DCS Server Control

• ED Team

(based on Werner ‘derelor’ Siedenburg text with help of beta-testers team.

Many thanks to all public hosters who help us in tests!)

DCS Remote Server Control works starting ver. 2.5.4.28090, based on Web GUI and has the following options:

Server tab:

Pause/start, stop mission

Change server options (Name, Password, Port, Integrity Check etc)

Run any mission from mission list, LOOP and SHUFFLE modes.

Add, remote mission to list. Save current mission list

Mission progress indiccator (based on mission triggers and goals as usual, WIP)

attachment.php?attachmentid=205321&stc=1&d=1551446370

Also you can see Log window in this tab (press </> icon on the top-left corner). Server log updates in this wingow 'on-the-fly'

attachment.php?attachmentid=205324&stc=1&d=1551446246

Players tab:

Show player list, banned list

Kick or ban any player

Unban any player

attachment.php?attachmentid=205322&stc=1&d=1551446412

Chat tab:

Read and write chat messages. All players will see messages sent by the control PC as white-colored server messages. At the same time, the control PC can see all game chat messages.

attachment.php?attachmentid=205323&stc=1&d=1551446246

DS_server_tab.thumb.jpg.95e7bf4a04940f9b7473d145cca1370c.jpg

DS_players_tab.thumb.jpg.f76b8af2b40ce13e13b050a57f38d045.jpg

DS_chat_tab.thumb.jpg.858b4a23908f3f12e2144623f442ae9e.jpg

DS_log.thumb.jpg.b5e02802f354cbe743517baa2843a1cc.jpg

Edited by USSR_Rik
  • Like 1

Men may keep a sort of level of good, but no man has ever been able to keep on one level of evil. That road goes down and down.  
Можно держаться на одном уровне добра, но никому и никогда не удавалось удержаться на одном уровне зла. Эта дорога ведёт вниз и вниз.

G.K. Chesterton

DCS World 2.5: Часто задаваемые вопросы

• ED Team

1. What is needed to run a dedicated server?

Dedicated server is not a standalone software, it's one of DCS start option. To run a server, a (separate) DCS base install is needed with all terrains (you wish to host) purchased and installed. We are considering possibilities for running terrains without purchase them in --norender mode.

2. How to run a dedicated server?

Currently, the dedicated server can only be started manually from the command line appending the following parameters to file

--server

runs DCS in ‘server’ mode where the simulator is started as a server with the first mission in list ["missionList"] (see ‘Saved Games\<DCS>\Config\serverSettings.lua’)

and/or

--norender

runs DCS without 3D rendering

or just

--webgui

server started as usual (i.e. with rendering and GUI) and you can control it via web interface.

Examples:

<DCS base directory>\bin>dcs --server --norender

(server started without rendering and launched first mission in serverSettings.lua missions list)

<DCS base directory>\bin>dcs --webgui

(DCS started as usual with full render and server can be controlled via web)

3. How to run several dedicated servers on the same machine?

It is possible to run several DCS (server) instances from the same install by using different write folders for each one with the “-w” (for “write folder”) command line parameter.

Also, each instance should use a separate game port and HTTP port (for the web GUI to work).

The HTTP port can be changed by editing the webgui_port line in file autoexec.cfg:

webgui_port = 12345

4. How to shut down a dedicated server?

Currently, to shut down the dedicated server, the DCS process has to be killed via Windows task manager - a proper shutdown procedure does not exist yet.

Note: While running the dedicated server in graphics mode (i.e., started without the --norender parameter), the game world is shown and the ESC key does not work.

5. How to control a dedicated server?

There are two options: local server started on your PC and remote server started somewhere.

5.1 Remote Control

For remote control, DCS servers use TCP port 8088 by default. This port has to be opened on the server's router for remote control to work. UPNP routers will open this port automatically (this feature is work in progress and currently does not always work reliably).

For remote control of the DCS server, the control PC (or device) has to be logged in into your DCS account on the DCS homepage. NOTE: your PC and server should be logged in the same account! You can't control servers started from different DCS accounts (this feature is in development).

In order to get control open your Profile page and select your server or visit URL:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/personal/server/ (EN)

5.2 Local Control

A. You can use the same URL as in Remote Control (note: you must be logged in to your DCS account)

B. Open the .html document

<DCS base directory>\WebGui\index.html

from your local file system. This allows local server control without forwarding port 8088 and logging into a DCS account on the DCS homepage.

NOTE (added by const):

You should disable uPnP in DCS in case of using manual address or port translation in your router for DCS application. Add line to your autoexec.cfg:

net.use_upnp = false

Otherwise DCS will try to automatically open ports in your router on default router IP via uPnP

ADDED 1.

Issue: Server's player name is just 'player' and can't be changed

Hint: Create folder Scripts in server home folder: Saved Games\%DCS_Dedicated_Server%\Scripts

and create in that folder file dedicatedServer.lua

with text:

net.set_name('your desired server player name')
local res = net.start_server(serverSettings)
if res ~= 0 then
   log.write('Dedicated Server', log.DEBUG, 'Failed to start server with code: ', res)
end

ADDED 2.

Issue: Web control does't works on MS browsers (EDGE, IE). Repair in progress. Please use Chrom, Firefox.

Edited by USSR_Rik
  • Like 1

Men may keep a sort of level of good, but no man has ever been able to keep on one level of evil. That road goes down and down.  
Можно держаться на одном уровне добра, но никому и никогда не удавалось удержаться на одном уровне зла. Эта дорога ведёт вниз и вниз.

G.K. Chesterton

DCS World 2.5: Часто задаваемые вопросы

well, just to remark this historical moment...

i9-9900K, G.Skill 3200 32GB RAM, AORUS Z390 Pro Wifi, Gigabyte Windforce RTX 2080 Ti, Samsung 960 Pro NVMe 512G + 860 Pro 1T, TM Warthog HOTAS, VKB T-Rudder, Samsung O+

F/A-18C, F-16C, A-10C, UH-1, AV-8B, F-14, JF-17, FC3, SA342 Gazelle, L-39, KA-50, CEII, Supercarrier Preordered. (Almost abandoned: CA - VR support please?)

PG, NTTR

Thanks! :thumbup:

We are considering possibilities for running terrains without purchase them in --norender mode.

Do it, you will gain more from more active servers than selling "a few" more licenses by server admins. :music_whistling:

Zapraszam na Gildia.org - polska społeczność DCS. :thumbup:

Is possible to run a dedicated server and fly as a client from the same machine?

Or you need one PC for the dedicated server and another for flying.?

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

Is possible to run a dedicated server and fly as a client from the same machine?

Or you need one PC for the dedicated server and another for flying.?

probably, but you will need 32G of RAM and it will affect your client performance

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

So the benefit is very small...

Well it seems the full potential for dedicated server is having a dedicated machine.

Thanks HC.

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

Excellent stuff.

I’m looking forward to feedback on resource requirements and general thoughts on best practices.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Well it seems the full potential for dedicated server is having a dedicated machine.

Thanks HC.

Not necessarily, it would be running as two distinct processes, so since DCS is so limited in that regard it will on a newer mutlicore CPU take more effect from having all those threads.

Also if for some instance your game could have a crash, and unless this also crashes other parts of your machine your server instance could be running just fine.

I am hoping :)

If it is tied in with your own account and whatnot, that might be a bit different, I really hope not.

Edited by Bob_Bushman

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

Thanks HC.

The only question then starts on resource requirements. If it’s not rendering any visuals, it’s footprint should be smaller than what we currently see, so we might be able to run the server on a fairly old second pc. I’m hoping to using either a laptop, of my current pc base when I upgrade later this year.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

great news about dedicated server :)

not so great news that we still have to buy terrains to host them :mad:

We really really really want to run PG on my server... but (mostly) out of principle we won’t purchase a second license.

Any timeframe on the decision whether to allow other terrains? My PG map sits idle, and likely none of us will purchase Syria if we can’t use it on our server.

Not to mention the hard drive requirements of leaving so many maps installed... will running in norender mode still require the map be installed, if you do allow free licenses for servers? Or maybe just a skeleton of the map for the server, to save space?

Edited by Sandman1330

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Good stuff.

Alienware New Aurora R15 | Windows® 11 Home Premium | 64bit, 13thGen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9 13900KF(24-Core, 68MB|  NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 4090, 24GB GDDR6X | 1 X 2TB SSD, 1X 1TB SSD | 64GB, 2x32GB, DDR5, 4800MHz | 1350W PSU, Alienware Cryo-tech (TM) Edition CPU Liquid Cooling  power supply | G2 Rverb VR

Good news that there's finally an official dedicated server option. But, as I understand it, this really isn't something new? Whats new is the webgui control interface. We already had a "render3d = false" option (not sure if it worked in 2.5). And to be honest, I don't get why you make it unnecessarily difficult, still requiring an account to host. Easy is the key.

I think you should just make available a completely free "full package everything included" dedicated server package download that is not "playable". This will only benefit the community. To actually play you would still need a purchased client.

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz
VR: HP Reverb G2 | HOTAS: TM Warthog Throttle and Stick

1. What is needed to run a dedicated server?

Dedicated server is not a standalone software, it's one of DCS start option. To run a server, a (separate) DCS base install is needed with all terrains purchased and installed.

5.1 Remote Control

For remote control of the DCS server, the control PC (or device) has to be logged in into your DCS account on the DCS homepage. NOTE: your PC and server should be logged in the same account! You can't control servers started from different DCS accounts

Please clarify this a bit .. in anticipation of the Dedicated Server release, I purchased the terrains ... but they were not available to purchase on my current DCS account (as I already owned them) ... so, I created a different account for use with my dedicated Server.

So, how can I control my Server if it uses a different ED account? I dont get it :(

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I agree with Rudel. I'd suggest just remove account requirement all together for dedicated servers. Why do we need an account even, to host a server? Strange way to go with this imo.

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz
VR: HP Reverb G2 | HOTAS: TM Warthog Throttle and Stick

I agree with Rudel. I'd suggest just remove account requirement all together for dedicated servers. Why do we need an account even, to host a server? Strange way to go with this imo.

Well I suppose they do not have a way how to prevent remote tampering with your server if you will allow remote control. The only way to go now is to limit it for your login.

Do, or do not, there is no try.

--------------------------------------------------------

Sapphire Nitro+ Rx Vega 64, i7 4790K ... etc. etc.