EDGE Chrome vs painted areas

Airsmetten

Just an observation from my side on the EDGE screenshots of the F-86F.

First of all, the chrome bare metallic finish is extraordinary, beyond anything I've ever seen in a Flight Sim. :thumbup:

But one thing catches my eye and that is the reflectivity of the painted areas, especially the yellow striping on the wings and fuselage.

Currenly they are reflecting in the same way are the bare metallic parts.

As these areas are painted, shouldn't they loose there reflectivity and have a more "flatt" look?

When you compare the real life pictures with the screenshots you can easily spot the unnatural finish of the yellow areas in the sim.

Any changes that this can/will be adjusted?

Grtz

Rick

2014-08-27_144231.thumb.JPG.991e313eae01e6b9c4413e45dbb14c33.JPG

-------------------------

Windows 7 64bit

Intel Core i7 860 @ 4.0GHz

Corsair Vengeance LP 16Gb DDR3 1600MHz

MSI GeForce GTX 970 4Gb

1*24"

--------------------------

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just an observation from my side on the EDGE screenshots of the F-86F.

First of all, the chrome bare metallic finish is extraordinary, beyond anything I've ever seen in a Flight Sim. :thumbup:

But one thing catches my eye and that is the reflectivity of the painted areas, especially the yellow striping on the wings and fuselage.

Currenly they are reflecting in the same way are the bare metallic parts.

As these areas are painted, shouldn't they loose there reflectivity and have a more "flatt" look?

When you compare the real life pictures with the screenshots you can easily spot the unnatural finish of the yellow areas in the sim.

Any changes that this can/will be adjusted?

Grtz

Rick

Nice catch... :thumbup:

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

I'd go with what sithspawn said. I've skinned cars in some racing sims, so I know that making a spec layer with differing levels of brightness results in certain parts being more shiny than others (I mostly use it to make decals matte), the lighter the colour the spec map is the shinier an object will be.

It's likely the F86 in EDGE (and probably the release version) just uses a blank or single tone spec map. If there are templates released and/or tools for opening up the existing skins (I've not looked into skinning for DCS) that's an easy/quick fix by darkening the non-metallic areas on the spec map.

But hopefully that'll be fixed by Belsimtek themselves...

Edited by Raven Morpheus

I'd go with what sithspawn said. I've skinned cars in some racing sims, so I know that making a spec layer with differing levels of brightness results in certain parts being more shiny than others (I mostly use it to make decals matte), the lighter the colour the spec map is the shinier an object will be.

It's likely the F86 in EDGE (and probably the release version) just uses a blank or single tone spec map. If there are templates released and/or tools for opening up the existing skins (I've not looked into skinning for DCS) that's an easy/quick fix by darkening the non-metallic areas on the spec map.

But hopefully that'll be fixed by Belsimtek themselves...

I agree.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

if the EDGE Chrome Shader works the same way the Current Mirror/Metallic Shader does,

it's just a matter of making the painted area's black in the reflective channel of the specular layer.

I think I Adjusted the Spec Map to be brighter and it didnt really effect the F-86's reflection.

Tonight I will see if making Decals/Painted Area's black in the reflection Channel works as it should.

The Current Spec layer has almost the entire surface reflective, so You should be able to open that on PhotoShop, Save a New PS Project,

Highlight All Layers except the base in the Diffuse PSD, (So Decals+Painted On Logo's / Stripes only),

Move those layers to the new Specular MAP Project, merge them into a single layer (the decals/painted on logos) , So you should have the original Specular Layer + You Decals,

Convert The Decals/Painted Layer to Black and White, goto channel mode, and make all 3 channels black.

Go back to Layer Mode,

save the new specular DDS, done.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I uploaded a new spec DDS,

This one has the decals and painted areas of the default skin made matte.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5cIIRNjrbc7TTY4Y003aTIyLTA/edit?usp=sharing

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs