DCS versions & how can I control them?

Spinoni

I'm not sure if my problem is connected to all the update issues folk are having but, I'm very much a beginner novice on DCS and have not been able to use the system for a few months now. I found myself building up various alpha and beta versions of the software all over the place. These add up to over 100Gb. The system then wouldn't let me open some of them (e.g. DCS World 2 Open Alpha) telling me to download DCS World Open Beta 2.5 which I did. I also pre-ordered the Persian Gulf and downloaded A-10C Basic Flight Training. I couldn't then find Nevada or the Persian Gulf for sometime until I realised that they could be accessed under Mission Editor in OpenBeta 2.5 but I'm not sure if that is the correct route to choose them. I still can't find the A-10C Basic Flight Training under campaigns or anywhere. All of the various Flight and Instruction Manuals seem to have disappeared together with a handful of saved missions. The various routes on the forum explaining where to find these manuals no longer seem to exist on my system and I've had to re-download them. My questions are: Do I need DCS World 2 Open Alpha (or any other DCS versions) or any of the files in them to run Open Beta 2.5? I'm not very computer literate and I feel trying to get onto the system and finding what I want is now beginning to become a chore. Would I be better to just delete every DCS program I have and then reload it all again? If so is there any particular way or order that I should delete or uninstall files and is there any specific order I should download them again in order to get the correct set-up? Indeed, will I be able to download and install them all again? I currently have DCS OpenBeta 2.5 (which I think auto upgraded to 2.5.2); A-10C Warthog; F-15C; Nevada, Persian Gulf and A-10C Basic Flight Training (though I can't find this latter module or the manual anywhere - I did activate it but it seems to have completely vanished off the system). One final question. All of these updates that I seem to be notified of on an almost daily basis, do I just click on DCS updater to obtain them? If I download OpenBeta 2.5 again, will they be included on that version or will I have update anyway? Any help or advice anyone can provide me with will be gratefully received.

Here's a guide

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=114030

And here's a GUI tool

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=160053

Open Alpha was the test bed for the NTTR and Normandy maps, these are all merged into DCS 2.5 now. In 2.5 there is a beta branch, where updates and new modules are tested before being merged into the "release" or "stable" branch.

... I'm very much a beginner novice on DCS and have not been able to use the system for a few months now.

I wouldnt call you a complete begginer, since your forum account is 4 years old :)

I found myself building up various alpha and beta versions of the software all over the place.

Up until last year there were at least two main versions of DCS: DCS 1.5 (with the Map Caucasus) and DCS 2.0 (with the Maps Nevada and Normandy) ... but nowadays ED has at last unified both version on v2.5, that can handle all the available Maps.

Version 2.5 is available on stable and openbeta versions ... may I suggest that you stick to the stable version?

I also pre-ordered the Persian Gulf and downloaded A-10C Basic Flight Training.

The Persian Gulf Map requires v2.5 ... it wont install on 1.5 or 2.0 ... and the A-10C Campaign that you mention isnt actually a training campaign, it wont teach you to use the A-10C ... it actually is a qualification campaign, it will test your abilities with the A-10, but you will have to learn those abilites by yourself.

All of the various Flight and Instruction Manuals seem to have disappeared together with a handful of saved missions.

If by saved missions you mean missions that you edited yourself, they usually are stored on the Saved Games/DCS version/Missions folder, while the manuals are on DCS Program File's Folder which is completely apart on the folder tree.

My questions are: Do I need DCS World 2 Open Alpha (or any other DCS versions) or any of the files in them to run Open Beta 2.5?

No, but if you do have DCS 2 installed, when you install the new 2.5 it will take files from the older install to save download time.

I'm not very computer literate and I feel trying to get onto the system and finding what I want is now beginning to become a chore.

That's a good reason to avoid the Openbeta variant .. stick to 2.5 Stable.

Would I be better to just delete every DCS program I have and then reload it all again?

I wouldnt do that ... for one the download will take several hours and most likely you already have on your PC most of the files. I suggest the following:

1) If you have already installed version 2.5 and it isnt working properly, then repair it using this utility:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=160053

if after repairing it still doesnt work, then rename the corresponding Saved Games/DCSxxx/ folder, so that DCS can build a new Saved Games folder.

2) After having your DCS 2.5 working, then use the same Utility as before, to convert it to the 2.5 Stable release (in case your 2.5 is actually the Openbeta version)

3) Finally, once you have clear where is the proper DCS 2.5 ... delete the folders with the older versions (1.5 2.0 etc) ... to be safe, first rename their folders and then test DCS 2.5 ... if it works fine, then do the deletion.

One final question. All of these updates that I seem to be notified of on an almost daily basis, do I just click on DCS updater to obtain them?

The updates are currently released every two weeks or so ... if you are being notified daily its probable because you have previously refused the upgrade.

If you dont want to be notified, edit the DCS shortcut so that it points to DCS.exe instead of DCS_Updater.exe:

6vbeng1.jpg

Best regards

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I would recommend just sticking to the Openbeta. The ’stable’ version is basically the Openbeta a week on.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I would recommend just sticking to the Openbeta. The ’stable’ version is basically the Openbeta a week on.

Not exactly .. the Openbeta can suffer from game-breaking bugs that force ED to issue Hotfixes .. the Stable Release is free of that type of problem.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Not exactly .. the Openbeta can suffer from game-breaking bugs that force ED to issue Hotfixes .. the Stable Release is free of that type of problem.

It’s a matter of opinion. In my view, the ‘stable’ version is a waste of disk space. Even on the rare occasion that there is a hotfix needed, it’s usually done in a day or so. More typically, the OB is the ‘stable’ a week later.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Thank you for all your help with this. I class myself as a beginner because I have limited and irregular access to DCS because of work and other commitments. I can cope with the basics of flying and a few very simple missions so your help is very much appreciated. I think DCS does generally work on my PC but some of the folders and the routes to them don't seem to exist any more. The problems all seemed to start when I downloaded Openbeta. I will attempt to repair version 2.5 as you suggest and then convert to 2.5 stable. Thanks again