Clouds and shadow pop up normal ?

River

On my 8700k, 32gb, 1080 ti rig there are clouds that just pop up, mostly in distance but sometimes near by. Same goes for shadows. Is that normal in 2.5.2 ?

With a computer like yours, graphics glitches, stutters, framerate tanks, missing textures, crashes etc. etc. etc. are normal features of the fundamental simulation engine.

So, yes, it's normal :)

I just got back from a month-long DCS Forum ban for griping loudly (and somewhat nastily, so I probably shouldn't swear anymore) about stuttering, and here I am, and everyone else is still complaining about this stuff. I'm probably gonna get banned again for this post, but yes, stuff still acts up when you're trying to just fly around by yourself with nothing else going on, even though you have hardly any load on your CPU or video card, and have most of your system memory free.

The sim engine still has numerous glitches. If you get graphics flickering/popping in and out, count yourself lucky. I, and numerous other DCS affictionados, get STUTTERING--including the "chosen ones" with the kind of disposable money for a PC like you have, and have DCS World installed on an uber-fast NVMe SSD like myself in a futile attempt to eliminate stuttering due to asset loading in-mission. Give it all up--it'll never work.

I just wiped out my entire SATA SSD and re-installed Windows in UEFI mode with all the latest device drivers, and DCS World now runs better than ever--better framerates at the same graphics settings, no crashes-to-desktop anymore, even slightly better mission loading times. But, it still likes to STUTTER whenever something happens, like an air-to-air kill or wingman reporting anything on the radio.

So, fly, enjoy, tolerate the flickering and STUTTERING, and try not to get banned :) I have a nagging suspicion that ED will never address the issue of stuttering on explosion effects, usually from A2A kills... or anything else. You get what you get, and if cloud and/or ground texture flickering is your only problem, count yourself blessed. ;)

Peace

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

I just wiped out my entire SATA SSD and re-installed Windows in UEFI mode with all the latest device drivers, and DCS World now runs better than ever--better framerates at the same graphics settings, no crashes-to-desktop anymore, even slightly better mission loading times.

AD

What's the difference between Windows installation in UEFI vs Legacy ??

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

What's the difference between Windows installation in UEFI vs Legacy ??

In purely technical terms, I haven't the foggiest idea. But, it gives you faster boot times, and apps load and run faster--including DCS, which now runs at higher framerates for a given set of graphics settings.

The stuttering problem, especially on A2A kills, is still there, unfortunately. One of your wingmen busts a cap in an enemy, and the sim hiccups. Same thing happens at random times when flying a mission.

My system specs are below, but even in Normandy I only see maybe 6-7 of my 8GB of video RAM being used, and maybe 10 of my 16GB system RAM used. I still get stuttering whenever anything "happens".

UEFI mode seems to do a lot of good overall--but there's still a fundamental problem in how my system (and everyone else's!!!) is working, or a fundamental glitch in DCS World's coding, that causes stuttering.

I'm not a coder, so I couldn't tell you. It's a right bloody shame though--real immersion breaker, and you're always aware of it, it's taking up space in your brain when you're just trying to get into the sim.

Those 8700k-1080 Ti-32GB guys get it too.

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

Thanks for the info, I just fly single player with no weapons. What I found out is that I get that random hiccups when using the left weather option. When I put some clouds into my mission, rain, snow, etc. I get that hiccups. When I use dynamic weather its absolutely fluent and hiccup free. I think its because it is difficult to get heavy cloudy weather in the dynamic setting. For my end I really think its the clouds that gives me that hefty stutter every two minutes or so. There is so much going on with those clouds ... They pop up, change shape all of sudden, they throw weird shadows ...

So, fly, enjoy, tolerate the flickering and STUTTERING, and try not to get banned :) I have a nagging suspicion that ED will never address the issue of stuttering on explosion effects, usually from A2A kills... or anything else. You get what you get, and if cloud and/or ground texture flickering is your only problem, count yourself blessed. ;)

Peace

AD

Do you have the slightest idea of how hard is solving a problem like that? A general I HAVE STUTTERS AND I HAVE A GOOD PC HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE? You make it sound like ED like having stuters in its game and as such they won't do anything.

Let me put this clear to you. An statement like "I have stutters do something and fix your game" worth zero. It is totally meaningless. Do you know how hard is to nail a bug like that which only affect 1 in X people? It could be ANYTHING?: Your drivers doing silly things cause you have a corrupt file, your antivirus messing around, your BIOS not up to date, a bad combination of several things that doesnt get along well with each other...etc, etc...

I dont have stutters btw and I think is not the norm. Why not instead of suggesting that ED dont like fixing bugs in their engine, which is laughable cause they do that every week, dont you make a full report with all necessary logs to help them nail your issue?

PD: BTW in a complex sim engine like DCS is, its impossible not to have some graphical glitch everynow and then. Its just impossible. I play games like overwatch with 30 million sold copies and just 15 small maps in it and still you see glitches around sometimes, now you are asking a small company to be bug free while simulating things like dynamic clouds, dynamic weather, deferred shading,etc... you can get an idea of how unreasonable your request is.

Pop ups are normal depending on your graphics settings.

Stuttering isn't a universal problem, and it is always easy to pick up a big stick to beat ED with. I occasionally get stuttering on multiplayer servers when a particularly heavy load of activity is being dealt with, but not when bombs explode.

As for being banned, it isn't something you need to discuss on a thread about cloud and shadow pop ups is it? Those with a gripe should simply take it up with the moderators, and don't air your dirty washing in public. FWIW no one gets banned for making legitimate complaints, but judging by some posts, perhaps we shouldn't be surprised some have been suspended from the forum. I doubt very much whether anyone else would be concerned about how the moderators operate the forum, which is one of the more civilised ones out here in the ignorantnet.

As DCS World is only now settling down after a radical re-design, to expect a flawless system is a little unrealistic. I am sure as time passes, more and more wrinkles will be ironed out. Let's face it, the biggest restriction on smooth running will always be the currently available hardware, and any software house worth it's salt will always stay at the leading edge of the curve of what is possible. If you don't have the cutting edge technology, and some clearly don't , what do you expect if you try to push the settings too high?

As DCS World is only now settling down after a radical re-design, to expect a flawless system is a little unrealistic. I am sure as time passes, more and more wrinkles will be ironed out. Let's face it, the biggest restriction on smooth running will always be the currently available hardware, and any software house worth it's salt will always stay at the leading edge of the curve of what is possible. If you don't have the cutting edge technology, and some clearly don't , what do you expect if you try to push the settings too high?

My settings aren't too high, I never have problems with framerates. I seldom if ever use all my video memory and never use all my system memory either.

When I watch a vid from one of the 8700k-32GB-1080 Ti crowd, I still notice stuttering. It's them that aren't noticing it :)

Perhaps a total wipe of my NVMe SSD (only for DCS) is in order, but 120GB of stuff is a LOT to download! It wouldn't bother me if I could just DL it overnight as one big 'normal' torrent with a regular torrent client, keep it all on a regular mechanical hard drive, and install only what I want, but that just isn't feasible (and no such torrent exists).

AD

Kit:

I'm one of the "8700K 32GB 1080Ti NVMe" crowd. I'm on openbeta and I've been noticing bad stuttering in clouds since the last update or two back. FPS drops by nearly HALF and its STUTTER STUTTER STUTTER then back to smooth. Heavy clouds seem to cause the worst stuttering. With no clouds I can fly around with virtually no stutter. They recently made some changes to the clouds so that they match the settings in the ME better. I'm not sure if that had something to do with it.

Mirrors are the other thing that causes a big fps hit. Normally its a 10-15fps loss with mirrors on for me. I know other things cause stutter like smoke from rockets and missiles. Hopefully a lot of this will get sorted out with the new Vulkan API.

PC Hardware: Asus Maximus XIII Hero / i9-10900K / 64 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE / Samsung 960 NVMe / LG OLED48CX / Reverb G2

Flight Controls: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / VKB T-RUDDER MKIV / Cougar MFD Set

DCS Modules: F-14 Tomcat / F/A-18C Hornet / AV-8B NA / F-5E Tiger II / A-10C Warthog / F-16C Viper / UH-1 Huey / LOFC3 / Spitfire LF Mk. IX / P-51D Mustang / WWII Assets Pack / Normandy 1944 / NTTR Map / Persian Gulf Map / Syria Map

I'm one of the "8700K 32GB 1080Ti NVMe" crowd. I'm on openbeta and I've been noticing bad stuttering in clouds since the last update or two back. FPS drops by nearly HALF and its STUTTER STUTTER STUTTER then back to smooth. Heavy clouds seem to cause the worst stuttering. With no clouds I can fly around with virtually no stutter. They recently made some changes to the clouds so that they match the settings in the ME better. I'm not sure if that had something to do with it.

Mirrors are the other thing that causes a big fps hit. Normally its a 10-15fps loss with mirrors on for me. I know other things cause stutter like smoke from rockets and missiles. Hopefully a lot of this will get sorted out with the new Vulkan API.

You lucky sod :)

Anyway, I find clouds flicker a lot for some reason... the usual Alt-Enter doesn't change that. So, either it's a sim engine bug or a graphics driver bug. Mirrors for me cause about a 5-10% framerate drop, but no stutteing. I don't get shadow popup.

Missile smoke (especially when firing a whole pile of unguided rockets) is an obvious FPS killer, I think it's been that way for a while.

But, for me, stuttering is random, it happens once in a while when flying around--not too big of a deal--except for air-to-air kills. When the first A2A kills occur in any mission, it's stutter time. WishI knew why, because it really miffs me!!

AD

Kit:

in my opinion it is not DCS that stutters, it is TRACKIR that has some compatibility issues with high-end systems and monitors of 144hz.

Trackir uses opengl, if you use MSI afterburner and monitor the fps within the trackir software you will see that the max fps are 60 , whilile the game is running in directx 11 at higher fps.

OpenGl ( trackir) and game (direcx) are not fps synced, therefore it generates a lot of stutttering when moving around your cocckpit.

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black