Questions: TM Hornet Grip on VPC T50 CM2 base

Chipwich

New to Virpil user. I have my TM Hornet Grip mounted on a TM50 CM2 base. I have run the Virpil Setup Software, calibrated and uploaded a profile, just enough so that it functions in the Windows 10 USB controller app and in DCS. Good so far. I'm using the MonsterTech T50 CM2 adapter bracket which makes it a snap to mount the base my existing MT desk mounts, with the stick position between legs. The light springs with tension backed out about 8 turns is working well, without an extension.

My question is about the Hornet stick being about to rotate (yaw) right/left about 5-10 degrees no mater how well the collar is tightened. Is this normal? I'd like to rotate it counter-clockwise as seen from above about 15 degrees, but would like stick to not have any play. Is there a way to do this without an extension and have it firm? Or will an extension solve these issues? I do not detect any rotation of the base or the connector, but am worried about damaging the connector.

TIA

hornet-virpil.thumb.JPG.96ed81b0e471844f12d9050e7633138b.JPG

Edited by Chipwich
Adding image

R7 5800X3D / 32GB / VPC T-50 CM2 Base and CM3 Throttle with TM Hornet Grip / RTX 4080 Super / Meta Quest Pro

I believe if you remove the 2 screws from the fixed connector in the base it will solve your problems.

Removing the screws will also allow you to offset the grip if you're not using an extension.

Here's a link to a post here on DCS

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=245474&highlight=virpil+remove+screws

Edited by Lucky

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lian Li 011 Dynamic Evo, Core i9 11900K @ 5.0GHz, Corsair H150i CPU cooler, Asus Prime Z590-A, Radeon RX6800 XT64GB, Team T-Force Delta DDR4 3600, Corsair RM1000X PSU,  Win 11 x64

OK, thanks @Lucky That’s great info. I’m on a biz trip now, but will try that when I get home Sat night and report back.

Edited by Chipwich

R7 5800X3D / 32GB / VPC T-50 CM2 Base and CM3 Throttle with TM Hornet Grip / RTX 4080 Super / Meta Quest Pro

Interesting this, as both my Hornet and Warthog sticks show the same behaviour on the TM Warthog base as well since the day I bought them. So, I guess it has nothing to do with the Virpil base, and I assume this behaviour is intentional.

I've had the Warthog stick/base for a long time, and the rotational movement hasn't affect the connector at all as I happily swap the sticks regularly.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Thanks Baur, that's the picture I was looking for.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lian Li 011 Dynamic Evo, Core i9 11900K @ 5.0GHz, Corsair H150i CPU cooler, Asus Prime Z590-A, Radeon RX6800 XT64GB, Team T-Force Delta DDR4 3600, Corsair RM1000X PSU,  Win 11 x64

• 1 month later...

I know this is a T50 CM2 thread, but my question still applies to the WarBRD base, I guess.

Now I have my WarBRD base and my Hornet stick together, can I ask why it is recommended to remove these screws? There are 2 recesses in the Hornet base which these 2 screws surely fit into and hence reduce the twisting movement tolerance which I would have thought was a good thing. No?

Edited by imacken

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I'm kinda worry that I may one day screw-up the connector on the base. Because when I remove the FA-18 grip from the base, it pulled the base connector up. I changes grips quite often as I use T-50CM2 stick for Elite Dangerous.

Should I be worry?

OS:Win10 64bit*/MB: Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING / HD:SSD

CPU Type: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8-Core 3700Mhz / Ram:32Gb DDR4

Mon: Dell AW3418DW LCD + 3 x CUBESIM displays.

Hotas : TM Warthog #4347 | #80897 | TM F/A-18 Hornet Stick / TM Pendular Rudder / Cougar MFDs / Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC / Elgato Stream Decks / Virpil T50-CM2 Base and Grip / Winwing Super Taurus | PCR | PTO / Monstechtech Desk Mounts 

the TM grips have fixed connectors (they do not rotate?) that is why it is recommended to remove the screws to allow the connector in the base to match the grip connector position

No more pre-orders

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

the TM grips have fixed connectors (they do not rotate?) that is why it is recommended to remove the screws to allow the connector in the base to match the grip connector position

Sorry, but I am confused by that. (Obviously me!)

As I said in my post above, the Hornet and Warthog grips have 2 recesses in the bottom, which, AFAICS, match the screw positions on the WarBRD base. I would have thought that helps locating the grip in the correct position as well as restricting the twisting movement which must be a good thing.

Anyone want to help me out there?

Doesn't work, because the Virpil connector isn't aligned the same as the TM stick. The reason for this being the stick side connection is a cable, so the stick can be positioned as the user requires (see, 10-15 degree offsets for proper orientation in the hand, or sideways (or even reverse) for mounting in specific situations, since you can invert or swap axis orientation wholesale.

Because the alignment isn't the same as TM gear, there is a bit of slack on the gimbal side as well, which is accessed by removing those screws, plugging into the TM grip, and then screwing down the grip at whatever offset you like for your use case.

I tried but some are beyond help

Good grief! I'm fully aware that is the offical advice. If you read my posts, I was asking for an explanation for it.

Sorry for trying your patience so much!

Doesn't work, because the Virpil connector isn't aligned the same as the TM stick. The reason for this being the stick side connection is a cable, so the stick can be positioned as the user requires (see, 10-15 degree offsets for proper orientation in the hand, or sideways (or even reverse) for mounting in specific situations, since you can invert or swap axis orientation wholesale.

Because the alignment isn't the same as TM gear, there is a bit of slack on the gimbal side as well, which is accessed by removing those screws, plugging into the TM grip, and then screwing down the grip at whatever offset you like for your use case.

Thank you for that. Precisely the explanation I was looking for and it makes sense now.

Good grief! I'm fully aware that is the offical advice. If you read my posts, I was asking for an explanation for it.

Sorry for trying your patience so much!

the "to prevent damage to the connectors", is the explanation for it

No more pre-orders

the "to prevent damage to the connectors", is the explanation for it

I was curious to know why there would be potential damage to the connectors and lunaticfringe provided a good answer.

base connector locked and not moveable + virpil grip connector is movable = if main lock nut works loose grip rotates a bit ... no problem just re-set it tighten nut back up, it is all good

base connector locked and not moveable + TM grip connector is not movable = if main lock nut works loose grip rotates a bit ... problem you have just wrecked your connector(s)

No more pre-orders

Yes, but the screw heads fit into the recess on the Hornet grip, so there isn’t really much scope for twisting movement at all.

TM grips and base both have fixed connectors, so why does that work. Same issue surely could occur, i.e. loose nut could cause connector damage.

• 3 months later...

Now I have my WarBRD base and my Hornet stick together, can I ask why it is recommended to remove these screws? There are 2 recesses in the Hornet base which these 2 screws surely fit into and hence reduce the twisting movement tolerance which I would have thought was a good thing. No?

I had exactly the same question.

I was curious to know why there would be potential damage to the connectors and lunaticfringe provided a good answer.

Exactly! There are countless posts dealing with this topic in various forums (including Virpil Forum) and the vast majority did NOT remove these screws, I never removed them myself and as I use the stick laterally (like F-16) I do not see the need for the twist.

Regards

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb