Nevada Maps

I'm currently working on a complete set of maps for all Nevada Airports. They are based on the awesome Caucasus maps of the "Virtuelles Jagdbombergeschwader 32", so props to them!

I already drew all the Maps. But now I have a whole lot of data points to collect. And I could really need some help with that. If anyone wants to help, please join my Discord Server (https://discord.gg/bdXGBx).

The maps are based on DCS, not real world. So what you see on the map is what you get in DCS. And of course, I plan to release them all for free, once finished.

If I successfully finish the Nevada set, I plan to tackle the Persian Gulf next. Or maybe the new Marianas map, if that is out till I finish Nevada.

A photo of the set and one preview airport are attached.

IMG_0499.thumb.jpeg.f6270947493f25fe16059022375acb77.jpeg

857940899_Screenshot2020-02-14at14_15_45.thumb.png.f33d3f4f5bad3d42dffc60bfc8ff9d99.png

Edited by Balse

I'm aware of those. They are great. But I think I can improve on them. What I want is a totally uniform set of maps with all the needed DCS data in it.

After drawing all the TERPS Charts, I'm now working on the Apron Charts with all the Taxiways and DCS Parking positions.

Still, no-one, who is as obsessed with maps as I am, and has some time to help me with data collection?

Edited by Balse

I'm aware of those. But I don't particularly like them. What I want is a uniform set of maps with all the needed DCS data in it.

After drawing all the TERPS Charts, I'm now working on the Apron Charts with all the Taxiways and DCS Parking positions.

Still, no-one, who is as obsessed with maps as I am, and has some time to help me with data collection?

What data you need? You can use the 476, public charts and other sources like skyvector as your references, and simplify them for better readability in the kneeboard format.

The example you provided is pretty nice, although it can be further simplified (for example, why do we need the scale reference? or navaids on the apron chart?). What does black exxes (X) mean? If these are taxiways closed for traffic, then why do we need to mark D01-08 parkings if we cannot reach them anyway (especially if they are civilian or GA)?

Overall I very much like your idea to create a DCS-oriented set of charts. Just please don't try to fill them with an irrelevant information for the sake of more "realistic" look & feel.

Edited by Minsky

Dima | My DCS uploads

Thanks for the feedback. As you sed, I base the maps on DCS and not real world. All data should, therefore, come directly from DCS. So I basically need help with gathering data inside DCS. Measuring things is the mission editor and/or the F10 map.

There is some data who is not in DCS. For example, the taxiway numbers, what building does what, or designated areas on the apron, and so on. I will have to search that together from real world maps.

I'm always thinking about simplification. But I also want the maps to be usable for complex and realistic multiplayer gaming. But you might be right about the scale. On the other hand, it is a nice way to see what distances you are looking at at a glance. I think I will remove the navaids. You are right, they aren't needed here. Maybe place the scale where they are now?

White X on a black pill is a taxiway no. I just didn't got around to find the real numbers (could also use some help on that). So those are placeholders. The rest are the DCS parking positions. I will include a legend in the release.

Here a sample map set for Groom Lake AFB. For now, this includes the TERPS "overview" map and Apron charts for all places where there are parking positions.

The charts are still pretty beta and there is some data missing.

Any input is much appreciated.

GRL_TERPS.thumb.png.f4556953ca8a899ca843ab4ba79fad94.png

GRL_Apron_1.thumb.png.dde1b3712957f59c3bec2dc4f442898c.png

GRL_Apron_2.thumb.png.04fae3671e3f832cd92db81630ecc257.png

GRL_Apron_3.thumb.png.ec5d1aee03dd86b0ea07854fe9606d79.png

GRL_Apron_4.thumb.png.ecba20c74f3be75e44ba3ddb9a4309b9.png

I used the 476 vFG maps quite a lot now, its a great reference for everything who is not in DCS. Like taxiway numbers, for example.

I would love to do App/Dep procedures charts once I finished all the Apron charts. But I would definitely need help with that. Since we would have to adapt the FAA procedures to DCS, and maybe develop whole new ones for the Airports who have none.

Edited by Balse

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update. I spend the last few days drawing the Charts for the mother of all Airports (at least on the Nevada Map). Nellis AFB.

As of now, there is a lot of data missing, but the Charts are drawn.

I'm also working on a big (about DIN A1) overview Map. I hope I can share some samples of that soon.

As always, any input or feedback is much appreciated.

Nellis_TERPS.thumb.png.cb76f5a039a0c03177c5beb95aa84ec9.png

Nellis_Apron_1.thumb.png.035d1f59d44b9dadfe3e8e0f01d79d51.png

Nellis_Apron_2.thumb.png.3ec6aa419c048122670e2a6c1757ab03.png

Nellis_Apron_3.thumb.png.1edb31c783a3042f6ecbae22ecf31f4c.png

Nellis_Apron_4.thumb.png.e8299e6e038e73b0670c883053e9d518.png

Nellis_Apron_5.thumb.png.01633b7c9043b5cde8d0e99c079da664.png

Nellis_Apron_6.thumb.png.e0d16734fefcecb9d7c6179ad1c8a397.png

• Like 1

Jolly pad is wrong labeled. The pad at H07 is the jolly pad, everything else there is the jolly ramp.

dUJOta.jpg

Windows 11 | i9 12900KF | 64GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | TM MFDs + Lilliput 8" | TIR5 Pro