Problem slewing radar in SU-27

xylem

Hi,

Since upgrading to FC I find I cannot slew my radar up and down (vertical?).

I have 'radar/eos scan' mapped to the ministick on my X-52 (as I did for v1.02, where it worked fine). I also have the Target Designator Cursor box mapped to the ministick.

I have used the punctuation keys (semi-colon, comma, etc., and their Shift- versions) as outlined in the Keycommand List to accomplish this.

The TD cursor in the HUD works fine this way, and the radar in the MFD will slew through the 3 sections Horizontally (left, center, right), but I cannot get the scan cone to move up or down. When I move the stick the little carret seems to wiggle a bit, but it won't slew. In fact if I use the appropriate keys (shift-; and shift-. ) it still does NOT work.

The ministick tests out ok in windows.

Has anyone had this problem. Is it a known bug? Or am I just missing something?

Thanks....

Thermaltake View 71 Snow, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master, i9-9900K Coffee Lake,8core,16 Thread,3.6 GHz, Corsair Vengeance Pro 64 GB, NZXT Kraken X72 AIO CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra Hybrid, Win 10

Aha. So I am.

Thanks for your quick answeer GGTharos.

I wonder if you would indulge me a little. I did do a search for this information, but could find none. Maybe you can point me in the right direction.

The only reference I could find in the read-me's was v1.1 which said ony: "The vertical radar scan zone has been adjusted for Russian Fighters. "

And page 230 of the v1.1 manual says: (Step 3) to set target elevation use the 'Shift-; and Shift .' keys, which basically I am doing. It also says you can "use the scan elevation caret along the left, vertical axis of the HDD. Control of this setting can be assigned a game controller axis." (which is also what I have done).

So, anyway, shouldn't I then be able to see the elevation in the HDD? It seems more ergonomic to have the horizontal and vertical direction of the antenna represented in one place. Is that caret supposed to work in the game?

And also in the HUD the elevation is not continuous but I have to keep hitting the button to get it to move incrementally; is this what was intended, do you know?

And one last thing: do the numbers in the HUD represent degrees? And so there are only 15 degrees of divergance from horizontal?

I guess I missed some 'required reading' about this; so coulld you tell me where I might find info on this?

Thanks, again.... :)

Thermaltake View 71 Snow, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master, i9-9900K Coffee Lake,8core,16 Thread,3.6 GHz, Corsair Vengeance Pro 64 GB, NZXT Kraken X72 AIO CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra Hybrid, Win 10

I just tested this to make sure - and the left edge scale on my HDD slews up and down with scan elevation: compare the two pictures scannin at +8km and +2 km.

ScreenShot_236.jpg

ScreenShot_254.jpg

With scan elevation you need to take into account your radar scan range as the angle of your scan cone is dependent on both: compare these two scanning at -13km but with 79 and 10 km ranges. The angle is much steeper on the shrter scan (look at both right edge of hud and hdd) as its focussing on a nearer area of the sky.

ScreenShot_255.jpg

ScreenShot_256.jpg

Aha. So I am.

Thanks for your quick answeer GGTharos.

I wonder if you would indulge me a little. I did do a search for this information, but could find none. Maybe you can point me in the right direction.

Gazehound beat me to it ... :)

The only reference I could find in the read-me's was v1.1 which said ony: "The vertical radar scan zone has been adjusted for Russian Fighters. "

And page 230 of the v1.1 manual says: (Step 3) to set target elevation use the 'Shift-; and Shift .' keys, which basically I am doing. It also says you can "use the scan elevation caret along the left, vertical axis of the HDD. Control of this setting can be assigned a game controller axis." (which is also what I have done).

So, anyway, shouldn't I then be able to see the elevation in the HDD? It seems more ergonomic to have the horizontal and vertical direction of the antenna represented in one place. Is that caret supposed to work in the game?

Perhaps you've run into a bug that no one noticed. It makes more sense for me to be watching the elevation indicator on the HUD though.

And also in the HUD the elevation is not continuous but I have to keep hitting the button to get it to move incrementally; is this what was intended, do you know?

Yes, it's supposed to be discrete, like on the real thing.

And one last thing: do the numbers in the HUD represent degrees? And so there are only 15 degrees of divergance from horizontal?

I guess I missed some 'required reading' about this; so coulld you tell me where I might find info on this?

Thanks, again.... :)

It's in 1000's of meters :)

The way it's set up is, you elevate the radar antenna to scan +1000 or -1000 (or more) meters above or below your altitude at the distance shown at the bottom middle of your HUD.

I strongly suggest increasing this distance for long-range scanning, as you with end up with huge gaps at long ranges if you do not.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

OK guys, thanks for clearing some things up. I appreciate your help in bringing me up to date; and upon further checking I see that what you say is true and works as such.

I think one problem I have is that some commands programmed into my Saitek X-52 are obsolete or wrong altogether. Some were carried over from earlier versions. And also x-52 can't distinguish between "+" and "=" since they are on the same key; hence 'ctrl +' (range/elevation BVR search) is the same to the stick as 'ctrl =' (which I have set to 'MFD Radar range IN'). This is causing no end of problems. lol

One additional thing, though. The manual says (pg24) that "The scan pattern can be slewed in elevation " :

1. "smoothly by direct elevation slewing" or

2. "discretely by the range-angle method."

I think that method #1 may be wrong (or unavailable) for Russian aircraft. At least I can't get it to work. But I may be mistaken; I need to do more study, and fix my programming (duh !) to be sure.

But once again thanks for setting me straight on so many things.

Cheers......