Looking for comprehensive dumb bombing guides

JayPee

Eddie, bear with me please and see if you can spot my error..

I'm trying to do an 82 20LD2 by the book. Well, actually a 82 20LD1 to save ordnance for some more runs but I'm following the -2 sled. I roll in at slightly less than 4000 AGL. By the time I roll out I'm at 2500 AGL but I'm at 15 nose down instead of 20 and I still have to pull up a bit to get the DRC on target. This is probably my first error.

As of now I'm about to get the cross in my pipper as the MRC is exceeded and both the pipper and MRS are comming together at my target. Eventually I deliver at 1500 AGL and 9 out of 10 times I manage to blow up a small bunker with a single 82. Although I'm obviously doing something wrong. What is happening here? Why do I get a cross in my pipper and why do I exceed past the MRC/MRS? My delivering ALT of 1500 is far above the MIN ALT of 800. DTOF set to 6.6 as per sled.

The about cue and MRC logic in DCS isn't quite right. This shows up with lower altitude deliveries with the IFFCC giving about cues for a perfectly safe and valid deliver. As for being low/shallow, something is off with either your you base distance/alt or your base turn. Hard to tell without actually seeing it either in person or via TacView.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

• 2 weeks later...

Just flew my first 85 45HB2 (two dry passes at first to get the feel, then bracketed the target :) ) and am wondering about this:

How much altitude can I expect to recover? I find that my SEMs are too inconsistent, but usually I end up at about 16'000 with 160 knots on the HUD, after starting from 17'000 at 240 knots. That seems sloow, and maybe too high...? Maybe I need to level off earlier and motor up longer.

Slightly off topic:

Somewhere, here or in another topic, Eddie mentioned that for JDAMs the procedure is to create a WP first. Is a markpoint enough of a WP for this or does it explicitly have to be a WP?

i7 4790K: 4.8GHz, 1.328V (manual)

MSI GTX 970: 1,504MHz core, 1.250V, 8GHz memory

Slightly off topic:

Somewhere, here or in another topic, Eddie mentioned that for JDAMs the procedure is to create a WP first. Is a markpoint enough of a WP for this or does it explicitly have to be a WP?

Markpoint will work but you need to set it as SPI. You can do this by setting the NAV selector knob to Markpoint, make sure that the markpoint is selected, this will make the markpoint your steerpoint. Then China Hat Aft Long to set the steerpoint as SPI.

Slightly off topic:

Any SPI will do. Some like to use WP together with a separate FPL as this is more flexible when organizing your targets - especially if you plan to drop several JDAMs in one pass on different targets.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking for comprehensive dumb bombing guides

Am I correct in that a level LAT/MAT and VLD are all passes where you don't actually 'roll' onto the target but instead set up to fly straight and level over the target while doing a CCRP delivery? Whereby a VLD is a low pass, a LAT is a pass at around 5k AGL, and a MAT is everything from 10k AGL to what, 25k AGL until it is considered a HAT? (If a HAT even exists)

I would assume this is only applicable when delivering PGMs, suppressive rocket fire, and HDGP at VLD altitudes, otherwise it is not accurate enough?

Additionally, am I right in deducting from the YT demos and the naming convention that a 30/10 MAT means rolling in onto the target in such a way that you'd roll out in a 30* dive, track, and pull up to a 10* dive in order to perform a CCRP delivery? Logic then tells me a 20/0 LAT would be rolling out into a 20* dive, track, and pull up to straight and level (0* degree dive) to deliver via CCRP?

Edited by JayPee

The toss deliveries of visual level deliveries like every type do not require a specific targeting method, just like every other type. CCRP or CCIP, it doesn't really matter.

For example you could perform a 30/10 MAT using CCIP CR to designate the target, but equally you could use the TDC and CCRP. VLD would normally use CCIP, but again there is no real reason you couldn't use CCRP.

You are correct regarding LAT/MAT.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

• 4 months later...

Can anyone confirm the MRS is still not working properly?

Situation is as follows: I'm performing a 50 30DB2. Base is 5,100. On roll out I'm at 3,500 and 30 degrees dive. At around 3,000 the pipper meets the DRC. However, the MRS is already buried half a second after roll out. Upon roll out it's placed somewhere between the pipper and the DRC while I'm sure it should be higher than the DRC and should not cause the X in the pipper.

DTOF set to 6.7 and MIN ALT set to 1,000. CLM SEM. Total loadout is 1WX2A65X4B50.

Edited by JayPee