Fuel Booster - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-11-2019, 01:00 PM   #1
TynMahn

Default Fuel Booster

This seems like a bug but may not be.

Why can I fly with all aux tanks (fuse, and drop tanks) without the fuel booster but, if I try to fly with the wing tanks, I HAVE to use the fuel booster?

Obviously, or at least apparently, there is a mechanical pump providing fuel pressure to the engine and works fine except when the wing tanks are in selected.

Also, I've watched a few YouTube videos of people flying real p51's and they turn off the fuel booster after takeoff and turn it on right before landing.

In this game, the engine dies if it isn't on and you are drawing from the wing tanks.
TynMahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 01:09 PM   #2
grafspee

Quote:
Originally Posted by TynMahn View Post
This seems like a bug but may not be.

Why can I fly with all aux tanks (fuse, and drop tanks) without the fuel booster but, if I try to fly with the wing tanks, I HAVE to use the fuel booster?

Obviously, or at least apparently, there is a mechanical pump providing fuel pressure to the engine and works fine except when the wing tanks are in selected.

Also, I've watched a few YouTube videos of people flying real p51's and they turn off the fuel booster after takeoff and turn it on right before landing.

In this game, the engine dies if it isn't on and you are drawing from the wing tanks.
If you fly level and gently w/o any negative gs fuel booster is not required.
If you do aerobatics or combat or fly high, fuel booster should be on.
Take note that some p-51 had 3 position switch on fuel booster off-normal-on dont know what exactly normal mean but it maby some automatic system which turn fule pump on if drop in fuel pressure accure.
Another thing is that most p-51 flying today could have modified fuel system so you cant realy tell what is going on in modern p-51

Last edited by grafspee; 09-11-2019 at 03:22 PM.
grafspee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 03:01 PM   #3
Ala13_ManOWar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TynMahn View Post
I believe they do so to avoid expensive and rare spare parts being worn out too soon (the same why they don't go full MP never, ever). But in a combat environment with manoeuvring and everything (not to mention you don't pay bills in the simulator) you should use it.

S!
Old 09-11-2019, 03:23 PM   #4
grafspee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ala13_ManOWar View Post
I believe they do so to avoid expensive and rare spare parts being worn out too soon (the same why they don't go full MP never, ever).
S!
Check p-51 called QuickSilver this one is rocking 61' quite often
Old 09-11-2019, 03:37 PM   #5
hazzer

Normally in aviation the fuel pump is on for takeoff and landing + any acrobatics and inversions. I have noticed that in a normal flight the fuel pressure drops and engine cuts out without any inversions or negative g
Old 09-11-2019, 03:40 PM   #6
TynMahn

I get your point about them not wanting to unnecessarily burn up parts that aren't needed. And also, that they would not regularly push the a/c to situations where a pilot fighting for his life would.

However, my point was, if I try to run on just the mechanical pump, in level flight and drawing from the wing tanks, the engine will die.

I will have to check to see at what other specific man press and rpm this happens at but, I do know that at 40-45 mp and 27 rpm, the engine will die on the pump alone if drawing from wing tanks in level flight.

My question is, "is this correct"? Because it doesn't seem like it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
TynMahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 03:41 PM   #7
grafspee

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazzer View Post
Normally in aviation the fuel pump is on for takeoff and landing + any acrobatics and inversions. I have noticed that in a normal flight the fuel pressure drops and engine cuts out without any inversions or negative g
You forget to add high alt operations in this case fuel vapor may appeare in fuel lines so you need them pressureised so booster pumps ON
maby after switching to another wing tank you need to flip booster on for second to pressurise fuel line.
check this.
Looks like drop tanks are pressurised by vacum pump exhaust.
And wing tanks need initail booster pump to make it work.
Fuselage tank is mounter higher then wings tanks so probably can work w/o booster.
So when you switch to unused yet wing tank probably mechanical pumo is not able to suck fuel from tank, becouse there is too much air in wing's tank fuel lines.
That is my gues. Another gues is that booster switch is inter connected to fuel selector so it will turn on fuel pump from selected tank.
This looks like good answer to topic question

Last edited by grafspee; 09-11-2019 at 03:56 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:02 PM   #8
Ala13_ManOWar

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafspee View Post
Check p-51 called QuickSilver this one is rocking 61' quite often
He have the money for sure .

S!
Old 09-13-2019, 07:22 AM   #9
whaaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazzer View Post
So Yesterday i tried this and i was able to fly very long time on wing tanks without Fuel pump.

im not completely sure what i did but i think when i moved the throttle to idle (was going into dive) the pressure dropt and i needed the pump again. but in cruise the pressure was stable without. i then tried it on higher altitude (35k ft) and no luck even with pump, the pressure was low

Last edited by whaaw; 09-13-2019 at 07:36 AM.
whaaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 07:41 AM   #10
grafspee

Quote:
Originally Posted by whaaw View Post
So Yesterday i tried this and i was able to fly very long time on wing tanks without Fuel pump.

im not completely sure what i did but i think when i moved the throttle to idle (was going into dive) the pressure dropt and i needed the pump again. but in cruise the pressure was stable without. i then tried it on higher altitude (35k ft) and no luck even with pump, the pressure was low
Fuel pressure will drop down up high, becouse lower ambient pressure(pressure boost from fuel pump remain same but gage is calibrated for 1ATM at 35k ft pressure is about 0.24ATM).Up high you will need fuel pump on. If you climb fast warm fuel can start boiling creating a lot of vapor, same may happen in fuel lines so booster pump on will pressurise fuel lines preventing creation of vapor.

Last edited by grafspee; 09-13-2019 at 07:54 AM.