Wide FoV and checking six

stefew1966

Hey everybody,

Does anybody have experience using a wide FoV headset like Pimax for checking six in a dog fight?

In VR it can be tedious to check your six in a dog fight. I was wondering if a wide FoV headset makes this easier.

Thanks

Stef

I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, TM Warthog, TM TPR pedals, TrackIR, projector, Odyssey, Xtal, custom flight chair, Proflight Trainer Puma.

All good points. But I'm getting the Xtal in September. So visuals should be no problem. I'm happy to hear you mention it's easier with the wider FoV.

Thanks

Stefew

I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, TM Warthog, TM TPR pedals, TrackIR, projector, Odyssey, Xtal, custom flight chair, Proflight Trainer Puma.

All good points. But I'm getting the Xtal in September. So visuals should be no problem. I'm happy to hear you mention it's easier with the wider FoV.

Thanks

Stefew

Whoa look at moneybags here. Or are they releasing a consumer version?

Yep, very expensive. And no, it's not the consumer version that's been hinted at.

Lol, never been called that before.

What do you plan on powering the Xtal with Stefew? The RTX 9080 Ti won't be released until 2028. Without it, just like the Pimax, you won't be running DCS at high settings with great FPS and buttery smoothness.

(I ran the Pimax 5K with one 2080 Ti and it ran, ... meh, at mid to low settings. Trying to up very much at all lead to the single digits.)

From what I've read the Xtal is actually very efficient with the way it renders and warps the image, and the display has a really high fill factor, so it ends up not needing more GPU than other headsets.

Hmmmm, ... have to see it to believe it.

I suggest you look at Sweviver's video on the Xtal. He explains the way rendering is done with the Xtal. Even though it is the same resolution as the Pimax, the image quality is much better and with much less of a hit on performance.

He explains it much better than I could.

My PC specs should be fine. Based on his explanation. But, like you, I can't wait to get it so I can see for myself.

Stefew

What do you plan on powering the Xtal with Stefew? The RTX 9080 Ti won't be released until 2028. Without it, just like the Pimax, you won't be running DCS at high settings with great FPS and buttery smoothness.

(I used the Pimax 5K with one 2080 Ti (no VR manufacturer supports multi-gpu yet) and it ran, ... meh, ... at mid to low settings. Trying to up that very much at all lead to single digit FPS.)

XTal has lower system requirements than Pimax and it generates more frames. XTal has great clarity due to expensive optics and full usage of the screens, not extreme resolution.