RWR Question

CajunJosh

Two aircraft are flying at each other with radars active. The target air crafts RWR system detects the aggressors radar sweeping and gives an indicator to the pilot. The agreessor locks the target aircraft and the target's rwr system detects that the agreessor is no longer sweeping but locked constantly and gives the appropriate warning.

Now the agreessor fires a radar guided missile. The rwr somehow detects this and gives the launch warning. My question is what changed on the agressors radar scan from a lock to a launch and how does the rwr system know a launch occurred? Wouldn't the radar behavior of the agreessor be the same after a launch? Stay locked on target? Curious if someone in the know can explain this.

From what I understand, nothing should change unless and until the missile itself (if able) goes active because that would add a different radar signature to the mix. However, getting a lock notification should be the key that makes you do something to avoid getting shot.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

Negative. When a missile is launched, radar energy is further increased to its maximum energy output as it must now relay target telemetry. Essentially, the RWR is interpreting the signal strength changed as a possible missile launch.

With a semi active radar guided missile, you will never see the actual missile position appear on the RWR. That is the advantage that still exists with that type of weapon.

Now, with an active radar guided missile such as the AMRAAM, you will receive missile location once the missiles onboard radar has gone active (pitbull). However, until that point you will still only get the "possible missile launch tone"

So, for DCS purposes.. yes the tone change is a missile launch. However, in real world the alert is merely identifying the signal strength change which is MOST LIKELY a missile launch.

Hope, that clears it up a bit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.Vcw13.com

Asus Z270 Prime-A | i7-7700k | 32G Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 | EVGA RTX 2080ti | 2x 960 EVO M.2 in RAID 0 | 500GB SSD | Thrustmaster Warthog | Pimax 5K Plus

https://www.youtube.com/c/OverKillSims

Is the RWR in DCS sophisticated enough to make that fine distinction between search power / lock power / shot power?

yep

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.Vcw13.com

Asus Z270 Prime-A | i7-7700k | 32G Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 | EVGA RTX 2080ti | 2x 960 EVO M.2 in RAID 0 | 500GB SSD | Thrustmaster Warthog | Pimax 5K Plus

https://www.youtube.com/c/OverKillSims

That's why most shoot in TWS. This will not alert the RWR to the launch until the missile goes pitbull.

This article about the F-15 on Mud spike is a great read and shows just how deep (At the moment) DCS models this.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Actually when the semi active missile is fired the radar emits a Continuous wave (cw ) signal that guides the missile. It's the CW signal that gives you the missile warning. There is no increase in energy.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

There is also the addition of a datalink signal from the shooter to the missile, which can be detected by the aircraft's RWR system giving further confirmation on the launch.

So if STT lock, max operating power + shooter-missile-datalink signal, then missile launch.

In TWS the launch cannot be detected because even though there is a datalink signal, you can't be sure if it is directed at you or not.

DCS Finland | SF squadron

I think that's why we get launch tone from friendly aircrafts that are clearly shooting to aggressors .
In reality this is why fighters fly combat spread or Battle formation, it stops interference from each other's radars and ensures that if a one bandit spikes you, you know who is clean.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

In reality this is why fighters fly combat spread or Battle formation, it stops interference from each other's radars and ensures that if a one bandit spikes you, you know who is clean.

There are a buch of other factors but yes, that is one additional reason to flying Battle formation / Tactical formation / Combat spread (whichever term is used in any given country)

DCS Finland | SF squadron

I think that's why we get launch tone from friendly aircrafts that are clearly shooting to aggressors .
Maybe I should have expanded a little which may help. The beam width of the radar is a couple of degrees so if you flew through it when your wingman had his CW on ( our backseaters could just turn it on and did so every time we did weapons checks as a systems check ) you would get a missile warning. Generally you would not see the lock from him, as if you were in front of him, it would only be briefly not long enough for the rwr to consider it a spike.

In DCS for some reason an AI locks seems to blast way wider than 2 degrees but it appears to be somewhat better in multiplayer and the CW missile warning appears to everyone in a similar vein. It would be good if it could be tightened up and maybe it will with the new radar code.

In reality a 2v1 semi active is easy as the 1 can only lock one guy.

Unfortunately until this is fixed these RWR lock comments will still come up as it is frustrating and was one of my biggest annoyances at the start of my messing with DCS, but let's face it while we love accuracy the sim is a blast and maybe it is a correlation problem that would take too much processor time to fix. While the rwr lock indications may be annoying the Radars themselves are amazingly good lol.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

and I guess some is still highly classified....

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X