A-10C after 2.5.5. update.

Arink429

I think the APU volume should be decreased and mixed with some other kind of noise, because from the cockpit the sound is not comming from the external sound only; a part of sound is due to vibrations the engines and APU transmit to the cell. In the game the APU sounds like the listener was placed out of the plane. In my opinion, the engine sound for me is acceptable from the speed-up on take off, but for start-up is very poor and unrealistic. I don't know the TF-34 sound but I suppose very simmilar to CF-34 I'm familiar to.

Actually the APU sound in game was recorded by me sitting in the cockpit with the APU running, canopy opened. Even with the Canopy closed on the ground with engines at idle is loud.

I supposed it a little bit quiet, especially wearing helmet.

Anyway for me the weakest point of the new enviroment is the engine sound during start-up. For the rest it's appropiate for me. I love the engine whistling sound during speed-up before the brakes release.

Thanks, Snoopy.

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO WiFi AC / i7-8700K@5.0 GHz / 2xM.2 Toshiba OCZ RD400 1Tb / 4xCorsair 8Gb (32Gb) DDR4@3000 MHz / 2xGeforce GTX 1080 Ti + 1Geforce GTX 680 / SoundBlaster Fatal1ty / Windows 10 Home x64 / TM Warthog / TM TPR Pedals / Oculus Rift / Samsung UE32EH5000W

OK, just for completion in case someone else comes looking for this same issue. I have everything working now. The symbolic link redirects are in and that solved the ATC and Betty issues. I looked into the "sounds\speech\sound\eng\common\disabled_player" and that is how Vaicom Pro is disabling the player speech, so those are expected error messages. All else seems to be working fine now.

Now I'm experiencing the same thing other people have reported; Betty telling me to pull-up when I'm 1,500 in the air and flying level. Seems it's locking onto objects in the distance when it happens.

I will agree. Spool up sounds wrong

Something definitely sounds odd when spooling up the engines

but for start-up is very poor and unrealistic.

Anyway for me the weakest point of the new enviroment is the engine sound during start-up.

It sounds to me like we lost the audio for the Air Turbine Starter. I has no cranking sound, and makes the starting process very quiet. I've made a thread in the bug section.

It sounds to me like we lost the audio for the Air Turbine Starter. I has no cranking sound, and makes the starting process very quiet. I've made a thread in the bug section.

You can’t hear the starter on an A-10C when starting engines. The sound has never been correct in dCS for the A-10C (and A) when staring engines. We have a very definitive low bass sound when ignition kicks off. Otherwise all you hear is the APU under a load.

And yes, the sound is way different. Something definitely sounds odd when spooling up the engines, like I'm sitting in a nice, plush, business jet instead of a beast of a weapons platform.

Hate to break it to ya. Those engines are the same ones from your neighborhood CRJ regional jet. Only difference is the rating.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

Hate to break it to ya. Those engines are the same ones from your neighborhood CRJ regional jet. Only difference is the rating.

Haha yup, that's where I got my recordings for my sound mod actually! CF-34s and TF-34s are identical inside

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Yes, you're correct. I'll admit that, which I thought I already did when replying to Snoopy's post correcting me the first time. You don't need to hate to break it to me, you're not upsetting the balance of my delicate little world here. :huh:

Snoopy pointed out that the sound was recorded while sitting in an actual A-10C, so that's definitive enough for me. I've never had the luck to even see one in person, let alone hear the sound from outside or inside. I wasn't thinking the engines were different, I was pondering the possible lack of sound insulation between the two plane styles; regional jet being more civilian and commercial where a military jet might not focus so much on sound insulation as armor, systems, etc.. I was strictly going off the way it sounded before the patch and after the patch. Now that I know, it's no big deal. I can even turn the volume sliders way back up and hear everything else in better detail, since the old engines drowned out so much of everything.

Anyway, I was pondering the whole fiasco that started with my ATC and Betty chatter. I wonder if the whole thing was brought on by Vaicom Pro. I still have not had anyone confirm or deny the existence of symbolic links named "redirect" inside the A-10C and ATC sound file directories. I'm interested in if this was a DCS or Vaicom issue, and where the bug originated.

__Redirect sounds like the sound redirect to second sound card switch inside Vaicom, and the "disabled_player" directory sounds like how Vaicom disabled the player pilot calls.

Yes, you're correct. I'll admit that, which I thought I already did when replying to Snoopy's post correcting me the first time. You don't need to hate to break it to me, you're not upsetting the balance of my delicate little world here. :huh:

Snoopy pointed out that the sound was recorded while sitting in an actual A-10C, so that's definitive enough for me. I've never had the luck to even see one in person, let alone hear the sound from outside or inside. I wasn't thinking the engines were different, I was pondering the possible lack of sound insulation between the two plane styles; regional jet being more civilian and commercial where a military jet might not focus so much on sound insulation as armor, systems, etc.. I was strictly going off the way it sounded before the patch and after the patch. Now that I know, it's no big deal. I can even turn the volume sliders way back up and hear everything else in better detail, since the old engines drowned out so much of everything.

Anyway, I was pondering the whole fiasco that started with my ATC and Betty chatter. I wonder if the whole thing was brought on by Vaicom Pro. I still have not had anyone confirm or deny the existence of symbolic links named "redirect" inside the A-10C and ATC sound file directories. I'm interested in if this was a DCS or Vaicom issue, and where the bug originated.

__Redirect sounds like the sound redirect to second sound card switch inside Vaicom, and the "disabled_player" directory sounds like how Vaicom disabled the player pilot calls.

Haha, okay. I don’t see anywhere where he corrected your statement I quoted. You said it sounds like a civilian jet. He said, yeah the externals are a bit off but internals are good and recorded from an A-10. I said, actually it is a common engine on business and regional jets. No need to get angry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

Haha, okay. I don’t see anywhere where he corrected your statement I quoted. You said it sounds like a civilian jet. He said, yeah the externals are a bit off but internals are good and recorded from an A-10. I said, actually it is a common engine on business and regional jets. No need to get angry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bah, I'm definitely not angry here. I'm tired today (on call for work, dealing with some insomnia, etc.) and maybe my sarcastic humor is showing through a little more abrasive than it usually does. Trust me, I'm deadpan and slightly amused at the moment, and was when I wrote my response. Sorry if it came across wrong. I'm a bit weird, so not everyone gets me.

I just don't play as well on the public playgrounds as I used to when I was a younger biomass. :-D

Snoopy..........Keep in mind a pilot will be wearing a helmet. How did you simulate that when recording it with a mic?

There is a checkbox in the audio options to simulate wearing a helmet that I use when I'm wearing headphones. I wonder if that uses a different sound bite, or if it just attenuates the sound levels a bit.

There is a checkbox in the audio options to simulate wearing a helmet that I use when I'm wearing headphones. I wonder if that uses a different sound bite, or if it just attenuates the sound levels a bit.

Not really what I asked. No playing with our settings will be right if the original recording wasn't right. If he recorded the sound inside the cockpit with a bare mic. That's not what a real pilot would hear wearing a helmet.

Buzz

Snoopy..........Keep in mind a pilot will be wearing a helmet. How did you simulate that when recording it with a mic?

What one would do is play pink noise out of speaker with a flat response and take a reference measurement.

Then, seal the reference microphone in the helmet and measure the difference in frequency response. This will let you generate a filter curve that you can apply to any audio file to approximate what it would sound like from inside of the helmet...at that point, you only need to worry about capturing accurate sounds when you record any other elements. It also allows you to hear the unfiltered audio if you so choose without having multiple sets of files and thus installation bloat.

Not really what I asked. No playing with our settings will be right if the original recording wasn't right. If he recorded the sound inside the cockpit with a bare mic. That's not what a real pilot would hear wearing a helmet.

Sorry, I don't think I was being very clear on what I was saying... see below...

What one would do is play pink noise out of speaker with a flat response and take a reference measurement.

Then, seal the reference microphone in the helmet and measure the difference in frequency response. This will let you generate a filter curve that you can apply to any audio file to approximate what it would sound like from inside of the helmet...at that point, you only need to worry about capturing accurate sounds when you record any other elements. It also allows you to hear the unfiltered audio if you so choose without having multiple sets of files and thus installation bloat.

This is what I was wondering, if they're applying a realistic filter curve when you check that box that simulates headset use, or using a different sound file, or just damping down things by adjusting gain or something.

Clever. Maybe that's what he did.

Buzz

Sorry, I don't think I was being very clear on what I was saying... see below...

This is what I was wondering, if they're applying a realistic filter curve when you check that box that simulates headset use, or using a different sound file, or just damping down things by adjusting gain or something.

No problem.

Buzz

Hahahahahahaha thanks for reminding me that pilots wear helmets, I use to strap them into an ACES II almost daily. ;)

But to your question, I did not ED asked for the sound raw and thats what I sent them. But as someone who has ran APU and engines with the canopy opened and closed even with double hearing protection the APU is louder than the engines.0

We have a very definitive low bass sound when ignition kicks off.

Yeah. I was able to hear that very particular sound yesterday in a video.

It wouldn't bad to have it in the sim (including the short smoke at power up)!

This procedure would be an improvement but it misses the binaural nature of our hearing. Luckily enough, there are some professional manufacturers of binaural microphone systems.

Binaural recordings + HRTF processing would add a whole new layer of realism :)