She is sooo slow...

River

OK, final word after doing my own tests: this is a beautiful module, relatively easy and very pleasant to fly. It is also not 'SOOOO Slow". It is in the ballpark with the spitfire and the mustang, but it does not dominate them the way the Dora and the K4 do.

In my own practice mission I find that I have to fly at full throttle in a Mustang to not get caught by a swarm of angry FW Antons. If they have altitude on me I cannot escape from them in a Spit IX.

True: the Anton is not a turn fighter - it is optimized for attacking 4-engine bombers, hence the extra armour and extra cannons causing extra weight. The real-life tactic employed by the Luftwaffe experten was "One Pass and Haul Ass". If you come across enemy fighters and have a tactical advantage, the same rule is used. Do not expect to win protracted dogfight with spits or stangs. This is the way it really was in 1944.

Fly with wingies and use team tactics - everybody did that no matter what fighter they were flying, anyway.

Personally, I find this a most enjoyable module to fly, to look at, and to hear. I much prefer it to the Dora, personally. It feels more responsive and less 'floaty' to me. I think that ED did a fantastic job with this module. It is early access, so there are some small features not yet implemented, but they will be.

Hahaha, now you know how P51D pilots feel vs the 109K4.

Ya, it's hilarious to see people that complain about this when we are in the summer of 1944 with a K4 that did not even exist yet. I like the guy that was just pissed that is was not faster then the MkIX. These are all the same guys that talk about how performance gab between an old MKIX and their K4 doesn't make a difference if you are good, but the gab here makes all of the difference when reversed.

:D

Besides it's all a moot point with a pre-release early access. You can go back in the forums and see all of these exact same complaints for just about every module after release. "We want it early and Perfect!" LoL!

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

Says performs as expected, can ED/Developer provide the charts used to decide the Anton's speed parameters. Every chart I found on the A-8 says she is 40-50kmh slower than depicted. All the charts I found measured at 1.42 ata @ 1.4-1.6 km of altitude says the Anton should be able to produce 575ish Kmh of speed. With the weapons pylon off I'm peaking at 525kmh at at 1.5 km

Also I see some confusion about the ground attack "A-8" The F line of the 190 series was the ground attack version.  FW 190 F-8 was for ground attack specifically.

Edited by Gentoo87
  • Like 3

Unfortunately some war time german reports had results a little bit cranked up to not upset Luftwaffe generals 🙂

• Like 1

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

2 hours ago, grafspee said:

Unfortunately some war time german reports had results a little bit cranked up to not upset Luftwaffe generals 🙂

Can some one provided evidence of such claims. Your claiming Americans or any other nation did not do the same in kind? What a shallow answer, I expect more of child....

All I asked for was the document used to develop the the module to show what we might not understand. I have have found many charts that depict this plane being much faster than described here by about 50kmh without special fuels or injection of any kind. We are also looking to be ATA restricted. Further research shows of the A-8 being capable of 1.58 on the first supercharger, and 1.68 on the second stage. 

I'm hoping some one from ED/developer could step in and share some of the docs used to build the Anton's representation?

• Like 4

As far as i know bmw 801 has only 1 stage supercharger. Any way i tested a8 at 1500m and i got to 570tas kph which is quite fast, add 50kph to this and A8 would be faster then Dora

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

I’ve been getting about 510kph at 300m…

will re-fly at 1500m to be consistent with performance criteria quoted above, but 315mph feels more early war Spit Ia / 105E comparable???

Also, being relatively stable in flight, the Anton is easy to keep trimmed and in a constant pitch / yaw attitude, so observed speeds shouldn’t be too affected by ham-fisted piloting.

On the same route I got a bit more out of the Spit IX - about 525kph / 325mph, but I’m not as smooth on the controls with the Spit, so would expect higher speeds with better flying

Edited by rkk01
  • Like 2

Just flown again at 1500m…

505kph with rad flap “Auf”, 515kph rads “Zu”

slightly higher MP in Zu - 1.4ATA, compared to just under 1.4 in Auf

Again, everything clean, flaps up, no stores pylon, bubble centred / no slip. Flying over Marianas in open beta 

ETA P51D 25-NA hits 560-565 under same conditions

Edited by rkk01
  • Thanks 1

So P-51 should be as fast as A-8 ? i don't see any sense in comparing A-8 to P-51. P-51 is way faster plane, it is faster then K-4

So P-51 50kph faster, what is atrocious 🤣

My A-8 did exact the same 515-520 at 1500m which translates to 570kph TAS which is maybe 10-15 kph slower comparing to FW trail tests.

Definitely not 50kph difference, and ED already explained why that difference in another thread.

Edited by grafspee

I wasn’t suggesting any equivalence between the different aircraft… just trying to get an idea of benchmarking each one.

FWIW, the 109K-4 was very similar to the Mustang, and the Spitfire similar to the Anton - BUT all very different airframes, weights etc

would be interested in a link to the thread where ED addressed this 

• Like 1

So, my original test ^^ was at 300m (≈1000’)… and bearing in mind this was just me trying to benchmark what the A8 was capable of compared to the other warbirds…

So, from the chart, line 1 for the standard clean Anton, the TAS at 300m should be 560kph at 1.42ATA

I’m getting 510kph IAS at 300m (only 1.4ATA or just below)

Allowing 2% per 1000’ conversion IAS to TAS would give an estimate of 520kph at 300m (i.e. 1.02 x 510)

If correct that is 40kph short of the 560 indicated on the test chart

Now, I might have misread the chart or used an overly simplistic IAS / TAS conversion

or the BMW isn’t giving what it should?  

(I don’t get the full 1.42ATA shown on the chart)

Edited by rkk01
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OK, so I’ve just hit 540kph at 300m…

… a significant improvement on my previous 510 or so.  

Manifold pressure gauge also registered 1.42ATA on this flight, compared to 1.38-1.4 on previous.

Only difference - tweaked the field temperature down from 20C to 15C in the ME

Thanks to @grafspee for the heads up on Ts&Ps settings 👍

Edited by rkk01

Ambient temp is massive factor, average 0.6 Celsius drop by every 100m so by adding 5 c you set alt density almost 1000m higher, air pressure was still the SL value. Just imagine what happens at hot day where you have 30+ ambient temp 🙂

Edited by grafspee

You can also remove the bombrack, which is on by default. Not sure if it affects top speed though, there are sometimes weird bugs in DCS with payloads and pylons. 

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

11 minutes ago, some1 said:

You can also remove the bombrack, which is on by default. Not sure if it affects top speed though, there are sometimes weird bugs in DCS with payloads and pylons. 

It affects speed.

On 7/13/2021 at 9:56 AM, grafspee said:

So P-51 should be as fast as A-8 ? i don't see any sense in comparing A-8 to P-51. P-51 is way faster plane, it is faster then K-4

So P-51 50kph faster, what is atrocious 🤣

My A-8 did exact the same 515-520 at 1500m which translates to 570kph TAS which is maybe 10-15 kph slower comparing to FW trail tests.

Definitely not 50kph difference, and ED already explained why that difference in another thread.

Bringing up TAS was a game changer..... We have been arguing about nothing for months. Or miss information/lack of understanding. Tas should be a limited differential at sea level. I'm still feeling it's quite slow down there at 520kph. Mind you the supercharger is out of range down there. Looking at the chart. at 1.5 km TAS does look correct per your statement. 

Yes when I do take the bird up for expected A/A I do remove the bomb rack. 

By no means am I expecting an A-8 to be as quick or hang with a 51 at sea level in pure level flight. The only way I've been able to stay with a 51 on the deck is by forcing the pilot to turn with gun fire. He's not hard to hit when he's flying strait. 

With this new mindset you have laid out. Spitfire on the deck should be capable of 347 ish mph at 18 lbs of boost at 3k RPM. Which would indicate the Anton cannot run from a MK IX. I'm not sure if our Spit has the 61 or 66.

Edited by Gentoo87

• NineLine changed the title to She is sooo slow...