FW-190 D9 Electric Fuel Pumps problem

predattak

I noticed that my engine runs perfectly after turning off the fuel pumps (E13 E14). The fuel gauge indicates that both pumps feed the engine from both tanks at the same time EVEN when one or all of them are turned off.

I cannot control the fuel flow unless i use the fuel selector lever, manual says i should not do that instead i should control the fuel flow with the E13 and E14 breakers.

it's as if the pumps refuse to turn off once you activate them. super frustrating.

Can anyone replicate this on his machine?

Spawn a D9 in air

by default all the pumps will be turned on

monitor the fuel gauge for both tanks, they drain at the same time.

Good.

Now turn on or all pumps off and monitor the fuel gauge again

the same result the fuel will drain from both tanks as if the pumps where working.

Now you can do another thing that proves even more that this is a bug (i really hope it's not but)

Spawn a D9 coldstart

start the plane with only one pump on

fly and monitor the fuel gauge

it should drain fuel only from the tank with the activated pump

now start the second one and stop the first one

you will notice that both pumps cannot be turned off

you can even land the plane and stop the engine, disable all the pumps (it would be impossible to start without at least one activated)

you can start the plane just fine.. as if (and i know i'm repeating myself ) the pumps were on even when they were supposed to be off.

Edited by predattak

I noticed that my engine runs perfectly after turning off the fuel pumps (E13 E14). The fuel gauge indicates that both pumps feed the engine from both tanks at the same time EVEN when one or all of them are turned off.

I cannot control the fuel flow unless i use the fuel selector lever, manual says i should not do that instead i should control the fuel flow with the E13 and E14 breakers.

it's as if the pumps refuse to turn off once you activate them. super frustrating.

Can anyone replicate this on his machine?

Spawn a D9 in air

by default all the pumps will be turned on

monitor the fuel gauge for both tanks, they drain at the same time.

Good.

Now turn on or all pumps off and monitor the fuel gauge again

the same result the fuel will drain from both tanks as if the pumps where working.

But flying w/o electric pumps, you are risking having fuel vapor-lock in fuel system.

Now you can do another thing that proves even more that this is a bug (i really hope it's not but)

Spawn a D9 coldstart

start the plane with only one pump on

fly and monitor the fuel gauge

it should drain fuel only from the tank with the activated pump

not start the second one and stop the first one

you will notice that both pumps cannot be turned off

you can even land the plane and stop the engine, disable all the pumps (it would be impossible to start without at least one activated)

you can start the plane just fine.. as if (and i know i'm repeating myself ) the pumps were on even when they were supposed to be off.

Engine has mechanicly driven pumps too, it can run on those alone too.

Electric fuel pumps help to fill fuelsystem, and do other things,but once fuel system is filled with fuel engien will start even w/o them

Running engine w/o fuel pumps, you are risking fuel vapor-lock in fuel system

I dont know how exactly fuel system looks like in fw190,but i doubt that it uses only electric fuel pumps.

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

I understand that.

My problem is that you can't control what tank will drain first

If i start in air or i start both pumps on, that's it, i can't shut them off and start only one of them and so, both tanks get drained at the same time instead of the right order.

The only way to select what tanks are emptied first is to close the valve on one of the tanks with the fuel selector lever and the manual states that doing so it's not the procedure and that you're supposed to control what tanks emptied first with the electric pumps.

You may say that well the engine pumps are doing this but they are not because as i said before IF you start cold and only start with one pump only one tank will be used. (until you turn on the other one and after that there is no way of controlling the fuel flow)

You should try and see if you can replicate that if you have the module.

Edited by predattak

I understand that.

My problem is that you can't control what tank will drain first

If i start in air or i start both pumps on, that's it, i can't shut them off and start only one of them and so, both tanks get drained at the same time instead of the right order.

The only way to select what tanks are emptied first is to close the valve on one of the tanks with the fuel selector lever and the manual states that doing so it's not the procedure and that you're supposed to control what tanks emptied first with the electric pumps.

You may say that well the engine pumps are doing this but they are not because as i said before IF you start cold and only start with one pump only one tank will be used. (until you turn on the other one and after that there is no way of controlling the fuel flow)

You should try and see if you can replicate that if you have the module.

You cant control drain order with electric pumps

You got fuel selector hnadle for this.

You have to set both tank position for redudnency for t/o,but after it you should switch to rear tank.

There is a good reason why fuel selector handle is so big,so you can easy check on witch tank are you running.

But if you leave fuel selector fully open, mechanical pumps will drain fuel from both

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor