"Opposition defends Joint Strike Fighter over simulated dogfights"

Case

Apparently the JSF didn't do too well in simulated dogfights against future Sukhoi fighters:

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24328813-31477,00.html

Sofar I couldn't find any reports this article was referring to... Anyone have some more links?

There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion, BVR is also a major problem for JSF against Advanced Flankers. Just look at the number and range of AA missiles, then fuel capacity. I am not sure about the speed? How fast is JSF?

Edited by =4c= Hajduk Veljko

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Well. simulated aircombat. Can we get the report as pdf to judge this for ourselves?

Indeed, simulated aircombat, but the article in a Dutch newspaper that referred to the Australian source mentioned that these simulations were done by the Rand Corporation. With so many potential buyers for the F-35 it wouldn't make much sense to show that the plane is not up to it.

But as we both said, anyone know other sources?

There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Here's my translation of the Dutch newspaper article, as Google Translate messed it up pretty bad.

2016: Russians overwhelm JSF

According to an analysis of a large simulation the jet fighter that the Dutch government wants to buy is much too visible for 'the enemy'.

For the Dutch ministry of Defense, the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter is the only possible successor to the F-16. But a large scale simulation of the U.S. Department of Defense held at the end of last month, where the JSF was up against modern Russian Sukhoi jet fighters, delivers bad news for the Air Force.

During the simulated excersize Pacific Vision, the jets were 'clubbed to death like seals', according to a Australian customer who acquired an analysis of the simulation. This qualification is contradicted by the manufacturor Lockheed Martin, who admits that the JSF with other fighters was part of this 'wargame'.

At least seventy senior officials from the U.S. and Australia attended the simulation. They followed a simulated attack of China on Taiwan, which the Western Air Force and Navy had to reverse. The exercise went ahead to the year 2016. At that time both the JSF as the new Russian Sukhois will be in use, the latter in service with Russia, China and Indonesia. The JSF, according to the simulation, would be 'overwhelmed' by the larger numbers, firepower and better radar systems of the adversary. Especially the Sukhoi 35 makes short shrift to the alleged invisibility of the JSF, an important selling point of the fighter. The JSF is designed for rapid strikes outside the sight of enemy aircraft. Though according to the analysis it would also engage in direct combat, where it is 'doubly inferior' as it 'can't turn, can't climb and can't run'.

Initiator of the analysis, the Rand Corporation, is an influential American military think tank that is enabled by the Netherlands for a comparison of the JSF with other devices.

The exercise has no impact for the Netherlands, according to the Dutch Defense ministry. "The simulation focused on the establishment of a future Air Force fleet in which we do not participate. And it was a strategic analysis, not a simulation of the capabilities of the F-35 in aerial combat".

Original Dutch article: http://www.volkskrant.nl/binnenland/article1069130.ece/2016_Russen_overweldigen_JSF

The F-35 is the F-16 replacement that is not in service yet nor are its final specs known, and the flanker is a 30 year old air superiority jet without much to tell but airshow perfomances.

I dont see where you can start making any comparisons posssible, if thats possible on 2 jets of 2 different generations.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

I don't see where you can start making any comparisons posssible, if thats possible on 2 jets of 2 different generations.

This time it's not LockOn forum members making the comparisons, but the US ministry of defense. Hence, the results of this simulation would be pretty interesting. That's why I'd like to see some more information...

The US ministry of defense knows about F-35 specs better than we do, besides they made over estimations of the russian fighters before. Look at F-15, and more recently at Eurofighter. They both were designed to meet planes that didnt quite materialize and ended up without opposition. Even though many consider the Eurofighter already obsolete and over delayed the fact is it still managed to get by all this time without much to compare to, although I believe the term isnt "obsolete" for that very reason.

Edited by Pilotasso

My PC specs below:

I never realized that the MiG-25 "didnt quite materialize" ;)

You can call it over estimation. I call it heaving absolutely no clue about the opposition. They either over or underestimate things at an alarming proportion.

Edited by nscode

Never forget that World War III was not Cold for most of us.

The US ministry of defense knows about F-35 specs better than we do, besides they made over estimations of the russian fighters before.
And that's exactly why I'd like to see more of this simulated exercise! What are the specs for the F-35 and what are their estimations of Russian fighters? I doubt this information is for grabs on the internet, but both the Dutch and the Australians are potential buyers and especially the Australians will have Sukhois in their backyard, already now and more so in the future...

• ED Team

I don't know how "deep" you guys are interested into the military market, including the PR being done around certain military systems. There is a video circulating around to tell us why USAF needs the F-22, its pretty entertaining though.

So remember to take the results of such simulations with a grain of salt, because usually we dont know the setup etc.

Example: How many Su-35 vs. how many F-35 ? Which situation ? Which, which, which...

Obviously they dont want to tell, all the want to tell us: We need more or better F-35s !

I dont see where you can start making any comparisons posssible, if thats possible on 2 jets of 2 different generations.
Save some money buy and read the Yefim's Sukhoi Su-27 book.

41v2h9IYmkL._SS500_.jpg

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

I have more variety of books than yefins. ;)

My PC specs below:

Obviously they dont want to tell, all the want to tell us: We need more or better F-35s !

I wonder what potential buyers of the F-35 will think of this?

So far most of the buyers are participants in its development. All others will probably wait since production rate will be prioritized for member nations first anyway.

My PC specs below:

The US ministry of defense knows about F-35 specs better than we do, besides they made over estimations of the russian fighters before. Look at F-15, and more recently at Eurofighter. They both were designed to meet planes that didnt quite materialize and ended up without opposition. Even though many consider the Eurofighter already obsolete and over delayed the fact is it still managed to get by all this time without much to compare to, although I believe the term isnt "obsolete" for that very reason.

But You said Spanish EF2K was beaten by Portugese F-16, so I wouldn't call it being without opposition!

We must admit that this exercise simulated Su-35 fighters in large quantities. Here:

The JSF, according to the simulation, would be 'overwhelmed' by the larger numbers, firepower and better radar systems of the adversary.

An assumption that may be true during "cold war" hostilities but never actually happened! (xcept Israel)...

We already talked of US+NATO/Iraqi and US+NATO/Yugoslavia score in air battle. There was a single F-15C wing in Allied Force, that's...let's see...12 airframes against 4 and a half operational Fulcrums in YuAF. 80+ Yugoslav bis/MF Fishbeds never took off during AF.

So yeah, 4 JSF airframes might be clubbed to death against 30+ Su-35 but are there 30+ Su-35s in service worldwide by the 2016?!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

... And according to simulated A2A combat, 'modern' flankers now have a 2:1 exchange ratio against an APG-63v(1) equipped F-15 as opposed to the 6:1 the 'enjoyed' back when they weren't quite so modern. I'm sure we'll have flanker fans complaining over this one real quick now. ;)

You can set up any scenario you like in simulations; dogfights - in particular the furball that's being presented here, is the perfect way to negate stealth. It's a possible scenario, but judging the fighter's performance in a single scenario is probably not the best way to go about judging the fighter's performance overall.

I'm pretty sure a Su-35 would be quite overwhelmed by superior numebrs of F-5S' as well ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Not actively. They were ready and armed for A2G in case of ground war. In order to survive to see that day some were moved from airport to airport. The point is, they moved freely (but not easily) around, without ever being discovered, let alone engaged. All with the poor 50 year old RWR.

Kukes is a fairy tale btw.

Never forget that World War III was not Cold for most of us.

Before this thread turns into a fanboy orgy, did anyone read anything more about this, or is it only in the Australian and Dutch media? All I could find on google was this: http://groups.google.com/group/soc.culture.malaysia/browse_thread/thread/2911e8756d10682e/2bd5b0812651d5e8?lnk=raot&pli=1