VampireOne

Reputation power: 0
VampireOne is on a distinguished road

Thx. Will do
VampireOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 06:01 PM   #112
BigMillerTime

Reputation power: 2
BigMillerTime will become famous soon enoughBigMillerTime will become famous soon enough

Bluethornton, any progress on this? First impressions?
BigMillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 07:07 PM   #113
lasvideo

lasvideo has a spectacular aura aboutlasvideo has a spectacular aura aboutlasvideo has a spectacular aura aboutlasvideo has a spectacular aura aboutlasvideo has a spectacular aura about

I did consider the Russian DOF Reality product but rejected it due to....

1. It took up to much space
2. There were lots of cases of US customers receiving damaged goods.
3. Its hard to return it if there are problems
4. Its extremely noisy with provided fans.
5. I had concerns about the durability of the wiper motors.
6. When you add shipping and US customs it cost almost as much as the NLR unit.
7. Getting the software to do what you want reportedly took a lot of tweaking.

The NLF is built by a Polish company who builds a large variety of motion platforms for business and industry worldwide. And it nicely integrates into the Next Level cockpits. DOF Reality is a glorified DIY product.

So it was not a product I felt was worth buying. YMMV.
lasvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 07:21 PM   #114
59th_RAVENS

Reputation power: 10
59th_RAVENS is just really nice59th_RAVENS is just really nice59th_RAVENS is just really nice59th_RAVENS is just really nice59th_RAVENS is just really nice59th_RAVENS is just really nice59th_RAVENS is just really nice59th_RAVENS is just really nice59th_RAVENS is just really nice59th_RAVENS is just really nice59th_RAVENS is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasvideo View Post
I did consider the Russian DOF Reality product but rejected it due to....

1. It took up to much space
2. There were lots of cases of US customers receiving damaged goods.
3. Its hard to return it if there are problems
4. Its extremely noisy with provided fans.
5. I had concerns about the durability of the wiper motors.
6. When you add shipping and US customs it cost almost as much as the NLR unit.
7. Getting the software to do what you want reportedly took a lot of tweaking.

The NLF is built by a Polish company who builds a large variety of motion platforms for business and industry worldwide. And it nicely integrates into the Next Level cockpits. DOF Reality is a glorified DIY product.

So it was not a product I felt was worth buying. YMMV.
The motors are not wiper motors mate.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

i7-7700K oc at 5Ghz | GTX 1080ti | 32GB DDR4 Ram | Warthog & Saitek Peddles | 2DOF Reality Platform | Custom GAMETRIX Jetseat | CV1
Our Website | Our Facebook Page | YouTube Channel

59th_RAVENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:59 PM   #115
Bluethornton

Reputation power: 6
Bluethornton is on a distinguished road
Default 2 DOF - First Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMillerTime View Post
Bluethornton, any progress on this? First impressions?
Hi BigMillerTime

as a follow on to my first post:

Unpacking and construction of the frame proved relatively straightforward, the only critique was that the details of fixings for the motors was sparse and I resorted to looking at the photos of the DOFReality website, where all was made clear.

The original seat that I obtained was from a Toyota Corrolla and it did not fit because the runner rails had all sorts of brackets which would have required more metal working skills than I posses. I the visited my local car breakers and spent a happy hour crawling around in the cars looking for a seat which had flat runners. I managed to find 2 vehicles, an Audi TT and a BMW 1 series; I plumbed for the BMW as the seat had more adjustments. I had no problems in fitting this seat to the frame, although there was no guidance as to whether its exact position on the frame was important to balance or not?

The electrical connections and PC connections were all trouble free.

The software installation and downloads etc went well, although you do have to follow the instructions carefully, especially the patching bit. I also, being a typical bloke, never read the bit about running the simtools manager and Simtools Engine before you start DCS or link to the motors doesnt work - No bigy really.

The first test flight was an experience - I must point out that I fly with Rift and almost exclusively the Spitfire, with Warthog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind. I started Ravens settings in Simtools and went straight into a free flight in Normandy. I found the whole motion violent and extremely sensitive and when I tried in the Huey; I almost did!! (No criticism of Raven at all).

I reset the Simtools settings to default and tried again, the experience was much less violent, I was very surprised at the level of movement you feel. I then spent many hours gradually tweaking the force (%) of the movement to reach a compromise between maximum movement sensation and vomit inducing throw around movement! This is very different for the A10c and Spitfire, which on reflection is obvious. I also found that careful adjustment of the joystick curvature helped to 'soften' the chairs reaction to the inputs. Interestingly over a few days my settings increased (%) to almost match Ravens settings; obviously just a case of getting used to the sensations.

I have over the last 2 weeks been just flying and trying takeoff, landings and Epsom Campaign and only in the Spitfire, the complete setup is a joy and very immersive, aside from the experience of motion sickness in the Huey on the first day, I have not felt sick, unless I am in a flat spin after hitting a tree!!

Now to be critical! The play in the motors i.e. free movement at the end of the motor arm which is approx 10mm on the right motor and 5mm on the left creates a clunky/jerky movement, felt mostly when using the pitch axis. The movement on the roll axis is smooth and is great in a full roll. The heave and surge also work well. I am investigating if there are settings/adjustments that can alleviate this jerky movement, it is holidays in Russia so I have not yet received a response from Igor. All of that being said the experience is very enjoyable and when my beer swilling friends tried it there were very big smiles all around!

Good purchase? Hell yes.
Value for Money? Yes.
2DOF sufficient? Yes - BBBBBBut, I will probably get the upgrade kit later.

In summary - Flying Huey makes me feel sick, the spit does not, nor the A10c. The combination of Rift and movement is truly euphoric, which for me has not diminished.

Regards

Neal

Last edited by Bluethornton; 01-09-2018 at 11:01 PM. Reason: poor english!
Bluethornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:23 PM   #116
BigMillerTime

BigMillerTime will become famous soon enoughBigMillerTime will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the review and thoughts. Great post! Any pics of seat and setup to share?
Old 01-11-2018, 10:27 PM   #117
Bluethornton

Reputation power: 6
Bluethornton is on a distinguished road
Default 2 DOF chair - Bluethornton

Hi

please see attached photos of my 2DOF chair setup.

Neal
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1647.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	175972   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1648.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	175973   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1649.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	175974  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1650.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	175975  
Bluethornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:31 PM   #118
BigMillerTime

Thanks Neal! Looks great.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:26 PM   #119
lasvideo

lasvideo has a spectacular aura aboutlasvideo has a spectacular aura aboutlasvideo has a spectacular aura aboutlasvideo has a spectacular aura aboutlasvideo has a spectacular aura about

Heres a different 2DOF system from Next Level Racing.

https://plus.google.com/photos/10238...CMe3tMnk3IOjNg
lasvideo is offline   Reply With Quote