Any real benefit going from 1080ti to a 2080ti?

Thick8

I just upgraded my CPU to a Ryzen 3600 and am looking at a used 2080ti with a water block installed for under a grand. The 3600 was a very noticeable improvement. Would a 2080 ti be a decent step up as well?

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

Well... I upgraded from a 980m to a 2080ti and I'm happy enough :)

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Right now I have a frame time between 18ms-21ms. So with reprojection I'm pretty solidly at 45 FPS all the time. A 30% increase should allow me to get a fairly solid 60 FPS with no reprojection. Does this sound right or is there more to it than that?

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

Right now I have a frame time between 18ms-21ms. So with reprojection I'm pretty solidly at 45 FPS all the time. A 30% increase should allow me to get a fairly solid 60 FPS with no reprojection. Does this sound right or is there more to it than that?

I saw almost no performance gain going from a 1080ti to a 2080ti. The 2080ti did seem to provide a little more depth perception somehow, but that is definitely not a quantitative measurement. The biggest performance boost I noticed was when I went from a Rift CV1 to a Reverb Pro. No longer needing PD above 1.0 in DCS gave major gains in performance, all with a much clearer picture. As far as a 2080ti is concerned though, at least for DCS, its just a big $1200-$1400 hole to dump money into.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

I would add that most of the forum members here who made the upgrade to 2080 Ti's from 1080s or 1080 Ti's don't seem that happy with the purchase. In some cases they paid a $700 premium for that 33% boost. That seems to be the general consensus.

No idea where you get that ‘consensus’ from.

I am very happy with my upgrade from 1080Ti to 2080Ti and would recommend it to anyone. The only thing that concerns some people is the cost, and that’s a different topic!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

full ack, also just recently got me an ASUS 2080 Ti ROG STRIX O11G, had an ASUS 1080 Ti STRIX O11G-GAMING before. It was on sale on a local shop here so I thought "why not?"

I was able to "up" almost all settings (using VR only, currently with a Rift S, awaiting HP Reverb) and still have a much smoother ride with the 2080 Ti. For me it is an absolutely amazing upgrade.

The question really only is "is it worth the money?", especially if you already own a 1080 Ti. So if you don't mind the cost, absolutely go for it!

Ryzen 3700X, 2080ti, 32GB, HP Reverb, Rift S, Thrustmaster Warthog, Crosswind, SFX-100 motion rig :thumbup:

Which, since Nvidia has no real competition in the high end, is supposedly at least late summer 2020.

Oh m8, you are completely wrong about that. It is already starting to happen.

RX 5700XT is 2060Super AMD equivalent in price but have performances of 2070Super. So Got much better performances for the same price range. Later this year coming out RX 5800XT which will be in price in the level of 2070Super but more near 2080Super in performance. Also, Q1 possible RX 5900XT finally AMD's 2080ti competitor in performance with significantly lower price.

They also working on next-gen GPU which is nicknamed in the house as Nvidia killer. AMD never do that before so that means at least they finally got a horse to race.

Also, Nvidia will need to answer on that with some price correction and even new GPU generation as well.

Also, new RDAN architecture could have more benefit to VR straight from the box in way of RIS (Radeon Image Sharpening), Scaling and 30% lower latency than Nvidia RTX. It is sort of SS/PD but on the hardware level with reduced impact on hardware performance and lower latency will increase smoothness. All of this works straight without the need to be implemented in the game like DLRS on RTX with much better performances. You need just to turn it on and set up in Radeon software and it is working in any game.

So your 1080ti is still decent GPU for VR but proper replacement still didn't come out yet. You should wait with a new GPU at least the next 6 months. The real deal just didn't release yet but they are behind the corner waiting to run out.

It is possible Elizabeth Hurley will show up at my front door tomorrow nude and in need of "emotional comfort" too.

(I doubt AMD will release a 5900 XT or some such, but I would be happy to be proven wrong, ... goodness knows that Nvidia needs real competition.)

The Liz thing actually is WAY more likely than AMD kicking out any high end GPU anytime soon.

They lost the race against Nvidia a long time ago (and it hurts to say that because I'm a real AMD fan since their 386dx40 days).

It may be that AMD will be closer to Nvidia in the future. I wouldn't *wait* for it, though.

Ryzen 3700X, 2080ti, 32GB, HP Reverb, Rift S, Thrustmaster Warthog, Crosswind, SFX-100 motion rig :thumbup:

All depends if you know what you are doing, a 2080ti can be a beast if you feed it right.

https://www.igorslab.media/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Metro-Last-Light-Redux-FPS-3840-x-2160-Pixels-Very-High-SSAA-Tesselation-16xAF.png

It's a much more efficient card and has huge OC potential.

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

I'm new to VR got my Reverb last week and I'm running a 1080Ti I have every thing set to HI except traffic and shadows to flat mass to 2 and SSAA to 2 everything on the right all-way to the right except Smoke which is about halfway.

Been thinking of a 2080Ti. I,m getting between 48 and 50 FPS in the F-18 using the Persian Gulf Map free flight and flying at 250 feet and at 350 thru downtown Dubai.

Can some one who has a 2080Ti tell me what kind of FPS the get flying the same flight. I know no 2 PC's are exactly the same just trying to see if the 2080Ti is worth it or wait to see what comes next.

13700K, MSI Z690 D4 Edge wifi, Swiftech H360X3 Cooling with Corsair Water Block, Gigabyte 4090 OC, 64gb Trident Z 3600 CL16, Evga 850W G2 power supply, TM Warthog,  MFG Crosswinds Rudder, TrackIR 5, HP Reverb 2, Pimax Crystal

No idea where you get that ‘consensus’ from.

I am very happy with my upgrade from 1080Ti to 2080Ti and would recommend it to anyone. The only thing that concerns some people is the cost, and that’s a different topic!

No, that is the topic. I mean, *obviously* you can drive more pixels and do more anti-aliasing with a 2080ti, it's just very cost-inefficient to do so.

People who don't want to take a crap shoot on a used 1080ti, or choke down the high marginal cost of a 2080ti, are wondering what the alternative is, if any, at the price point of a used 1080ti. And that's a big unknown. We have an array of cards with low TMU counts which may or may not do what we want in DCS and we won't know until they are benchmarked *in DCS.*

Shortcut is asking a good question, and I think the answer might be, "nothing." Going from 50 to 60 FPS accomplishes precisely nothing in VR, won't make him any more competitive or make the game any more enjoyable. The question is always, what will it take to get me to 45fps? For a Pimax the answer might be "nothing," for a Rift S (@40fps) "almost anything." The rest of us thinking about upgrading our HMD's and GPU's -- with scarce resources, meaning we have to make choices -- the question stands

Edited by DeltaMike

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

No, that is the topic.

No, that's not the topic. The topic is 'any real benefit...', and yes, there is.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

No, that's not the topic. The topic is 'any real benefit...', and yes, there is.

Yes I would agree, as long as the user has a beefy system to feed it.

I would not put it on say an i7 4xxx cpu rig with DDR3 ram.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

It is possible Elizabeth Hurley will show up at my front door tomorrow nude and in need of "emotional comfort" too.

(I doubt AMD will release a 5900 XT or some such, but I would be happy to be proven wrong, ... goodness knows that Nvidia needs real competition.)

The Liz thing actually is WAY more likely than AMD kicking out any high end GPU anytime soon.

They lost the race against Nvidia a long time ago (and it hurts to say that because I'm a real AMD fan since their 386dx40 days).

It may be that AMD will be closer to Nvidia in the future. I wouldn't *wait* for it, though.

That is exactly how they talk about CPU in Intel even a few months ago and look today what is happened. 5700XT is a reality and kicking 2060Super ass in any aspect from price to performance.

Competition is coming in the next 6 months like it or not. Even if you will buy Nvidia card will be smart to wait because prices of Nvidia is dropping as well as response to Navi.

Especially if he already owns 1080ti he can wait for something much better or cheaper 2080ti.

And Elizabeth Hurley was the best but just like GTX 480, long time ago.

No, that is the topic. I mean, *obviously* you can drive more pixels and do more anti-aliasing with a 2080ti, it's just very cost-inefficient to do so.

People who don't want to take a crap shoot on a used 1080ti, or choke down the high marginal cost of a 2080ti, are wondering what the alternative is, if any, at the price point of a used 1080ti. And that's a big unknown. We have an array of cards with low TMU counts which may or may not do what we want in DCS and we won't know until they are benchmarked *in DCS.*

Shortcut is asking a good question, and I think the answer might be, "nothing." Going from 50 to 60 FPS accomplishes precisely nothing in VR, won't make him any more competitive or make the game any more enjoyable. The question is always, what will it take to get me to 45fps? For a Pimax the answer might be "nothing," for a Rift S (@40fps) "almost anything." The rest of us thinking about upgrading our HMD's and GPU's -- with scarce resources, meaning we have to make choices -- the question stands

Yes and my point when I mention AMD is exactly is it worth it?

With switching from 1080ti to 2080ti he will gain some 10fps but with current prices, after he sells his 1080ti and recovers som from the initial price of 2080ti this 10FPS gain will cost 700$.

But someone will think it is worth it some not but situation on the market is right now like this. Soon the price of 2080ti could drop significantly even before the end of the year and be even 200$ cheaper than it is now. 2080ti is already an old model and value is still dropping. 1080ti is already reached bottom price and will not drop much because it is still one of the best performances cards we got right now. Only 2080S and 2080ti have better performance.

In the past was good to upgrade but right now it is not the right time for it.

That is exactly how they talk about CPU in Intel even a few months ago and look today what is happened. 5700XT is a reality and kicking 2060Super ass in any aspect from price to performance.

Competition is coming in the next 6 months like it or not. Even if you will buy Nvidia card will be smart to wait because prices of Nvidia is dropping as well as response to Navi.

Especially if he already owns 1080ti he can wait for something much better or cheaper 2080ti.

yeah, wait. Just wait. Tomorrow something great will come. Wait.

AMD released a really good CPU architecture, right.

That does not mean that they'll be able to do the same with GPUs "soon". It also does not mean that they will release a wonder battery next week, super-tasty instant coffee or the world's best beer.

But it's up to you. Just wait, something great will come.

Yeah that is one thing with this technology we use, something better is always coming along soon.

One could wait forever, or just get the best for themselves that they can at the time and have fun with it.

That is what I do.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

You all missing the point.

Right now we are really on the wrong. Even Nvidia is announcing a new generation of the cards. Revenue dropping same as RTX sell not going well. One of the main reason is GTX 10X0 cards are still a competitive and good choice.

Just a month ago this 10FPS gain cost just one month ago 850$. Now is 700$ and before Christmas could be 500$. That is my point.

BTW for your information, AMD got new architecture already in the form of RDNA. That architecture already showing some promising results and even 5700XT for the same price have 20% better results than 2060Super as direct Nvidia competitor. This GPU is the only reason why Nvidia reduce the price of the 2080ti for 200$. Like it or not but this is a fact and 5800XT is coming so tell me is this not competition finally?

He got 1080ti and I told him 10FPS gain you can get with 2080ti now will cost him 700$. I give him all information and hi is an intelligent man to calculate by himself what he will doo. I'm not be drawn in that AMD Nvidia worship war. I never say don't buy Nvidia buy AMD. Just saying right now when we starting to have some competition finally on the GPU market after 5 years and next year will be even better especially when Intell enter on GPU market as well. All of this is pushing Nvidia forward as well. He is got a good graphics card which could serv him good in that next year when he could see the final and best option for him.

RX 5700XT is living proof. Graphics card with 40 CU now is coming 5600, lower priced GPU based on 24 CU and in Q4 is coming 5800 on 56 CU. That is 40% more CU so it is easy to calculate will be in the range between 2080 and 2080S similar like 5700 is in relation with 2070 and 2070S in performances.

In Q1 2020. 5900 coming out based on 64 CU and this should be finally competitor with 2080ti. Those are the facts based on already known and existing technology. Again I'm not saying to buy AMD but this will reduce the price of Nvidia products even further in this next few months.

Nobody is missing any "point". Most people here are just essentially saying "you do you", and that's what people should go with. Endless speculation and egghead debates about theoreticals is all fine, but at the end of the day, it accomplishes nothing and funds nothing. As the saying goes-the best laid battle plan never survives first contact with the enemy. :)

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Don't trust overclocking it's almost always bullshit

I completely agree. Good to see someone else that sees it that way. :D

Cool. What?

Specifically, let's assume you're logged into a busy multiplayer server (so your CPU render times are >11ms right out the gate) you have a top notch CPU, great RAM and say a Reverb. What can you turn on with a 2080ti that you have to leave turned off with a 1080ti and still be able to keep the total render time <23ms?

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder