[NOT A BUG] How to use LGBs with accuracy

WildBillKelsoe

Latest open beta, I get the Lasing, give IN, then as waypoint set to AUTO by WPDSG, the weapon falls a few feet short of a supposedly laser designated by AFAC MQ-1 target. Video to follow soon.

Please advise

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

• ED Team

Hi WildBillKelsoe,

If you have a track we can take a look, I cant say I have noticed this myself.

I think a few feet maybe within margin of error, but that is just a guess on my part.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

It should fall on the laser spot. AFAIK, you have to also say "Laser On" in order for the JTAC/AFAC to actually lase the target.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

I did order "LASER ON"

Got "LASING, RESPOND"

Ordered "Spot" then "IN from .."

Got "Cleared hot"

This means the laser was firing and turned on. Plus the F6 view shows bomb correcting towards target.

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

• ED Team

Just checked again and all seems ok here.

Edited by BIGNEWY

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

It sounds like you have the laser firing before you release the bombs. The tracking mechanism of pavewayII isnt very efficient and will bleed energy like crazy making the bomb fall short if the laser is on the whole time. To avoid this its best to drop the bomb and call laser on within the last 10-15seconds until impact.

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

They also work best when dropped from a high altitude, what altitude were you dropping from?

I would suggest at least 10,000ft, but up to about 20,000ft is better.

That gets the bomb on a nice steep angle for better accuracy.

Believe it or not it was above 20000 feet. I was between 24-27Kft the whole box pattern. Could winds at 8 m/s do this?

It sounds like you have the laser firing before you release the bombs. The tracking mechanism of pavewayII isnt very efficient and will bleed energy like crazy making the bomb fall short if the laser is on the whole time. To avoid this its best to drop the bomb and call laser on within the last 10-15seconds until impact.

Thats onyl true for the A10c.

In the hornet (dont know why) the bomb will only start looking for laser and manouvering after it's achieved a good flight path.

In the hornet (dont know why) the bomb will only start looking for laser and manouvering after it's achieved a good flight path.

That should probably be reported and fixed then.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

Its correct behaviour in the hornet. An LGB should start its tracking after a while, once its nose its pointing in the right direction.

Yes? So it should be reported and fixed so it's the right behaviour everywhere.

Also, you say you “don't know why”, what are you referring to? Why it's working like that in the Hornet? Why they don't have one bomb logic that is used for all instances of that bomb?

That said, though, I'm not sure that's an entirely accurate description. The LGBs in the A-10C also only start tracking once they point in the right direction — they can't pick up the laser if it's outside the sensor LOS. If that's not what's happening in the Hornet, then that's not the right behaviour either.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

I've been dropping GBI-12s with the A-10C recently and they only pick up the laser when the laser seeker is pointing in the general direction of the lased target. It's correct behavior like that.

What would be interesting is to test the Hornet in MP, with someone in an A-10C or Harrier providing the designation. That would determine if it's a problem with the JTAC or not.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Yes? So it should be reported and fixed so it's the right behaviour everywhere.

Also, you say you “don't know why”, what are you referring to? Why it's working like that in the Hornet? Why they don't have one bomb logic that is used for all instances of that bomb?

That said, though, I'm not sure that's an entirely accurate description. The LGBs in the A-10C also only start tracking once they point in the right direction — they can't pick up the laser if it's outside the sensor LOS. If that's not what's happening in the Hornet, then that's not the right behaviour either.

JDAMs also dont fly the same in the hornet than in the hog. Maybe im wrong though.

And no, the LGBs in the a10c can start tracking right after pickle based on DSMS settings.

I've been dropping GBI-12s with the A-10C recently and they only pick up the laser when the laser seeker is pointing in the general direction of the lased target. It's correct behavior like that.

What would be interesting is to test the Hornet in MP, with someone in an A-10C or Harrier providing the designation. That would determine if it's a problem with the JTAC or not.

My observation is that the lgb dropped in the hornet start tracking very very late (good) and the ones dropped in the a10c depends on settings.

JDAMs also dont fly the same in the hornet than in the hog. Maybe im wrong though.

Ok… so another thing that should probably be reported and fixed, then.

And no, the LGBs in the a10c can start tracking right after pickle based on DSMS settings.
…assuming they're pointing in the right direction and picking up the laser. Are you suggesting that the Hornet's don't, because that definitely does not sound like the correct behaviour. That would mean that they're designed to not work in many instances, which would be a pretty horrible flaw.
Edited by Tippis

Ok… so another thing that should probably be reported and fixed, then.

…assuming they're pointing in the right direction and picking up the laser. Are you suggesting that the Hornet's don't, because that definitely does not sound like the correct behaviour. That would mean that they're designed to not work in many instances, which would be a pretty horrible flaw.

You are mixing things up. In one hand we have what is currently in dcs and on the other hand we have what dcs should have. Two different animals.

All i said to you was that asking jtac to lase after dropping the bomb in the hornet isnt a good practice and wont do any good.

You are mixing things up. In one hand we have what is currently in dcs and on the other hand we have what dcs should have. Two different animals.

No, I'm simply trying to get a clear answer as to which you believe is which, since that rather determines which one needs to be fixed.

No, I'm simply trying to get a clear answer as to which you believe is which, since that rather determines which one needs to be fixed.

Thats the problem, I dont really know how the militaries build an LGB.

I was pointing out that within dcs there are different behaviours.

OK here is a video of the issue

and here is a tacview of the whole mission. you can see it all LGBs are landing right under the T-80U tank but no effect is visible from the top. Maybe the penetration model has changed?

BTW the flying GBU-12 is a bug. I can share this video . Never have I seen a weapon released downwards flying upwards like a glider..

Tacview-20190622-220846-DCS-325 Company Day Advance - Kutaisi.zip.zip

• ED Team

Hi WildBillKelsoe

I will take a look at the video and tacview this morning.

We really need to see a track, so we can try to reproduce, as I don't seem to be having the issue myself.

Use the paveway mission, you will be straight into the action and make the track shorter.

Let me know what mission you are using and I will check that also.

Screen_190624_070053.thumb.jpg.415d946cbf2618b4bafc1723cac73a57.jpg

Edited by BIGNEWY

Hey Newy, OK I shall fly it and post the track in a few minutes.