F-4E Phantom news? - Page 4 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-10-2019, 06:15 AM   #31
QuiGon
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummingbird View Post
Such a shame, this game really needs more of the older jets.

I guess the F-8 Crusader by Magnitude will come out first then, a module I am also highly anticipating.
I wouldn't be so sure about that. I suspect the F-8 will still need at least 2-3 years to come out.

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

QuiGon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 12:02 PM   #32
Hummingbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGon View Post
I wouldn't be so sure about that. I suspect the F-8 will still need at least 2-3 years to come out.
Ufff, I hope not
Hummingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 03:18 PM   #33
QuiGon
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummingbird View Post
Ufff, I hope not
Well, they haven't even really started working on it AFAIK. They just started with the research. At least that's what they said in their most recent news update. And they can't develop as fast as ED does with the F-16.

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

QuiGon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 12:08 AM   #34
Harlikwin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard_03 View Post
https://combatace.com/forums/topic/9...he-gun-part-1/

This post had some good points highlighting the differences between them, and is alright read.

USN used it as fleet defense fighter and USAF used it as tactical fighter. The Navy attitude was more in line with what the aircraft was designed for. There's quite a few technical/equipment differences, (essentially two different jets) but IMO the biggest was doctrine.
Nice post
Old 09-11-2019, 09:36 AM   #35
Bananabrai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard_03 View Post
https://combatace.com/forums/topic/9...he-gun-part-1/

This post had some good points highlighting the differences between them, and is alright read.

USN used it as fleet defense fighter and USAF used it as tactical fighter. The Navy attitude was more in line with what the aircraft was designed for. There's quite a few technical/equipment differences, (essentially two different jets) but IMO the biggest was doctrine.
I wish we could have an F-4D after reading this.
I always like the looks of the short nosed birds better.
Well, that's not up to us to decide. I'm still happy about an F-4E

Build: Ryzen 3800X on X570, GTX 980 Ti, 32GB DDR4-3200 | Virpil T-50 Stick & Throttle, MFG Crosswind, TrackIR 5
Bananabrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 12:44 PM   #36
Knock-Knock

I'll certainly take the E, but I had secretly hoped for a J, for no other reason than Navy based, so ability to do carrier operations with a F-4. Those Navy Phantoms just looked so freaking good.

Either way, Im looking forward to a stream of Navy liveries, when time comes

| MSI Z87-G45 Gaming | i5-4670K @ 4.3Ghz | 16Gb DDR3 1600 | Asus GTX 1070 Strix OC | Samsung 850 Evo 250 & 500Gb | 40" Sony FullHD | Oculus Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog Stick (19.5cm extension) & Throttle | MFG Crosswind | Windows 7-64 |
Knock-Knock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 04:29 PM   #37
TLTeo

Or the F-4S with the slats to out-turn Fishbeds

edit: that writeup about the F-4E vs gunless Phantoms is very interesting, thanks for sharing!

Last edited by TLTeo; 09-11-2019 at 04:38 PM.
TLTeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:15 PM   #38
Hummingbird

The F-4E is the perfect choice if you ask me, considering how many AFs used it.
Hummingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:40 PM   #39
Vampyre

The F-4E version ED are supposed to be working on was only used by two air forces. The USAF and ROKAF. Everyone else used either the vanilla F-4E or a locally modified version not used by anyone else. The F-4E with the DMAS/ARN-101 upgrade would be great for DCS. That upgrade dramatically increased it's A/G accuracy which then made it just as capable as the F-16A. It was also the baseline for the F-4G Wild Weasel V. The basic slat winged Vietnam era F-4E would be an interesting module. The problem with late modifications is that they aren't really useful for simulating the earlier versions. take the F/A-18C for instance. A Cold War scenario wouldn't be able to use them and be accurate. Everything up to the lot 12 Hornet did not have MIDS and you can't take that datalink function out to make it more compatible. I suppose that is one of the failings of this study sim type set up ED has going.

In DCS, I'd like to see the F-4D, F-4E DMAS/ARN-101 and F-4G on the Air Force side and the F-4J and F-4S on the Navy side. Will we see it from ED? Probably not. From another developer? Maybe. Heatblur are doing A and B variants of the Tomcat and possibly the F-14D if they can get the research material.

The F-4 is one of those aircraft that a developer could make multiple variants of and still sell a bunch of modules. The F-16, C-130 and S-70 are similar in this respect.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"
Vampyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 12:03 AM   #40
Wizard_03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knock-Knock View Post
I'll certainly take the E, but I had secretly hoped for a J, for no other reason than Navy based, so ability to do carrier operations with a F-4. Those Navy Phantoms just looked so freaking good.

Same, when I think of the the F-4 I think of a Navy interceptor with big roundels and Hi-Vis liveries. I'm happy with the F-4E and I completely understand why ED picked it...but if it was up to me I would've gone with the F-4J

Maybe some day, someone can make it happen.

Last edited by Wizard_03; 09-12-2019 at 12:05 AM.
Wizard_03 is offline   Reply With Quote