Sidearm question (HUD indication since patch) and water question

D4n

So, I heard the lock circle was not on the target in the HUD, did the patch change something?

Can sb. make a short video (few seconds) of how it looks like when locking a radar SAM?

(does the HUD circle look like A-10C sidewinder circle?)

I'm trying to understand current state of DCS Harrier (I'm considering buying it, but want to know if radars/SAMS/EWRs show up in HUD when 1 sidearm is equipped).

Also, is there a way to slew TGP to center of HUD/sidearm lock or not (in DCS or IRL)?

And last, what does the Harrier need water for (IRL and thus in DCS) ?

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

So the reason most probably was that the materials that they had at the time were too expensive (or heavy?) to make them absorb heat enough so they decided a cheaper solution is water cooling? :P

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

So, I heard the lock circle was not on the target in the HUD, did the patch change something?

AFAIK the Sidearm circle drops to the bottom of the HUD and tone changes when locked, I think it can perhaps give the azimuth (direction) of a target but not it's precise location on the HUD.

Can sb. make a short video (few seconds) of how it looks like when locking a radar SAM?

Shiftie Mover made a

that includes lots of attacks, not sure, if anything was changed in 2.5.2

I'm trying to understand current state of DCS Harrier (I'm considering buying it, but want to know if radars/SAMS/EWRs show up in HUD when 1 sidearm is equipped).

AFAIK the Sidearm won't show you where a SAM is in the HUD. You still need to use the RWR, TPOD and the location of launching SAM smoke trails to find your SAM site.

The Sidearm is for self defence, it's not an equivalent of the Su-25T ELINT pod or similar.

Also, is there a way to slew TGP to center of HUD/sidearm lock or not (in DCS or IRL)?

No

And last, what does the Harrier need water for (IRL and thus in DCS) ?

Engine cooling (allowable max temps/rpm are increased) - it enables an extra power 'boost' during STO's and/or VL's near max VSTOL weights. Note: there's an Power Margine Indicator (Hexagon) the appears on the HUD to help the pilot manage the RPM/EGT limits near maximum, engine damage is modelled and something you'll want to avoid.

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

So the reason most probably was that the materials that they had at the time were too expensive (or heavy?) to make them absorb heat enough so they decided a cheaper solution is water cooling? :P

Just - No.

Nothing is for 'free' - you are already using the 'best' materials available, how long do you want the engine to last, do you want max loadouts / short engine life / high maintenance costs or bigger safety margins.

Using cooling helps extend engine life and boost performance where it's needed (takeoff/landing), it's a pragmatic solution - but the Harrier was wanted then, not in 10 or 20 years time.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Thank god no other aircraft need water xD

water injection is commonly used in racing sports and car tuning too,

for performance boost

Thank god no other aircraft need water xD

Many aircraft (jets and piston) have used water including German aircraft i.e. the MW50 water/methanol system added to later Bf 109's.

AFAIK the original Pegasus engine was designed in 1959.

Around the same time as the KC-135 tanker with J57 engines.

Edited by Ramsay

From your local neighborhood Wikipedia, easier than typing it myself:

Water injection has been used in both reciprocating and turbine aircraft engines. When used in a turbine engine, the effects are similar, except that normally preventing detonation is not the primary goal. Water is normally injected either at the compressor inlet or in the diffuser just before the combustion chambers. Adding water increases the mass being accelerated out of the engine, increasing thrust, but it also serves to cool the turbines. Since temperature is normally the limiting factor in turbine engine performance at low altitudes, the cooling effect lets the engine run at higher RPM with more fuel injected and more thrust created without overheating.[3] The drawback of the system is that injecting water quenches the flame in the combustion chambers somewhat, as there is no way to cool the engine parts without coincidentally cooling the flame. This leads to unburned fuel out the exhaust and a characteristic trail of black smoke.

Higher RPM= More Thrust

More Thrust= More weight or a shorter takeoff roll (VSTOL)

Edited by Stache

——————

i7 7820x 4.3ghz

Asus tuf x299 mk 2

32gig G.skill 3200mhz ram

500gig ssd OS

2x 1tb ssd raid 0

GeForce GTX 1080

HTC Vive