was in place without script wrestling, than it would have additional ability to be a small cargo craft as it seem to have done IRL too.

Disclaimer : while I am quite interested in these carrier aircraft themselves, I have absolutely zero interest in carrier ops and would just take off from / land on good old tarmac:music_whistling:

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

I wouldn't say for A-G role but for AAR the Hornet when it comes out would be nice.

The model we have is an eye sore.

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

Yes the S3 could carry all of those things...but its primary mission was sub hunting.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

Im interested in it of course!

But guys pls in future dont make polls with options like "No, I only fly fighters because I am too cool for anything else!" and so on imo such possible answeres are just annoying...

Thats all.

Regards

Griffon26

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Never parachute into an area you've just bombed

You never have too much fuel, unless you burn.

I'm all for anything carrier based.. especially stuff from the era of S3, A6 , F4 , etc.

I heard it got the nickname "The Hoover" because of it's engine noise. What's the difference between an S-3 Viking and a Hoover Vacuum Cleaner? The Hoover Vacuum Cleaner has only one dirt bag in it!

Though if i'm honest i don't see this ever happening... there's just so many aircfraft that would fit in better. But in a perfect world hell yeah i would buy this.

Yea I would like it as an aircraft in dcs (manly because I want to fly a tanker) but like WinterH said I would rather have something else over the S-3.

Link to my Imgur screenshots and motto

http://imgur.com/a/Gt7dF

One day in DCS... Vipers will fly along side Tomcats... Bugs with Superbugs, Tiffy's with Tornado's, Fulcrums with Flankers and Mirage with Rafales...

:)The Future of DCS is a bright one:)

Im interested in it of course!

But guys pls in future dont make polls with options like "No, I only fly fighters because I am too cool for anything else!" and so on imo such possible answeres are just annoying...

Thats all.

Regards

Griffon26

I was juts trying to be funny brother. :lol: I wish they had avatars for the answers because I wanted to put 'Ice Man' in there.

This palne doesn't make sense without subs which can dive.

This is not the fact in DCS.

It's like having the A-10 but no tanks in game.

Well, it can fly off a carrier and land on one and land at at airfield and take off from one. An A-10 cannot do that and the S-3 can carry a bigger assortment of weapon types and can be a tanker as well. The Navy (and speaking from experience as an aircrewman on P-3C Orion's) hasn't hunted subs since the 1980's. We are more Anti-Surface than anything. This is why I was trained on the APS-137 ISAR (Inverse Synthetic Aperture RADAR). It is very much like looking at a 3D sonogram. And it's all digital. We see target tracks then we lock them up and then bring them up. And we can see in 3D what you are.

The new P-8 Poseidon which the company I now work for builds I am sure has "Much mo betta" equipment as my instructor used to say. I would love to see a P-3C in DCS but it has 5 tactical stations in it an 11 crewman. Speaking from experience it would take a team of 20 programmers to make that plane. My Sensor 3 duties could easily be a 20"in thick book or more.

Edited by SPEKTRE76

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It would be cool as a tanker, but since we will get buddy refueling pods for the hornet its kind of unintersting.

Really? I thought the C model couldn't?

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

Well, it can fly off a carrier and land on one and land at at airfield and take off from one. An A-10 cannot do that and the S-3 can carry a bigger assortment of weapon types and can be a tanker as well.

You better check your math. 4,900 lbs on 6 hard points is less than 1/2 what the A-10 carries...and I see 11 weapon types...not going looking but I Know the hog carries more than that.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

Really? I thought the C model couldn't?

It can't. That is a Super Hornet capability.

The S-3 is one of the platforms I worked on in my career. It was a very capable attack, tanker and ESM platform. All of the anti-submarine equipment was removed in 1996-7 and after that it was primarily a tanker with an outstanding maritime reconnaissance and attack capability. It was a poor tanker though. It could fly a long time on the fuel it carried due to the efficiency of the TF-34 turbofans. The problem was with the giveaway fuel was really too small of a load for the aircraft it was tanking (mainly F/A-18's and F-14's) as they were voracious fuel burners. I'd buy a DCS: S-3B Viking just for the nostalgia.

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

You better check your math. 4,900 lbs on 6 hard points is less than 1/2 what the A-10 carries...and I see 11 weapon types...not going looking but I Know the hog carries more than that.

I didn't say it can carry more ordinance just different kinds the A-10C cant carry. :) The A-10 does have flares though and the JDAM. The S-3 has the AGM-84 Harpoon and SLAM-ER. The SLAM-ER can be controlled in flight and be redirected to another target if the primary target is destroyed by another aircraft or is no longer dangerous. It can also be launched from 155nm away.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I didn't say it can carry more ordinance just different kinds the A-10C cant carry. :) The A-10 does have flares though and the JDAM. The S-3 has the AGM-84 Harpoon and SLAM-ER. The SLAM-ER can be controlled in flight and be redirected to another target if the primary target is destroyed by another aircraft or is no longer dangerous. It can also be launched from 155nm away.

Yeahbut...

The S-3 doesn't have BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRT!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Yeahbut...

LOL

:megalol:

I have other attack aircraft before this one in my "wishlist", namely Super-Entendard, A-7 and A-6.

But, why not.

RAZBAM is already on it. Check his threads and Fcaebook.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yeahbut...

When you have one or two of these BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRT doesn't really matter.

14236801513_235d68fdda_b1.jpg

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

We already have the engine in the game, after all :P

I'm just wondering how the multi stations would be handled. The TACCO is the one who fires the missiles. The SENSO is the one who finds the targets and sends them to the TACCO. The pilot just fly's the plane. The COTAC is the co-pilot. I'm assuming he is a bombardier just like in the A-6E.

:thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...