Is VID in VR Hopeless? Labels unavoidable?

Nealius

Its vastly easier for me to "spot" units with 24" 1080p monitor and "zoom" on a flat screen than in VR with a Reverb (the current best of the best resolution wise)

Well VR headsets are still in their embryonic stage, what else do you expect? ED can’t do anything about that. Eventually they will improve.

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Can’t the labels already be modded? So just set up a server running modded labels

My understaning is that everyone would need the mod in that case. Thats wy i want ED to implement it so it can be a simple server setting.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Well VR headsets are still in their embryonic stage, what else do you expect? ED can’t do anything about that. Eventually they will improve.

Yes. And in the interim better labels are a fix for everyone.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

"Labels aren't realistic!!!!"

Yeah neither is flying with 20/200 vision.

At any rate, is something borked with the position of the labels? I set EVERY label position to CenterCenter in the lua file but they still appear to the left of the aircraft at distance.

At any rate, is something borked with the position of the labels? I set EVERY label position to CenterCenter in the lua file but they still appear to the left of the aircraft at distance.

Yea I cant get those to fit either, and stopped trying when just using DOT symbol. With DOT symbol I noticed that at a certain range, the label is quite offset, and then when you reach X distance, they snap to be almost on top. Maybe a few pixels to the side. So Im guessing similar happens when using the default approach, that the CenterCenter isnt kicking in until you are at a certain distance to target.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

My understaning is that everyone would need the mod in that case. Thats wy i want ED to implement it so it can be a simple server setting.

I thing the problem you’d run into with custom labels is that it would fragment players onto different servers with different settings.

At the pace stuff gets done in DCS, by the time this would get implemented we will all have 16K super high res HMDs. But people will still complain that they can’t see anything.

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

I thing the problem you’d run into with custom labels is that it would fragment players onto different servers with different settings.

At the pace stuff gets done in DCS, by the time this would get implemented we will all have 16K super high res HMDs. But people will still complain that they can’t see anything.

Well, I appreciate the "speed" that DCS development moves at. But honestly I think 9L is pushing better labels so I'm hopeful that it will happen sooner than later. As for 16K HMD's it will happen, but I don't see that as happening soon. I think given the current state of hardware, stuff like the Reverb is going to be "the limit" for the next 4-5 years. Also, the other problem VR will face is the "Good enough" limit, where increasing resolution will have diminishing returns for players. Resolution wise the Reverb is VERY good for non-flight sims. The way I look at it is right now VR requirements are currently driving Better/Faster etc Vid cards so we will see some rapid advancement. But it won't be the case to retinal resolution headsets (70 PPD). I think VR will peter out around the mid 30's PPD for a long time, cuz thats gonna be good enough for 90% of the user space, but for flight sims you will need that 70PPD for long distance spotting. Eventually the cards/techniques will get good enough to do it, but people aren't going to pay "way more" for a headset that takes you from the mid 30's PPD wise to the mid 40's IMO because you will barely notice in 90% of applications. Eventually it will become a "might as well" moment since the hardware can do it moment, but thats going to be far in the future IMO.

DCS development speed: :)

tenor.gif?itemid=9747136

Edited by Harlikwin

Last time I flew online labels mods were server enforced. Nothing on the client side had any influence. The GAW server had a blue dot for friendly, and a dark-gray dot for bogey/bandit.

Exactly. We need to get ED to give server owners a few better options. A cultural change.

I have modified the labels on my system where they give no indication of the airplane, name etc nor foe or friendly. Just a small grey dot. I did it when flying with the odyssey + and now flying with the Rift S it is even better. It helps me identify planes a little bit earlier. I also modified the distance at which they show up as the airplanes gets closer it is turned off, if I remember correctly at 5000 meters. I still have a hard time keeping track of the enemy plane when dogfighting but with the Rift S it is clearly better.

AMD RYZEN 7 2700 / 32GB / RTX2070 / 500GB M.2 with Windows and DCS / 2 - 500GB SSD / Rift S/ TM Warthog with F18 stick and Virpil WarBRD / Foxx Mounts/ MFG Crosswind rudders + 3 MFD's | Now enjoying VR with PointCTRL controllers + Gamematrix JetSeat

I have modified the labels on my system where they give no indication of the airplane, name etc nor foe or friendly. Just a small grey dot. I did it when flying with the odyssey + and now flying with the Rift S it is even better. It helps me identify planes a little bit earlier. I also modified the distance at which they show up as the airplanes gets closer it is turned off, if I remember correctly at 5000 meters. I still have a hard time keeping track of the enemy plane when dogfighting but with the Rift S it is clearly better.

This is something id like to see implemented as a formal option for online server use.

Just to sanity check, are you saying that you can spot an aircraft or ID it? It’s not the same thing.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Just to sanity check, are you saying that you can spot an aircraft or ID it? It’s not the same thing.

I'm reading it as a fix to improve spotting. You would still have to ID the airplane normally.

These I hacked together the other day. They are the smallest I have been able to make, using the DCS dot system, and they are substantially smaller than the original label file. A single unit wont be a light beacon in a dark space, you still have to look.

DOT Only: Starts as a dark pixel at around 16km, fades in, and blends to color pixel, which is at its fullest at 6km, and then fades out again from 1500 to 0km.

Abbreviated: Same as DOT, but no color.

Full: No color, appears at 12km and then fades out the closer you get.

Im pretty happy with that system, and works well for both VR and monitor (1080p). If you want it bigger, change the font size in line 60 with notepad++ :

font_properties = {"AnonymousPro-Regular.ttf", 5, 0, 0, 0}

Goes in your C:\Users\'name'\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config\View\ folder

Hi - I tried this in my install of DCS open beta and got nothing, no labels at all :/ I removed the file from the folder indicated above and the labels work as they should. Any recommendations? :joystick:

NB - there is no labels.lua file there prior to copying your file into the folder. Is that the way it is supposed to be? (I looked on two PC's running DCS and founf both the same)

Edited by DerekSpeare

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

• 2 weeks later...

Good news for the VR users. ED have introduced a secondary VR zoom, as found within the UI layer, called VR spyglass, which appears to be very similar to the zoom available to monitor users.

My thanks ED for finally giving us parity.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Good news for the VR users. ED have introduced a secondary VR zoom, as found within the UI layer, called VR spyglass, which appears to be very similar to the zoom available to monitor users.

My thanks ED for finally giving us parity.

Yes I have been using it, and working pretty good.

Nice to have both zoom levels available.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I've been using it, but mainly for spotting mud targets. It sure helps there.