What happens if some third party company close?

SilentSierra

I spent a lot of money in these modules and with these changes on Leatherneck makes me wonder: what happens if some third party company close? The ED will take the project or will be dead?

Edited by SilentSierra
  • Like 1

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D MOBO: Asus ROG STRIX B650E-E MEM: Kingston FURY Renegade 64GB DDR5 5200MHz SSD: Kingstone Fury Renegade NVME PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD 4TB GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC CASE: Cooler Master TD500 Mesh WATER COOLER: Cooler Master Master Liquid ML360 Illusion HT: TrackIR 5 VR: HP Reverb G2 V2 HOTAS: TM HOTAS Warthog RUDDER: TPR Rudder Pedals GRIP: TM F/A-18C GRIP WHEELS: Logitech G27 OS: Win 11 Pro SIMS: DCS World, Falcon BMS, IL-2 Sturmovik, MSFS2020, Arma 3, Assetto Corsa.

I spent a lot of money in these modules and with this changes on Leatherneck makes me wonder: what happens if some third party company close? The ED will take the project or will be dead?

When Jane's closed there was a big following that to this day some still fly together long after their closure using forums like HyperLobby and others.

Of course there will be no updatessad.gif

Of course there will be no updatessad.gif

Given the changes to DCS World, lack of updates to a module could easily make it unusable.

You can't compare a module to a standalone game.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Good question indeed.

Instead of wild speculations we might get an answer from those involved who should know how such an incident will be handled.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Given the changes to DCS World, lack of updates to a module could easily make it unusable.

I would bet 10$ on your statement that after the first major update it's obsolete.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I would hope if any studio were to foresee closing that they would make arrangements to transfer assets to another studio (1st or 3rd party) for continued support.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I would hope if any studio were to foresee closing that they would make arrangements to transfer assets to another studio (1st or 3rd party) for continued support.

Interesting possibility but from a financial standpoint, not very practical. Debugging someone else's code is much more work than debugging your own.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Interesting possibility but from a financial standpoint, not very practical. Debugging someone else's code is much more work than debugging your own.

Didnt say it was perfect,

But said studio would prolly not only gain the source code, but any future sales, so would likely spend some time re-writing or adjusting the code to their internal SDK Tools.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

Unfortunately, if they're already financially non-viable, there's not much incentive to keep the business going longer while working through those arrangements. If they're in bankruptcy, they may not even be allowed to transfer assets/IP to a 3rd party without going through the courts too. (At least in the US)

As DCS scales with more 3rd parties and more modules, their current system feels unsustainable to me. I think they need to put more responsibility on the 3rd parties to own their individual module release schedules, with some form of API tied to the base engine, but that doesn't require all modules' copy protection to be updated weekly. Countless times we've waited weeks for fixes "ready to go" that could possibly have been hotfixed, but were waiting behind ED's master release schedule.

--gos

• Like 1

Unfortunately, if they're already financially non-viable, there's not much incentive to keep the business going longer while working through those arrangements. If they're in bankruptcy, they may not even be allowed to transfer assets/IP to a 3rd party without going through the courts too. (At least in the US)

As DCS scales with more 3rd parties and more modules, their current system feels unsustainable to me. I think they need to put more responsibility on the 3rd parties to own their individual module release schedules, with some form of API tied to the base engine, but that doesn't require all modules' copy protection to be updated weekly. Countless times we've waited weeks for fixes "ready to go" that could possibly have been hotfixed, but were waiting behind ED's master release schedule.

--gos

Also depends on what terms are laid out within the license agreement they signed.

Edit: Answered Above,.

If hypothetically tomorrow ED and all the makers of all the modules were not to be heard from again, wouldn't the modules work with DCS world just fine? I say this because in the past I sometimes waited a long time before updating and everything worked fine till I was ready to update.

I understand that if you update DCS world then the modules wouldn't work if they too weren't updated, but if as I mentioned, tomorrow ED and all the makers of all the modules were not to be heard from again we would all be flying 1.5.6 forever on private servers...wouldn't that be the case?

I include DCS world in the big picture because of what happened to Jane's, nothing is forever.

Edited by fitness88

... tomorrow ED and all the makers of all the modules were not to be heard from again we would all be flying 1.5.6 forever on private servers...wouldn't that be the case?

I don't know. Will MP work at all without the Master Server? SP would still work but MP might not.

All project resources are passed to us, to support the project, in case the developer dissolves.

Its a relief to know .. such a policy makes it easier to risk purchasing modules from the smaller developer houses. Thanks for letting it known.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

All project resources are passed to us, to support the project, in case the developer dissolves.

Is there a point or project scope that would force ED to hesitate in taking over? We've seen ED take over for the new NTTR map; can we consider that the largest possible project allowed by ED?

Owned: Ryzen 3900x, MSI AMD 470x mobo, 32gb 3200MHz ram, Gtx 1660 Ti, 970 Evo Plus 500GB, MsFFB2, TIR5, TMWH+18c Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Buttkicker/SSA, WinWing F-18C . Next is VR for simpit

Art Of The Kill:

Ok here is another question after Wags toke away my concerns about third parties stuff ( good question it was).

What if ED would disappear one day and due to hardware changes etc. our license keys are all used. Will we be able to register a module again to fly?

This is what makes me also wonder for some time as it is a lot of money invested in modules.

Regarding DCS it is the best and realistic flight simulator out there and the fact that I am not the youngest anymore I would love to keep on flying for as long as I life :)

And of course buy some more awesome modules and maps like a car lover cant resist to buy old timers again and again.

#1 This has happened before. Remember the WWII stuff? What happened there? No reason to think anything different applies now.

#2 Don't worry about 'if ED closes' that isn't likely anytime soon. However, newsflash, companies do fold sometimes. You can look at any one of a million examples. Most the time it is still available somewhere, occasionally, games fall out altogether and lose support. In those instances, often enterprising community members pick up the flag.

#3 This is all pointless. I 100% guarantee you eventually ALL your currently owned software will no longer be functional or supported by anyone. In twenty or thirty years, your average computer will no longer even be silicon based. Life happens, things change, deal with it. We don't use eight track tapes anynore, either, yet the world keeps spinning.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

We don't use eight track tapes anynore, either, yet the world keeps spinning.

True, but we could use 8 Track tapes, VHS recorders, Floppy disks, etc. etc. if we wanted to. They can still be used/connected to current hardware. Might not be the same for DCS if ED were no longer in existence.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

It's very reassuring to know the ED will take over if a 3rd party goes down (which hopefuly will never happen), thanks Wags for sharing this with us. I've often asked myself this question, but never here.

As far as the ED itself is concerned,... I'm playing games and sims since early 1990s. A lot of game companies came and went since then, very few are still active. ED was also founded back then, which means it knows how to run the business and survive. I guess the fact that ED doesn't only do consumer staff but is also on the military market helps a lot. I'm confident the ED will be around for a long time.

It's very reassuring to know the ED will take over if a 3rd party goes down (which hopefuly will never happen), thanks Wags for sharing this with us. I've often asked myself this question, but never here.

As far as the ED itself is concerned,... I'm playing games and sims since early 1990s. A lot of game companies came and went since then, very few are still active. ED was also founded back then, which means it knows how to run the business and survive. I guess the fact that ED doesn't only do consumer staff but is also on the military market helps a lot. I'm confident the ED will be around for a long time.

I agree, ED and Wags were around with all the other big nineties developers, ED's still here in the combat niche. Now ED is also running a separate commercial business too, this also is a little more reinsurance. I always thought third parties would sign a contract releasing their aircraft to ED, otherwise there could be potentially many upset people here, ED would have to pick up the ball and I really hope it never comes to this for any of the developers here.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

I think ED's actions after the initial Kickstarter for DCS WWII and what happened with Ilya, by taking over the project and making good on the Kickstarter backers rewards, is evidence enough there would be nothing to worry about if a third party developer ceased to contribute on their promises.

As far as ED itself, I highly doubt we have anything at all to be concerned about there for the foreseeable future. Of course no one knows what the future holds, for any of us.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|