How to "lock" the brakes

mdee

I have a lever on the stick which I mapped wheel brakes to. Works great - now in real Spitfire this level can be blocked in parking position, with brakes applied fully. This is very useful for startup too.

Can't seem to be able to do it in DCS Spitfire - the lever on the stick doesn't have any physical lock, unfortunately.

An ideas, except remapping it to a slider or something equally "unrealistic"?

• Like 1

on my warty I assign it to L engine fuel switch (top left).

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

I use mouse wheel (scroll all the way up, the virtual lever will stay in "locked" position until you hit the physical one again).

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

I have a lever on the stick which I mapped wheel brakes to.

This lever on stick is an axis?

If so add a mechanical catch to the joystick lever, will work like real Spit brake lever - but outside of the game. :D

If is not a axes, maybe a script with external software - if find that worth the effort in do this for the few use of 'park brakes'.

Astonished why this control is not programmed (like in P-51)- the 3D of spade grip even show the needed catch strap for park brakes.

The workaround with mouse wheel is very "unrealistic".

This lever on stick is an axis?

If so add a mechanical catch to the joystick lever, will work like real Spit brake lever - but outside of the game. :D

If is not a axes, maybe a script with external software - if find that worth the effort in do this for the few use of 'park brakes'.

Astonished why this control is not programmed (like in P-51)- the 3D of spade grip even show the needed catch strap for park brakes.

The workaround with mouse wheel is very "unrealistic".

Yes it's an axis, it does work like real Spitfire minus the lock. I won't mod this stick. The optimal solution would be to add "brakes toggle" control. I can simulate this using a script which keeps "W" key pressed.. bit rough but works. The reason I am asking is that you need 3 hands to startup the Spitfire without brakes lock :)

Thanks all for suggestions.

Edited by mdee

Holding the brakes on makes warmup at 1500 rpm (as per manual) possible.

If one hits "increase brakes" 7 times it will hold the brake on.

Holding the brakes on by holding w or a mapped to joystick "W" is not a good plan. It's never good to have a key held down virtually or otherwise.

My brake latch is my pinky switch on my TM hotas.

I would think this is easily done in Lua as well however I have no idea about Lua yet.

Using the Thrustmaster Target software one could do something like this which is how I handle it today. The Target code is posted here page 3.

Keybindings may have been changed:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=194791&page=3

Edited by DeepDrummer
more info

Win 10 pro 64 bit. Intel i7 4790 4 Ghz running at 4.6. Asus z97 pro wifi main board, 32 gig 2400 ddr3 gold ram, 50 inch 4K UHD and HDR TV for monitor. H80 cpu cooler. 8 other cooling fans in full tower server case. Soundblaster ZX sound card. EVGA 1080 TI FTW3. TM Hotas Wartog. TM T.16000M MFG Crosswinds Pedals. Trackir 5.

"Everyone should fly a Spitfire at least once" John S. Blyth

I am surprised devs dont include chocks by ground crew in some hifi modules. Chocks are like alphabets with fixed wings, let alone warbirds.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

• 2 weeks later...
I use mouse wheel (scroll all the way up, the virtual lever will stay in "locked" position until you hit the physical one again).

This is also my preferred approach. You simply scroll the lever fully to the right and it will stay there unless I then use my HOTAS button for the brakes. It's effectively a parking brake and I like to do it before start up unless I'm scrambling.