Is it me or smth happened to the FM?

Liosha

Hi guys

It seems like after one of recent updates something happened to Mi-8's flight model:

1. Hovering used to be a challenge but now it basically hovers by itself, provided the right pedal is depressed. Almost no collective input required at all.

2. I cannot get into a retreating blade stall mode anymore. For instance this video cannot be recreated

at least with these speeds and altitude. The shake starts at 290 km/h, but then the airspeed grows to 400-410 (!!) km/h and stays there, no further acceleration, no stall.

The following didn't change but would be nice to get it :-)

3. The landing gear is waay too strong.

4. Due to engines on top there should be a tendency of the helicopter to flip over. Especially on the loss of a tail boom. This seems to be absent in DCS Mi-8 flight physics.

Otherwise thank you very much for the great joy flying Mi-8! :) Looking forward to anything you guys will develop in future.

• 2 months later...

Oh man. :music_whistling:

First the shake is retreating blade stall, if you aggravate it anymore you WILL snap your blades.

Landing gear in most aircraft are designed to with stand almost twice the max weight of the aircraft and then some more. If you have ever seen this aircraft up close and personal the Mi-8 or Mi-17 you'll notice the gear struts are HUGE for a helicopter!

And helicopters are known for tipping, but so are Jeep Wanglers, Cessna 172's, damn near anything with a tricycle gear configuration are at high risk for tipping over. Try not to get yourself into that situation. At the start of commercial training helicopter students are taught to land on uneven surfaces. When you land on an uneven surface you must apply opposite cyclic pressure to ensure that the aircraft does not tip over.

Happy retreating blade stalls! :pilotfly:

Tox

#CHOPPERLIVESMATTER

http://www.aircombatgroup.co.uk/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ad. 1) You mean cyclic? It still requires a fair bit of right and back input to hover. I would double check if some "helper" settings in special options tab didn't get reset accidentally in Your install.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

• 1 year later...
ad. 1) You mean cyclic? It still requires a fair bit of right and back input to hover. I would double check if some "helper" settings in special options tab didn't get reset accidentally in Your install.

+1

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X