RWR Question - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 12-05-2018, 02:09 AM   #11
WindyTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe_goodoldrebel View Post
I think that's why we get launch tone from friendly aircrafts that are clearly shooting to aggressors .
In reality this is why fighters fly combat spread or Battle formation, it stops interference from each other's radars and ensures that if a one bandit spikes you, you know who is clean.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

GTX 1080 Has its uses
WindyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 01:13 PM   #12
MikeMikeJuliet

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindyTX View Post
In reality this is why fighters fly combat spread or Battle formation, it stops interference from each other's radars and ensures that if a one bandit spikes you, you know who is clean.

There are a buch of other factors but yes, that is one additional reason to flying Battle formation / Tactical formation / Combat spread (whichever term is used in any given country)
Old 12-05-2018, 02:03 PM   #13
WindyTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe_goodoldrebel View Post
I think that's why we get launch tone from friendly aircrafts that are clearly shooting to aggressors .
Maybe I should have expanded a little which may help. The beam width of the radar is a couple of degrees so if you flew through it when your wingman had his CW on ( our backseaters could just turn it on and did so every time we did weapons checks as a systems check ) you would get a missile warning. Generally you would not see the lock from him, as if you were in front of him, it would only be briefly not long enough for the rwr to consider it a spike.

In DCS for some reason an AI locks seems to blast way wider than 2 degrees but it appears to be somewhat better in multiplayer and the CW missile warning appears to everyone in a similar vein. It would be good if it could be tightened up and maybe it will with the new radar code.
In reality a 2v1 semi active is easy as the 1 can only lock one guy.

Unfortunately until this is fixed these RWR lock comments will still come up as it is frustrating and was one of my biggest annoyances at the start of my messing with DCS, but let's face it while we love accuracy the sim is a blast and maybe it is a correlation problem that would take too much processor time to fix. While the rwr lock indications may be annoying the Radars themselves are amazingly good lol.

GTX 1080 Has its uses
WindyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 06:10 PM   #14
BitMaster
Veteran

and I guess some is still highly classified....
Asus Strix Z370-E - Intel i7-8700K@5.2G_delidded - 32GB 3200/3600MHz - Asus 1080GTX-Ti Poseidon 2050/12006- 1x 960Evo 250GB - 2x 850Pro 256GB Raid-0 - 1 x 840 Evo 250GB PageFile - 2x Seagate 2TB - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@4x180mm fans - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" WQHD Gsync 144Hz - Oculus Rift VR - Win10Pro64 - Slave to the Machine
BitMaster is offline   Reply With Quote