[CORRECT AS IS] AGM-65F lose lock when stepped

broderbund67

I was trying to fire all my mavericks in one go, locking each of them to a different target using the step button. Unfortunately when you step the missiles they lose lock. On the real aircraft is it a feature or not possible? I was under the impression that the mavericks were "independent" and would keep looking at the target once stepped.

Asus z170i pro gaming MB / i7-6700K OC 4.5Ghz /

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 G1 8GD / Ram 16gb DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz / SSD 500Gb / Oculus Rift S

I was trying to fire all my mavericks in one go, locking each of them to a different target using the step button. Unfortunately when you step the missiles they lose lock. On the real aircraft is it a feature or not possible? I was under the impression that the mavericks were "independent" and would keep looking at the target once stepped.

I would think exactly because they are independent you don‘t slew them alltogether but only each individual missile‘s seeker. Hence, the missile seeker of the other missiles don‘t know where the first one was looking at.

Ok so when you step the missiles they automatically come back to boresight. You cannot preset all of your missiles to look at one direction.

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 G1 8GD / Ram 16gb DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz / SSD 500Gb / Oculus Rift S

You can however use the HUD TDC to create a POI and the seeker will slave to that point once uncaged.

I presume you have to do that before selecting maverick?

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

You can however use the HUD TDC to create a POI and the seeker will slave to that point once uncaged.

Thanks Svend it works perfect. This way I can keep my groundtarget point and slew the maverick with the HUD without having to undesignate/designate the POI every time. It's a very fast way to slave all of your mavericks to the target area.

I presume you have to do that before selecting maverick?

It will be easier once we have the TGP but for example if you have 4 AGM's and you find a line of 4 tanks:

- Master mode A/G and bring maverick display to the DDI

- select a nearby waypoint and press WPDSG (first mav will slave to this WP)

- Sensor control switch up to bring HUD TDC

- Slew POI to the first tank using HUD TDC and looking at the maverick display or HUD (it's a bit tricky because HUD slew is more sensitive)

- the maverick should lock the first tank automatically once it is looking at it. Fire first missile

- second missile comes online, press uncage buton and it will slave to the tanks location

- slew to the next tank and repeat

It is actually a fast way to unload all the missiles in one pass without having to slew each mavericks back to the target area and without undesignating the ground POI.

It is probably not a common USN practice though :)