Free Map

Ercoupe

Would the Scale of the Philippine Islands and New Guinea with all the atolls be scalable? The region to be effective in DCS would have to be 1600 miles by 1200 miles at a minimum to make anything of strategic value. Anything less and you are basically on the ocean and will have to use ships.

"There are only two types of aircraft, Fighters and Targets." Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My bet?

Adriatic.

WW2 ops out of Italy into Yugoslavia would fit our current WW2 plane set, whilst also encompassing the whole former Yugoslavia troubles in the '90s which is also a good fit for our late Cold War generation of modern combat aircraft.

With the Chinese assists, how about the East China Seas. Cover the Chinese south east coast, Taiwan, up to Okinawa or southern Japan. Lots of blew water ops!

If artillery is the finger of God, then fast air is Gods hammer.

• 1 month later...

I think that it might be Singapore. It checks all the boxes.

Absolutely beautiful so it could be Wags's favourite place to fly in real life.

It was a warzone in the World war 2.

It could be a good fit for multiplayer matches.

It has a sea so it's suitable for both land based and carrier ops.

It expands into a new part of the world.

Singapore's official language is Chinese which fits the sign posted above (maybe).

With the Chinese assists, how about the East China Seas. Cover the Chinese south east coast, Taiwan, up to Okinawa or southern Japan. Lots of blew water ops!

:thumbup:

Yes and we can still use it as an exercise area.Carrier Groups train there often.Could also be modern day conflict if they include Korea. Fits both modern day and WWII era.Lots of US bases.Lots of water. Speedtrees for Japan of course! :D

Do we know if the new free map will be a modern map or a WW2 map?

I would be happy to see a Cold War-era Cuba and South Florida map, that would be beautiful!

My other bets are: Korea and the Bering Strait.

Evidently one of the criteria according to Wags (cant find the post, but i know he said it) they have for the free map is it having the ability to be applicable to both WW2 and Modern. For example, the current Caucasus map can do both modern and WW2 (Battle of Kuban).

Has the Philippines area been suggested yet?

Edited by MobiSev

Modules owned:

FC3, M-2000C, Mig-21bis, F-5E, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, F-14A&B, JF-17

Evidently one of the criteria according to Wags (cant find the post, but i know he said it) they have for the free map is it having the ability to be applicable to both WW2 and Modern. For example, the current Caucasus map can do both modern and WW2 (Battle of Kuban).

Has the Philippines area been suggested yet?

Yeah I suggested somewhere in the south pacific. I think given the carrier focus it makes the most sense. and its a current hotspot, and would be in WW2 as well. Plus I think they can make island maps fairly easily, much less land to render.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Yeah I suggested somewhere in the south pacific. I think given the carrier focus it makes the most sense. and its a current hotspot, and would be in WW2 as well. Plus I think they can make island maps fairly easily, much less land to render.

Yeah, it would fit most criteria, but to be applicable to WW2, shouldn't we have a Zero module (at least in development)?

has to be WWII applicable,, was mentioned before this on post 90 of this thread

It's always a team decision with our company owner and our CEO having final say. While still too early to announce, key elements of the map must include:

1- Can be converted to both modern day and WWII use.

2- Low overhead, high performance.

3- Geographically laid out to best suit multiplayer matches.

4- Suited for both land-based and carrier ops.

5- Expand into a new part of the world.

Thanks

Edited by AeriaGloria

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

Yeah, it would fit most criteria, but to be applicable to WW2, shouldn't we have a Zero module (at least in development)?

M3 has a F4U corsair in development. An AI zero would be enough for that. Also the P51 did fly in the pacific at the end of the war IIRC.

My other guess for a pacific theatre is the Kamchatka peninusula and Kurile islands. The russians did invade there right at the end of WW2.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

M3 has a F4U corsair in development. An AI zero would be enough for that. Also the P51 did fly in the pacific at the end of the war IIRC.

My other guess for a pacific theatre is the Kamchatka peninusula and Kurile islands. The russians did invade there right at the end of WW2.

For pacific we need p-38

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

I think the P-38 have no place in Pacific at this moment. We need Japoneese and Americans plane like F4U, Wildcat, Avanger, Dauntless ect

Huh? What?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_P-38_Lightning

The P-38 was used most successfully in the Pacific Theater of Operations and the China-Burma-India Theater of Operations as the aircraft of America's top aces, Richard Bong (40 victories), Thomas McGuire (38 victories) and Charles H. MacDonald (27 victories). In the South West Pacific theater, the P-38 was the primary long-range fighter of United States Army Air Forces until the appearance of large numbers of P-51D Mustangs toward the end of the war.

"[...] because, basically, in this day and age, if you get to the merge and no one's died - it's not good for anybody." - Keith 'Okie' Nance
"Nun siegt mal schön!" - Theodor Heuss, September 1958

"Nobody has any intention of building a wall." - Walter Ulbricht, June 1961
"Russia has no plans to invade either Ukraine or any other country.
" - Vladimir Chizhov, Russia's ambassador to the EU, January 2022

What about Australia? Specifically the North (Darwin, Tindal, Weipa, Cape York)

WW2 - Significant allied (Australia, US) airbases located in these areas. Also suffered Japanese air raids, with RAAF fighters launched against the raiders. Bombers also flew from these areas, as well as Beaufighters, P-40’s, Spitfires and many other types.

Modern - Current RAAF bases at Tindal and Darwin, both of which get super busy for operations like Pitch Black. Exercises in the area make use of the huge Delamere range/air space. This would be great for the Hornet (75 sqn based here), and for the Mirage iii (the RAAF operated the iiio) when that comes. The area regularly hosts F-16’s, C-130’s, B-52’s, Hornets, Harriers and many others. Even Mirage 2000’s...

A new map in this area would also bring a variety of landscapes and a tropical environment which would be new to DCS. There is a huge amount of interesting coastline, without many major population centres to drag down frame rates. Tropical coast, dessert, lush rainforest and plenty of water for carrier ops. How about huge tropical storms as the DCS weather engine matures over time...

What do we think?

pngflyer

Edited by pngflyer

Wait a sec, isnt Caucasian map free already?

Yes, but ED announced a 2nd free map.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg