Kneeboard Builder (windows app)

AlaskanGrizzly

Right now, Im not quite seeing the point of that if its all eventually lumped together , outside of not mixing pages up?

Yes, that and you can more easily take parts in and out again. For example, I have the procedures in all the time but take in and out other stuff like flight plans etc. that are more (mission) specific.

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

Version 1.6.8.1 Release

Version 1.6.8.1 is now available.

- Added custom kneeboard support for SA342Mistral

- Added option to use standard DCS kneeboard for MiG-21bis

- Custom kneeboard size can now be manually entered to exact values

- Added links to aircraft manuals in View menu

- Added Spitfire cockpit image

MiG-21bis update:

Kneeboard Builder will no longer be able to support custom kneeboard positioning and color schemes for the MiG-21 default kneeboard as it uses a non-standard file structure that is difficult and bulky to code around.

Instead I have added the option to use the default DCS kneeboard for the MiG-21 which will allow for customization just like with every other DCS aircraft.

Integrity Check Update:

To support custom position and color schemes, Kneeboard Builder modifies three DCS files that will cause integrity check failures. I have not found a workaround.

Sorry, Im not following you? Im not looking for a method as to how to display the keyboard while in flight, then make it go away until needed again. I’m trying to find out if you bring up the kneeboard, can you have selectable tabs (or something) within Kneeboard builder to select the category in which you are trying to review the information you are looking for. E.G. Briefing or Weapons Specs or Etc,,,,,, OR is Kneeboard Builder designed in such a way that any PDFs you import, you simply have to bring up the Kneeboard builder and keep turning pages until you find what you want?

What I was getting was that if you have all these pages loaded in kneeboard then you can set shortcuts to the beginning of each section and cycle select via the shortcuts instead of turning every page. This is in effect very similar to having tabs.

OS:Win10 Home CPU:i7 3770K 3.5(@4.3GHz) COOLER:ZalmanCNPS10X-PERFORMA MOBO:GigabyteGA-Z77X-UD5H SSD#1:SamsungEVO850Pro 500GB SSD#2:SanDisk240GB HDD:2x Seagate2TB GFX:GigabyteGTX670 WF3 2GB OC1058MHz RAM:16GB 16000MHz DDR3 KEYB'Ds:Corsair K95/MS SidewinderX4 MOUSE:LogitechG700s MON:2x ASUS 24” ROUTER:ASUS RT-N66U DarkKnight INTERWEBS:Fibre152Mbps/12Mbps JOYSTICK:TM T16000m Modded THROTTLE:TM TWCS HEADTRACK:TrackIR5Pro

Hi There

Just downloaded 1.6.8.1 unzipped it into a folder on my desktop and have got the exe selected to run as a administrator and the program keeps crashing on the start up logo. I've tried running without administrator on and in a different windows compatibility mode what am I doing wrong?

Intel i7 6700 3.4Ghz , 32gig ripjaw ram , Asus Strix RX480 OC 8gb , Samsung 850 Pro SSD, Asus ROG VIII Ranger Z170 Motherboard.

Hi There

Just downloaded 1.6.8.1 unzipped it into a folder on my desktop and have got the exe selected to run as a administrator and the program keeps crashing on the start up logo. I've tried running without administrator on and in a different windows compatibility mode what am I doing wrong?

Could you please look at your windows error logs right after you try running Kneeboard Builder and e-mail them to me.

To view the error logs in windows 7:

click on the start menu -> control panel -> system and security -> administrative tools -> event viewer-> expand 'windows logs' -> click on application

For windows 8 / 10:

right click on the start menu -> computer management -> expand 'event viewer' -> expand 'windows logs' -> click on application

To save your all events: right click on application -> save all events as -> enter a name and save as an Event File (.evtx)

To save a single event: right click on the event(s) you want to save -> save selected event -> enter a name and save as an Event File (.evtx)

E-mail the logs to me at s13solutions@gmail.com.

Thanks.

FYI Razbam got dynamic information to appear on their kneeboard and it can directly access the game (laser codes etc) Is there anything programatically that can be leveraged?

There are several modules that have that feature now. However their kneeboard update logic appears to be hardcoded into their module via C++ and isn't accessible to us.

Could you please look at your windows error logs right after you try running Kneeboard Builder and e-mail them to me.

To view the error logs in windows 7:

click on the start menu -> control panel -> system and security -> administrative tools -> event viewer-> expand 'windows logs' -> click on application

For windows 8 / 10:

right click on the start menu -> computer management -> expand 'event viewer' -> expand 'windows logs' -> click on application

To save your all events: right click on application -> save all events as -> enter a name and save as an Event File (.evtx)

To save a single event: right click on the event(s) you want to save -> save selected event -> enter a name and save as an Event File (.evtx)

E-mail the logs to me at s13solutions@gmail.com.

Thanks.

Done ,you've got mail :)

Intel i7 6700 3.4Ghz , 32gig ripjaw ram , Asus Strix RX480 OC 8gb , Samsung 850 Pro SSD, Asus ROG VIII Ranger Z170 Motherboard.

What I was getting was that if you have all these pages loaded in kneeboard then you can set shortcuts to the beginning of each section and cycle select via the shortcuts instead of turning every page. This is in effect very similar to having tabs.

Thanks for the tip on "Shortcuts" I will look into that, that is a feature I'm interested in.

I certainly appreciate this app, I don't know what some of you guys are doing on MP servers with IC check though? As AlaskanGrizzly just stated, he has not found a work around for this as of yet.

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

How do you set up shortcuts for this?

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

I don't have a clue yet Sobe, I was going to try and figure that out. Maybe Someone can show us the way?

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Sobe, I am going to try and find this approach to making shortcuts in a couple hours, I will post up if I find anything

I have just installed and created a kneeboard for the A-10C, the next thing I was trying to read about was how to make the kneeboard pop up while in DCS? I don't see any mention of this in the tutorials or the readme file or Manual? I presumed there might be a Hotkey option in Kneeboard Settings, but "Kneeboard Settings' are greyed out for me and I cant make it clickable? Thanks for any help.

I have just installed and created a kneeboard for the A-10C, the next thing I was trying to read about was how to make the kneeboard pop up while in DCS? I don't see any mention of this in the tutorials or the readme file or Manual? I presumed there might be a Hotkey option in Kneeboard Settings, but "Kneeboard Settings' are greyed out for me and I cant make it clickable? Thanks for any help.

Shift+k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks but that only brings up the DCS Default kneeboard, not the custom one I created, and does NOT resolve the question as to why "Kneeboard Settings" is greyed out and I can not select it?

Alrighty then! Troubleshooting along here, 1st let me state (at least in my case), if you read the 'Readme File Troubleshooting', you will see this:

TROUBLESHOOTING:

Kneeboard Builder won't start after an update has occured:

-delete the 'settings.xml' and 'KneeboardBuilder.exe.config' files and try starting it again. You will then need to verify your directory settings in Options -> Preferences.

Settings.xml, I was NOT able to locate, but I did find 'KneeboardBuilder.exe.config' , and when I removed that, WALA,, 'Kneeboard Settings' became available when I executed kneeboard Builder again.

Long story short, here is where I am finding a problem. I have 3 versions of DCS installed (1.2 & 1.5 & 2.0) when you go into 'Preferences' and select the directory of choice for the version you want to install this for (Beta in my case), that is fine,,, NOW, when I changed the 'SavedGames' directory to "C:\Users\Dons\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta" that is what causes the 'Kneeboard settings' to grey out.

So, is there a problem here if you want to install 2 versions of Kneeboard Builder, one for Beta 1.5 and one for Alpha 2.0 if both versions point to the default 'Saved Games' folder, or am I doing the right thing and targeting the Saved Games folder to Beta for the Beta install, but something is broke?

IC is green for me. Also with the dynamic mission briefing and after modifying the "kneeboard settings" (position).

I have to take it back as KB started to cause IC failure. The good news is that it seems to be isolated to editing the kneeboard settings (position, colors, etc) - options=>kneeboard settings.

I've deleted all of custom kneeboard profiles in KB, run the repair and everything seems to be working fine, including all of the kneeboards created with "create custom kneeboard" function.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

Yeah, I just did a quick check myself with a simple build and it wont pass IC,,, that sux! I like what can be done with this so far,, but its no good if ya cant fly on MP that have IC checks,,, and I'd rather be on an IC server. All I did was slide kneeboard to the upper left corner, I did not make any other changes like color etc,,,

EDIT: I actually just deleted this and did another fresh install, all I did was set it up for Beta and went into kneeboard preferences and moved the map. I did NOT setup any custom kneeboards yet and it failed IC

Edited by Fakum

1. Delete all custom profiles in KB under "options\kneeboard settings", close KB.

2. Run DCS repair

3. Don't change any settings under "options\kneeboard settings", including map position.

Than IC should be fine while it's still possible to use all of the other features of KB, specifically managing the content of the kneeboards.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

I have to take it back as KB started to cause IC failure. The good news is that it seems to be isolated to editing the kneeboard settings (position, colors, etc) - options=>kneeboard settings.

I've deleted all of custom kneeboard profiles in KB, run the repair and everything seems to be working fine, including all of the kneeboards created with "create custom kneeboard" function.

Within a week or so I will have a version released that will pass IC checks. Just hang tight while I finish my graveshift work week (and Christmas).

Alrighty then! Troubleshooting along here, 1st let me state (at least in my case), if you read the 'Readme File Troubleshooting', you will see this:

TROUBLESHOOTING:

Kneeboard Builder won't start after an update has occured:

-delete the 'settings.xml' and 'KneeboardBuilder.exe.config' files and try starting it again. You will then need to verify your directory settings in Options -> Preferences.

Settings.xml, I was NOT able to locate, but I did find 'KneeboardBuilder.exe.config' , and when I removed that, WALA,, 'Kneeboard Settings' became available when I executed kneeboard Builder again.

Long story short, here is where I am finding a problem. I have 3 versions of DCS installed (1.2 & 1.5 & 2.0) when you go into 'Preferences' and select the directory of choice for the version you want to install this for (Beta in my case), that is fine,,, NOW, when I changed the 'SavedGames' directory to "C:\Users\Dons\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta" that is what causes the 'Kneeboard settings' to grey out.

So, is there a problem here if you want to install 2 versions of Kneeboard Builder, one for Beta 1.5 and one for Alpha 2.0 if both versions point to the default 'Saved Games' folder, or am I doing the right thing and targeting the Saved Games folder to Beta for the Beta install, but something is broke?

You don't need to change the saved games folder when you switch between DCS versions. Just keep the saved games folder pointing to "C:\Users\Dons\Saved Games" and it will find the correct subdirectory.

Within a week or so I will have a version released that will pass IC checks. Just hang tight while I finish my graveshift work week (and Christmas).

Not a big issue. The main functionality works. Great tool by the way. Thank you and wish you a Merry Christmas thumbup.gif

Thats a problem for us that are using a 2nd monitor, for me Im using Helios, and by default, the kneeboard would come up under the Helios layer, so I need to move it to the main screen. If I could find a way to do that, all would be well I suppose. Bottom line I suppose is, DCS does not like when you relocate the kneeboard,,,

EDIT: sorry, this was following up on Firmek's comment about not moving the kneeboard, Thanks for the responses AlaskanGrizzly, I look forward to using this, have a Merry Christmas sir1

Edited by Fakum