Did the VR "optimization" ever happen?

blkbeltolson

That CPU and memory is holding you back

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

Bit on the low end blkbeltolson for VR in DCS

old gen cpu

old DDR3 ram

You need to run on the lowest settings. I.E view distance to low and pre load radius to 20 etc. You need to hold 45 fps.

DCS is one of the hardest to run in VR. It was not built from the ground up for VR, it's still one of the best experience tho.

Even with a 1080ti I have to pull settings back to hold a smooth 45 fps in the big city's with max eye candy turned on.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Yes, a new MB and CPU will more than likely need a reactivation. Do you know what type of Windows license you have? OEM or retail?

Intel Core i9 9900K 5.0GHz · Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER · Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO · Alienware 34" AW3418DW · Corsair 2TB M.2 NVMe · 64Gb Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · TM HOTAS Warthog · VPC ACE-2 Rudder Pedals · VPC V.F.X Grip · VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip · Virpil WarBRD base · HP Reverb Pro · 3x TM MFD · Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC · 2x LG Throttle Quadrants · LG Switch Panel · LG Multi Panel · LG Radio Panel · Buttkicker Gamer & JetSeat

Nick Jennings

My spec:

1080ti

32GB 3200mhz

It is VERY possible to run at 45fps (even 90fps) with MINIMUM settings but you will be sitting in a potato. Not to mention spotting planes by your eyes.

The max possible setting is still unacceptable.

VR optimizations did happen several months back. At least they did for users of the Oculus Rift CV1. I did get better and smoother frame rates for a while but after successive updates, frame rates slowly began falling again. I’ve since upgraded to the Index and built the fastest computer I could buy at the time.

VR is still bleeding edge tech and for the foreseeable future will require bleeding edge hardware to run at decent frame rates depending on the software. Unfortunately we’re at a standstill on hardware at the moment . My 9900K, 2080Ti, 64Gb memory and 1TB SSD barely keep me at 45 FPS and that’s without using shadows, MSAA or any kind of super sampling. That”s partly the fault of DCS code not having the ability to use more than 1 core and 2 threads. It is what it is.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

VR optimizations did happen several months back. At least they did for users of the Oculus Rift CV1. I did get better and smoother frame rates for a while but after successive updates, frame rates slowly began falling again. I’ve since upgraded to the Index and built the fastest computer I could buy at the time.

VR is still bleeding edge tech and for the foreseeable future will require bleeding edge hardware to run at decent frame rates depending on the software. Unfortunately we’re at a standstill on hardware at the moment . My 9900K, 2080Ti, 64Gb memory and 1TB SSD barely keep me at 45 FPS and that’s without using shadows, MSAA or any kind of super sampling. That”s partly the fault of DCS code not having the ability to use more than 1 core and 2 threads. It is what it is.

Wow . Something can't be right there . I'm running MSAA x2 with a much less-capable gpu . And i have a choice of either "medium" view distance or cockpit shadows low and flat terrain shadows . Maybe you're running MP ?

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Yes, a new MB and CPU will more than likely need a reactivation. Do you know what type of Windows license you have? OEM or retail?

Buy the most you can afford. A 2080ti isn’t much better than a 1080ti for DCS, you can get one for 450$ used, an i5 9600k is still king for DCS as its limited to 1 core 2 threads. 32Gb of ram and a 1 TB SSD will let you ramp up a bunch of settings. Just when you get it right we’ll get a new version of DCS,lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’m running an old 4770k clocked to 4.3, 16 gig of 1600 DDR3, and an RTX 2080 Super (overclocked stable by 120/1100). OS SSD and DCS on its own SSD. Most basic settings are high, flat shadows, 0 predraw radius, msaa @2 and PD at 1.5 with 16x AA. Using the Oculus Go & ALVR, I get a consistant 37-60 FPS with the Huey on missions and in Vegas. I’ve jumped between MSAA 0-2 and PD 1.2 to 1.8, with varying results as these seem to affect the clarity the most while sacrificing frame rates. I don’t play multiplayer.

I don’t know if the Go/ALVR is any less GPU demanding, but I am very impressed by how well DCS runs on it. I also did get a nice little jump in frame rates with the overclocks.

Wow . Something can't be right there . I'm running MSAA x2 with a much less-capable gpu . And i have a choice of either "medium" view distance or cockpit shadows low and flat terrain shadows . Maybe you're running MP ?

Concur, I had to pull back some settings from TrackIR of course but not that much. Turning down the draw distance helps a lot, but you will see trees and buildings "pop in". I run MSAA x2 as well, otherwise the shimmering is really bad.

Buy the most you can afford. A 2080ti isn’t much better than a 1080ti for DCS, you can get one for 450$ used, an i5 9600k is still king for DCS as its limited to 1 core 2 threads. 32Gb of ram and a 1 TB SSD will let you ramp up a bunch of settings. Just when you get it right we’ll get a new version of DCS,lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The DCS engine uses 2 cores and does not multithread. The rendering pipeline that sends draw calls to your GPU is on one core. You want the fastest single thread you can afford.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

https://medium.com/@toncijukic/draw-calls-in-a-nutshell-597330a85381

• 2 weeks later...
Im running a ryzen 7 3800X and a 2080TI on water. VR runs like trash on my Rift S, sever studdering even with the most meager settings. no other titles have issues.. just DCS
Make sure you've deleted your metashaders2 and fxo folders. If that doesn't work, repair your install. I'm running on a lower spec system with the Rift S, and get moderate frames, occasionally dropping below the 40 cap for a second or two.

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria