Canucking the Sabre...

jocko417

Once the paint kit is available I plan on doing some skins, the F-86F-35 is close to both the Canadair Mk.2/4 {F-86E (M)}, as delivered to the RAF, Turks and Greeks; and, with some minor panel line changes, the Canadair Mk.5 and early Mk.6.

Have started playing with the cockpit textures as well:

dcs2014-07-2716-29-34-71_zpse5f8a96e.jpg

Black instrument panel, Canadair-style Ejection placard, added white stripes to VMO needle on ASI.

dcs2014-07-2716-30-02-26_zps7a0e8c18.jpg

Grey throttle grip and Flap lever handle, black Emerg Speed Brake knob, Bombing Caution placard. My old man flew Sabres, he has both a stick grip and throttle grip in his den. Sending him the video links to DCS:F-86F now :)

I'm sure BST has done the major liveries for her.. Just leaves us artists todo the rest and some more.

Looking good so far.

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

Just playing around right now and seeing how things work and where different textures are. I'm not going to get too carried away as this is still a beta. Last time I rushed into things was DCS: P-51D and they ended up changing the mapping around the nose and my skins had to be redone.

Also, with Edge and 2.0 coming I'm not sure I want to get into specular files etc until I see what we have to work with in the new engine.

BTW, I'm not interested in the major liveries... just all the minor ones ;)

Edited by jocko417

Once the paint kit is available I plan on doing some skins, the F-86F-35 is close to both the Canadair Mk.2/4 {F-86E (M)}, as delivered to the RAF, Turks and Greeks; and, with some minor panel line changes, the Canadair Mk.5 and early Mk.6.

Unfortunately not..... as far as I am aware, the CL 13 Mk 5 and 6, were different beasts entirely. Featuring uprated engines, and the Mk 6 I know for sure had slatted wings.

FC3, UH-1, P-51D, Mi-8, A-10C, F-86F, FW 190D9, KA-50, Gazelle, Mig 21, M-2000C, F-5E, Spitfire IX, A/V-8B, F/A-18C, F-14, FW 190A8, F-16C, P-47D

NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf

Virpil: Warbrd, Alpha-R, Mongoose CM-2 throttle, Warbrd rudder

Mk6's had an extra +-1500 pounds force over the Mk2.

461e37853f7e7_large.jpg

461e3a386bbf8_large.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

SAAFSabre377.jpg

Edited by Vlerkies

Thermaltake View 91, Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra, i9 9900K, Corsair H150i Pro, 32Gb Trident Z 3200, Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 2080ti, Corsair AX1200i, Warthog A-10 Hotas, MFG Crosswind pedals, TiR5 Pro, HP Reverb Pro

One of the first things I'd change if I had the skills would be to change the internal colour of the speedbrakes,I don't know where the dev got the red colour from,the real F-86 had olive green internal coloured speed brakes see pic.

Small issue I know but it would be nice to address it at some stage,in fact if someone has the relevant skills to change this I'd be very grateful,just a small file that we could pop into the skin folder so that it overwrites the original or something.

f86fsb7.jpg

Edited by Basco1

Chillblast Fusion Cirrus 2 FS Pc/Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU/Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 8GB/Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD/16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory/Asus STRIX Z270F Gaming Motherboard/Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooler/TM Warthog with MFG 10cm Extension/WINWING Orion Rudder Pedals (With Damper Edition)/TrackiR5/Windows 11 Home

Amazing,that's the first pic of the red internal coloured speed brakes I've seen,all the ones I've trawled through are in olive green.

Although however,if you look close enough at your photo,you can see the green paint showing through the worn areas,I still reckon this red colour is an overpaint of the original factory olive green colour,it was the same Olive Green colour as used in the P-51's cockpits I think.

BTW,I am not casting a critical eye over this issue,just an observational one,the devs have done a great job on this F-86 :thumbup:

Edited by Basco1

Chillblast Fusion Cirrus 2 FS Pc/Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU/Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 8GB/Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD/16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory/Asus STRIX Z270F Gaming Motherboard/Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooler/TM Warthog with MFG 10cm Extension/WINWING Orion Rudder Pedals (With Damper Edition)/TrackiR5/Windows 11 Home

Unfortunately not..... as far as I am aware, the CL 13 Mk 5 and 6, were different beasts entirely. Featuring uprated engines, and the Mk 6 I know for sure had slatted wings.

Yeah, there's not much I can do about the rather anemic J-47 but various panel lines can be changed to give the impression of a CL13A/B. We can dream, can't we? :) Just can't do anything about existing J-47 vent ports in the fuselage, and I'll have to draw the side vents and sugar scoops.

The first 220 or so Mk.6s had the hard edged 6-3 wing. When production changed to the slatted version most were retrofitted, although a few went to the Luftwaffe as training airframes, still with the hard edge.

Edited by jocko417

BTW,I am not casting a critical eye over this issue,just an observational one,the devs have done a great job on this F-86 :thumbup:

Not at all. It might be Sqn specific, year specific or country specific. Therein lies the problem when modelling an aircraft. That's why, when possible, ED will model a specific airframe to start with.

i7-7700K : 16Gb DDR4 2800 Mhz : Asus Mobo : 2TB HDD : Intel 520 SSD 240gb : RTX 2080ti: Win10 64pro : Dx10 : TrackiR4 : TM Warthog : ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q

Here's an even better pic of the internal colour.

airbrake.jpg

...dcs2014-07-2716-29-34-71_zpse5f8a96e.jpg

Black instrument panel...

Jocko, maybe it's better make a little difference in black tone, between gauge color and panel color, right?

i7-2600 @3.4GHz | Corsair 16GB @1600MHz. | MSI GTX1660Ti Gaming X | Samsung 256GB SSD (Win10HPx64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

Jocko,love the new black dash but personally I prefer the darker throttle,is there a way we can 'cherry'pick you're work to suit our personal preferences.

Top work matey :thumbup:

@Devrim, oh, things are far from finished, I'm just playing around a bit right now. There's plenty of stuff to add like paint chipping near the odd screw hole and general dirt - look at the forward L and R panels for an example. Maybe not quite so grungy on the main instrument panel however, not as many fingers on it vs the side panels

Here's a (crappy) pic of a Canadair main panel:

092A3272-F3F3-4C8C-8959-DF12FD47F3B2_zps2mmjksrq.jpg

@Basco1 yes, that's definitely possible, I did some fictional Canadian skins for the A-10C a while back and another forum member (Bonedust) wrote a neat little installer for me so you could select pilot skins with appropriate squadron patches to match the skin choice. BTW, when is DCS going to give us a drop down menu for pilot skins - HINT HINT! ;)

Here's a pic of the left side of a Canadair 'pit:

BE3F1272-E68F-4414-9BB3-4D87E33C19A5_zpsxl7wz6n7.jpg

That mess forward of the bombing caution placard is a legend for the circuit breaker panel.

How's progress coming along on your superb black instrument panel jocko,we're all waiting patiently to download this masterpiece mate.

How's progress coming along on your superb black instrument panel jocko,we're all waiting patiently to download this masterpiece mate.

+1 :thumbup:

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

Looks great! Nice work

Kind regards

Jorik

Intel i7 8700k 5,0Ghz OC

Nvidia GTX1080Ti

32Gb DDR4 3200Mhz RAM

HP Reverb Pro

Selfmade Alu Rail 4080 mounts

TM HOTAS WARTHOG

Virpil 100mm extension + Virpil VFX + TM F/A-18 Stick

TM MFD's

Saitek Pedals

Jocko...........

Your work is absolutely AMAZING. That skin is awesome, boy you have some talent.

You know it's guy's like you that make these forums and the DCS community a very special place. I was just looking at another thread earlier where a guy was getting slated for offering to help!!!! of all things. Reading that thread I thought here we go again, a public forum going wrong, then I read this thread and it reminds me how great this community really is and the skilled folk we have that come here and grace us with their time and effort.

Well done mate......as you say, it's coming along very nicely.

Now to more important matters........release date plz??? :thumbup:

Edited by bart

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

Bart, thanks for the kinds words, flattery will get you everywhere ;)

Seriously, there's a lot of talented folks here that I aspire to be as good as one day. I do have the advantage of having a lot of Sabre resources, including a lot of digital copies of personal period photos that were sent to me by some guys who were at the tip of the spear back in the fifties and early sixties. Seeing as you're from the U.K. You may be interested in these:

9C388454-2412-4F46-B213-29B9B7A678EF_zps0z6qny36.jpg

7726DA88-7853-4945-A559-F5433F6C7C5B_zpstl6deqdw.jpg

I plan on doing some RAF skins, both camo and bare metal ones. She'll look good wearing 112 Sqn shark teeth! :)

Still a lot of stuff to do, having the template will help a lot. Should make it easier to locate all the tiny parts.

Once everything looks good it'll be time to get her all dirty ;)