Jetstream

Dave317

I didn't know that, thank you. I may update the description in the video, do you mind if I quote you?

Well, sure... You can quote the facts, if any. :) Thanks for asking.

i7-7700K@4.8GHz, 16Gb-3200, GTX-1080Ti-Strix-11Gb, Maximus IX Hero, Oculus Rift, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C, Logitech G940 Pedals.

"walk the throttles" is a term used when you use very small incremental movements, left,right,left etc on the throttle. Not necessarily applicable to only twin engine aircraft. I think it reflects more the micro movement of moving the throttle so you don't have large jerky movements when small power setting changes are needed. This term was used a few times during air to air refuelling and close formation flying.

I hope that makes sense?

Edited by Mule

what did the flight instructor mean by walking the throttles in the formation flying training?

Here in chap 2 they show it. Instead of moving them together, for small power changes they move them in little alternating steps: left, right, left, right... same as walking. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

;3489589']This series is absolute GOLD for anyone getting in to DCS!

This clip is what stuck with me the most after watching the whole thing, I'll never forget this!

Something, if I am being really honest with myself, lack in large amounts. Never been able to think quickly and often find myself overloaded in just about any situation, Never mind being upside down pulling G and having my life threatened. :)

Here in chap 2 they show it. Instead of moving them together, for small power changes they move them in little alternating steps: left, right, left, right... same as walking. :)

wow, thanks for that... But I have to watch it a ton of times because it is such a short clip of the throttle movement...

Actually, this show was a big influence on determining the early access level of content / systems. Just like the show, we want the early access release to be a great tool for lead-in training on the Hornet.

So satisfying to hear that. One spoonful of the Elephant at a time.

What about the concern of asymmetric thrust and flying out of coordinated flight when using such a technique?

You're only talking tiny differences in thrust, not enough to make a noticeable difference.

Wags, do you know what this "walk the throttles" technique is? That short 2 second shot in the Jetstream clip is not enough to learn what it is exactly...

?? This was already covered. See previous page.

"walk the throttles" is a term used when you use very small incremental movements, left,right,left etc on the throttle. Not necessarily applicable to only twin engine aircraft. I think it reflects more the micro movement of moving the throttle so you don't have large jerky movements when small power setting changes are needed. This term was used a few times during air to air refuelling and close formation flying.

This is absolutely correct. I had a couple of opportunities to fly an F18 (briefly in a previous life!) and in close formation "walking the throttles" was the key to "smoothly" maintaining station. Having only flown single engine jets before this opportunity, it was new to me, but a quickly acquired technique. Will be interesting to see how the DCS F18 responds to this input on a TM Warthog for example...

Actually, this show was a big influence on determining the early access level of content / systems. Just like the show, we want the early access release to be a great tool for lead-in training on the Hornet.

:thumbup:

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

• 1 month later...

Only just come across the series by accident and now found this thread. Watched the whole series. What a fantastic and useful backdrop when getting to grips with the exceptional DCS F18.

F/A-18C Campaigns : The Serpent’s Head / The Serpent’s Head 2

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.