Kneeboard Builder (windows app)

AlaskanGrizzly

3 minutes ago, skypickle said:

I have noticed an interesting bug that might be affecting other users. I have two installs of DCS open beta. One on a D drive and another on a C drive. I specified the correct install on the C drive as well as the saved game folder on the C drive. I made sure to click save after specifying the correct directories in the preferences dialog. But if I open the prefs dialog again, KB lists the DCS folder in the D drive install. I dont know why it thinks the DCS on the D drive is 'mama' and it keeps running home to that one. but it is annoying and has created some degree of confusion for me until i realized this.

Also, I read about profiles in the manual. However, I cannot find a settings page where I can specify profiles in KB. I am running KB 1.9.0.0 downbloaded from the official website.

Check the KneeboardBuilder manual. Multiple installs of DCS is discussed.

I have tried every "solution" offered and none seem to work.  I guess it will be up to the developer when he has the time, but with 5 kids, I do not know when that will be.

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

3 hours ago, skypickle said:

I have noticed an interesting bug that might be affecting other users. I have two installs of DCS open beta. One on a D drive and another on a C drive. I specified the correct install on the C drive as well as the saved game folder on the C drive. I made sure to click save after specifying the correct directories in the preferences dialog. But if I open the prefs dialog again, KB lists the DCS folder in the D drive install. I dont know why it thinks the DCS on the D drive is 'mama' and it keeps running home to that one. but it is annoying and has created some degree of confusion for me until i realized this.

Also, I read about profiles in the manual. However, I cannot find a settings page where I can specify profiles in KB. I am running KB 1.9.0.0 downbloaded from the official website.

Check to see if you have a registry entry for the openbeta install pointing to the D drive. (It would be under HKEY_User\Software\Eagle Dynamics or something similar.) If so, KB is possibly using that. Also, do you have duplicate Saved Games directories? If so that might be related. Saved Games is a system directory and you are only allowed to have one version (per user) that the system recognizes. 

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

14 hours ago, sthompson said:

Check to see if you have a registry entry for the openbeta install pointing to the D drive. (It would be under HKEY_User\Software\Eagle Dynamics or something similar.) If so, KB is possibly using that. Also, do you have duplicate Saved Games directories? If so that might be related. Saved Games is a system directory and you are only allowed to have one version (per user) that the system recognizes. 

Yes there is! And it says version 2.5. ?!

4930K @ 4.5, 32g ram, TitanPascal

5 hours ago, skypickle said:

Yes there is! And it says version 2.5. ?!

So does mine. I don't think that's a problem. You might change the path entry to point to your installation on C drive and then retry KB. If it fixes it that would be helpful information to know about, so please post here.

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

I downloaded and installed the latest version 1.9.0.0 but every time I open KBB it says Update Available. Do you wish to download and install the update?  When I click Yes, nothing happens. If I click no it says to run it as Administrator but the troubleshooting guide says to not run as Admin. It does allow me to enter the program though. Do I need to uncheck check for updates in Preferences?

Edited by II.JG1_Vonrd

59 minutes ago, II.JG1_Vonrd said:

Do I need to uncheck check for updates in Preferences?

Yes, disable it. As the author kindly explained, the autoupdate server is not active anymore:

On 8/9/2022 at 1:24 AM, AlaskanGrizzly said:

Kneeboard Builder Update to Version 1.9.0.0

I have put together a fix for the crashes due to different file structures in newer modules like the AH-64 and Mirage F-1. 

Unfortunately due to a hosting issue on my end, the auto update feature is no longer working so you can either:

1) Download the new KneeboardBuilder.exe and manually copy it to your Kneeboard Builder folder from here:  

https://firebasestorage.googleapis.com/v0/b/kneeboardbuilder.appspot.com/o/betas%2FKneeboardBuilder 1.9.0.0.zip?alt=media&token=208c991c-0a7e-4dbc-924e-85c32418836c

or

2)  Redownload the full Kneeboard Builder app from the website at: https://dcskneeboardbuilder.com/download.html

I appreciate feedback and bug reports so keep them coming, just be aware that there may be long periods between my responses and bug fixes.  When I first made this mod public I had two kids and a job, and now I have five kids and an extremely time consuming career.  Real life will take precedence. 

--Alaskan Grizzly

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

6 hours ago, sthompson said:

So does mine. I don't think that's a problem. You might change the path entry to point to your installation on C drive and then retry KB. If it fixes it that would be helpful information to know about, so please post here.

correcting the registry entry to point to the DCS install on the C drive does not prevent KB from reassigning the install on the D drive as the DCS folder. weird.

4930K @ 4.5, 32g ram, TitanPascal

Any solution for the VR players? While dragging / resizing the kneeboard with the mouse is a nice workaround still it got its hard boundaries and no way to move it to the knee. Perhaps with .lua editing, but what .lua and what parameters? Anybody did this already?

• 2 weeks later...

Just downloaded this, first time setup, and I can't seem to get it to run. I see others mentioning the same problem, however:

---------------------------
There was an error!
Use Ctrl + C to copy this error and e-mail it to s13solutions@gmail.com :  

System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: path
   at System.IO.Directory.GetParent(String path)
   at KneeboardBuilder.Viewmodels.MainViewModel.BackupAircraftDefaultGroups(String _origPath)
   at KneeboardBuilder.Viewmodels.MainViewModel.LoadAircraftData()
   at KneeboardBuilder.Viewmodels.MainViewModel.Initilization()
   at KneeboardBuilder.Viewmodels.MainViewModel..ctor()
   at KneeboardBuilder.Views.MainView..ctor()
OK   

Is there a fix for this?

2 minutes ago, Razzle F. Dazzle said:

Just downloaded this, first time setup, and I can't seem to get it to run.

are you using Version 1.9.0.0?

Edited by Rudel_chw

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

23 minutes ago, Razzle F. Dazzle said:

Yup.

can you attach your dcs.log to look for more clues?

On 3/2/2023 at 9:13 PM, Rudel_chw said:

can you attach your dcs.log to look for more clues?

Unfortunately nothing is getting written to my dcs.log as it pertains to Kneeboard Builder: Starting with a fresh download I double click the exe, configure the options when prompted, and then I receive a message saying that the app has to restart. Upon restart the app gets stuck at the 'Loading...' splash screen and displays this error message:

There was an error!

at KneeboardBuilder.Viewmodels.MainViewModel.BackupAircraftDefaultGroups(String _origPath)
OK   

58 minutes ago, Razzle F. Dazzle said:

Unfortunately nothing is getting written to my dcs.log as it pertains to Kneeboard Builder:

Ok, no problem, just wanted to check what are the DCS paths that your install is using. 

Hope you can find the cause of the problem.

1 hour ago, MA_Seyo said:

The app does not seem to work with the Mirage F1 EE (only CE works). Is there a known fix for this? Granted the EE released recently

Strange, it worked on my DCS, though I have not tried it again after the last DCS update:

Edit: Just checked, and the KB still works properly with the Mirage F1 EE

Edited by Rudel_chw

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/3/2023 at 2:42 AM, Razzle F. Dazzle said:

Just downloaded this, first time setup, and I can't seem to get it to run. I see others mentioning the same problem, however:

There was an error!

OK   

Is there a fix for this?

Same exact issue here, since a while now... using the latest 1.9.0.0 version, nothing I tried (reinstalling, running as administrator) helped.

Is the developer of this thing still around?

BlueRaven.jpg

Nulla Dies Sine Linea

1 hour ago, BlueRaven said:

Same exact issue here, since a while now... using the latest 1.9.0.0 version, nothing I tried (reinstalling, running as administrator) helped.

Just checked on my DCS install, latest OB MT, and KB seems to work with no issues:

sIcEPF6.jpg

vl2E9am.jpg

Since only some users have this issue, I would guess that it maybe is a DCS folder path issue .. can you attach your dcs.log file to take a look?  .. above I asked the same to another user but for some reason he declined to show his log.

1 hour ago, BlueRaven said:

Is the developer of this thing still around?

Yes, he is around ... but if someone called a (free) software of mine a "thing" it would not encourage me to participate in any discussion about it. 🙄

Edited by Rudel_chw
  • Like 1

All of a sudden today, the kneeboard mod is working.  I did nothing to make it work.

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

On 2/19/2023 at 12:17 PM, void68 said:

Any solution for the VR players? While dragging / resizing the kneeboard with the mouse is a nice workaround still it got its hard boundaries and no way to move it to the knee. Perhaps with .lua editing, but what .lua and what parameters? Anybody did this already?

openkneeboard. Believe me, everything will make sense after you install it. 

Anyone else having an issue with the text now in created Kneeboard Builder files all appearing garbled up and unreadable?

Been trying to get acclamated to Open Kneeboard but having issues with it as well, interestingly one of them being garbled text.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

13 minutes ago, dburne said:

Anyone else having an issue with the text now in created Kneeboard Builder files all appearing garbled up and unreadable?

Same problem in 2 different kneeboard programs? I have no problems. If I had to guess, it could be the font. Try a different one.

10 minutes ago, maajr57 said:

Same problem in 2 different kneeboard programs? I have no problems. If I had to guess, it could be the font. Try a different one.

Hmm will check into that , thanks.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|