Vietnam War - POLL

Hueyman

Vietnam War - POLL  

1091 members have voted

1. 1. Vietnam War - POLL

• Yes, it would create a new dimension to the DCS World simulator
    • No, I prefer 3rds to still work on aircrafts, and to fly in the same old Caucasus

Can you imagine LEatherneck creating a PFV Fishbed? Then a Phantom...

That would be incredible. :) I am really impressed by the current efforts of the Leatherneck Simulations studio team and the other third party teams, as well. :) Speaking of Vietnam, the Belsimtek F-86 would make a good Vietnam era DACT stand in for the Mig-17.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not any kind of map maker but there are still lots of traces of old bases in Vietnam.

Camp Radcliffe

http://goo.gl/maps/HgvsN

LZ English

http://goo.gl/maps/PIBZS

The question I have is whether or not a map can be made from say 1969 data without all the development since then.

FSX has the very thorough Vietnam War Project http://vietnamwar.project.free.fr/ with over 100 airfields, additional aircraft etc. With this and the recommended terrain mesh installed it makes for very good flying from a historical perspective. It is obviously lacking some of the advantages of DCS however.

Edited by UH1Fan
additional info

A Vietnam war mod would rock but it would need to be like Armas mods so you would want it to be a separate mod from the usual DCS to make it easier for players to fly mp. They could with the same units also do a cold war mod for Europe.:thumbup:

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...
The question I have is whether or not a map can be made from say 1969 data without all the development since then..

I don't see why not, there are maps out there.

If you like to look at a few check out these sites.

http://www.freewebs.com/jim4jet/maps.htm

or this one, which has a lot of extra info and pictures

http://www.rjsmith.com/topo_map.html#radcliff2

Edited by DeJohn

I know I've posted on this before, however DCS World would be PERFECT for a Vietnam war scenario, particularly wrt using FACs. I guess we have to decide whether we're after the North Vietnam air war or South Vietnam air war, which were vastly different ie.

NV air war

- flown by F105s/F4s/A6s/F100s (initially I think)

- included Wild Weasel flights (F105s)

- primarily bombing of industrial or other hard targets

- air combat (Mig 17/19/21)

- anti air (AAA/SAM)

- required A2A refueling

SV air war

- primarily CAS

- flown by F100/A1/A6

- heavy use of FAC a/c (O1, OV10, O2)

- no air combat or SAMs, little AAA

- heavy use of helicopters (UH1, AH1)

Unless we have a map big enough to incorporate both scenarios.

AMD AM4 Ryzen7 3700X 3.6ghz/MSI AM4 ATX MAG X570 Tomahawk DDR4/32GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600mhz/1TB 970 Evo SSD/ASUS RTX2070 8gb Super

• 3 weeks later...

New Chopper > Vietnam Map > Yet Anther Fixedwing.

Belsimtek is the only 3rd party developer that has focused on helos (we're very fortunate that they're so skilled at it too, cause could have been very different ...!).

Expand on that niche, please. A LittleBird, maybe?

ED's focus on WWII isn't going to bring anything for the rottorheads either, that's for sure!

Edited by degeus71

• 4 weeks later...
+1 for this

Vietnam was balanced war, only war that Usa lost. So it would be nice to play even from red side :)

Apparently you weren't alive at the time like many of us.

These were very bad times indeed!

A balanced war, i think not. the politicans told us how to fight against all military advisors. We had the planes, ships, ground troops better trained and adapted to the jungle faster than expected. developed seal teams, green berates, chopper assults, chopper gunships, river assualts, and the list goes on. the nva was not a force till much later. vietcong fighters where the real force. fighting in the jungle with ambushes and terror. thank the political power of the us for the loss.

Finding and killing SAMs with an F-105G in that environment would be the tits! This is my biggest dream/hope/wish for anything related to DCS.

BadK

MSI Z270 Gaming M7

Core I7 7700K @ 5.0 GHz

MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming Trio

Corsair Vengence DDR4 2666 32GB

Corsair LE SSD 960GB

Corsair HX 650W

Corsair H100i v2

Corsair 460X Case

Windows 10 Pro 64

CH Products (FS, PT, PP)

Oculus CV1

i would hope they would build all the aircraft that comprise a strike package

whether that's ED per se or 3rd party, i don't care - all will be built to ED's standards so.. doesn't matter "who" builds the airframes..

i7-4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkI | 16Gb DDR3 | EVGA GTX 980 | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | Panasonic TC-58AX800U

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I voted yes as it may get us a bronco, one of my favourite aircrafts.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

I'm hoping for the release of the SDK so that the community that are interested in this can pull together and create the maps needed. The route packages etc. The Vietnam air war was very complicated and interesting. So many different aspects and so many different innovations evolved during the war. I'm currently working on an A-1H Skyraider but I lack the C++ skills to create an AFM. So it's just going to be a Flaming cliffs type deal. Hopefully others can pool their talents and make this happen with or without 3rd party/ED involvement.

I remember the old 1c game "Whirlwind of Vietnam" and there was "Wings Over Vietnam" but there has been nothing else. There is an interest for it, not as great as the interest for WW2 but there definitely is a lot of people interested in the Vietnam air war.

Good Grief

(re: Message #1)

The current map is good enough.

But give us this helicopter, next:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MD_Helicopters_MH-6_Little_Bird

The one in Arma 3 is a bit too arcade.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That being said, any future WWII aircraft purchases by me will necessitate a dedicated WWII arena to fly in to be present first, which is in the works by a 3rd party, supposedly. I have the DCS Mustang.

Edited by DieHard

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Give me a bronco and i'll do FAC for you fastmovers

Give me a Bronco and I'll do Navy Black Pony CAS in the Mekong Delta just like the original mission intended for the OV-10. The OV-10 was really overkill for the FAC mission but the Air Farce insisted on artificially limiting the airframe to a support role. They have never wanted the CAS mission and still don't as evidenced by the repeated attempts to kill the A-10. VAL-4 stood alerts around the clock to support the other units in the delta and were far more responsive and effective than the Air Force fast movers detailed to cover the area. At one point the air force FAC's were forbidden from passing targets to the Navy OV-10's because, get this,... they were making the Air Force Close Air Support system look bad. I'd prefer to be low and slow in an OV-10 popping guerillas with 5" Zuni's and 20mm cannon fire than zipping around at 500kts scattering sticks of Mk-82's around the jungle hoping to hit something other than friendlies. Anyone want to stand alert at Bien Thuy with me to support the SEAL's, PBR's, HAL-3 and the 21st ARVN Division?

Also, on a personal note, my dad was stationed at Bien Thuy (Air Force) in 1970 while VAL-4 was there and it would be interesting to get his reaction to that.

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

The OV-10 was great for the FAC role - the amount of radios, the two seat config (i know the Most flew alone) and the weapons like the 4 7,92mm MGs and the Rockets.

•Relaying the radio comunication

•observ the area

•Guide airstrikes

•and supress the Enemy untill the fastmovers arrive

Sure you can do light attack

But FAC is not less fitting for this plane

The OV-10 did FAC well as it was one of the multiple missions it was capable of but it was overkill to limit such an amazing COIN aircraft that way. The O-1E and O-2A were doing the same exact job with similar effectiveness. Think about it like using dedicated A-10's armed only with marker rockets for FAC... which the AF did as well. I'd also like to see the OV-10D NOGS for a DCS:Vietnam.

The OV-10 is one of my most desired aircraft for DCS along with the F4U Corsair, F-14 Tomcat, F-4G Wild Weasel IV, CV-22 Osprey and MC-130H Combat Talon II. I'd like to see the OV-10D+ as well. Is an OV-10G+ out of the question... IIRC there are two of them being used by AFSOC right now seeing that the Combat Dragon II program is officially over. I'd love to have a AGM-114 armed Bronco.:thumbup:

Edited by Vampyre

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

^That. As good a FAC aircraft it was, it was just as good if not better as a COIN/CAS plane, which it was built as. Then things obviously changed when the USAF panicked at every other branch buying them after they'd said no, especially fearing it would lead to an Army airforce again.