That's no dead pixel

Upper left, is a black dot. At first I thought it was a dead pixel on my monitor... but it is visible in screen shots so I know it's not a dead pixel. Here it is at different zoom levels in the screenshot. It looks like it's part of something bigger. This also appears inside the cockpit as well, irregardless of which direction I look, so it's not dirt on the canopy or anything.

089088d553.jpg

d6dd0b6d0c.jpg

8450cd2e1b.png

And I have it in VR, but there its bright, and at 10 o'clock, in all modules.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Okay, I love the lack of official response to this... but anyway, I have a theory.

I noticed it's in the same 3D plane as all the other text boxes on that side in VR. I have a feeling that there's some errant part of these windows that's generating the dot for some reason. Like the entire thing is supposed to be transparent but for some reason this one tiny pixel of them isn't. Which is why it's not relegated to strictly VR or 2D.

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it for now.

attachment.php?attachmentid=161322&stc=1&d=1493181118

attachment.php?attachmentid=161323&stc=1&d=1493181118

k13p8o.jpg

sypo91.jpg

Can't help it.... must not....

CPU: i7 980x @ 4.2GHz RAM: 24gb Corsair Vengeance

MB: Gigabyte Sniper X58 w/onboard Soundblaster X-Fi

HD: SanDisk 480gb SSD OS: Win7 Pro 64bit

VIDEO CARD: EVGA GTX 980ti FTW

MONITOR: LG 34" Ultrawide 2560x1080

MP SERVER: ibuypower i7-4810MQ w/Win7 Home 64bit

GEAR: Saitek X-52 Pro; Combat Rudder Pedals; Throttle Quadrants. Thrustmaster MFD's, TrackIR 5 w/Pro Clip, Turtle Beach X-12 Headset

oh man, im having one of those in dcs but while flying, and in other side, i tried to find it outside of dcs but never could... now im thinking if it is dcs itself... damn so many hours trying to wash the spot o.O

I7 7700k - Msi Z270 Gaming+

GTX 1070ti

16gb @2400

2x Samsung 850EVO 250/500 - 1x HDD 1TB

SAITEK-MAD CATZ CYBORG FLY 5 STICK

WIN 10

I've noticed the "dot" more since flying the warbirds, its been driving me nuts.

I've cleaned my monitor loads of times but couldn't get rid of that "dot"

Thanks Eihort, I'm not going mad :doh:

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.

Plato

• 1 month later...

Yes DCS really needs to address this. I have had this for some time now and been waiting to see if they fix it. It is in all three versions I have installed and is always there. It is super annoying if you play mostly older aircraft as you always have a "fake" contact in the corner of your eye. I have tested everything and it's defiantly a DCS thing. I can't get it to show in any other way then via running DCS.

• ED Team

I have looked for the dot, not seeing it myself

remove all mods and run a cleanup and repair, check if you still have the same issue

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I'm not running any mods on Alpha, wasn't even running SRS, but had it installed for 1.5...

Removed it completely just in case.

I'll do a repair and see if anything changes.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.

Plato

dannyq8,

I should mention at the time of problem I was using SRS 1.3.2. I usually run DCS in windowed mode not full screen. This may also cause this problem. What clued me into SRS and overlay was the Pixel DOT move position on screen after installing another version of 1.5.xxxx. Something else which was weird is I would have the DOT without running SRS. Maybe linked to a config file entry or something????

I removed SRS and all its files and edits and then ran a clean repair of 1.5 and DOT was gone for me.

Hope this helps

Spoiler

System Specs: MB - MSI ACEX570S, AMD 5950X, 64GB 3600 NEO RAM, 3090 TI 24GB

__

A-10C2 Wisconsin 176th (TFS) 128th (TFW) - Repaint

Run Clean

DCS_Updater.exe clean

To Remove Any Modified/Unversioned/Unofficial Files from the DCS Folder

Then Run Repair

DCS_Updater.exe repair

To Replace any DCS Files that may have been removed or edited.

The issue w/ just running repair is that it does not remove any files left by mods, and those files are likely still being loaded.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Run Clean

DCS_Updater.exe clean

To Remove Any Modified/Unversioned/Unofficial Files from the DCS Folder

Then Run Repair

DCS_Updater.exe repair

To Replace any DCS Files that may have been removed or edited.

The issue w/ just running repair is that it does not remove any files left by mods, and those files are likely still being loaded.

Does this command work on Beta and Alpha versions? On those I get "unknown command".

Edited by Catseye

Does this command work on Beta and Alpha versions? On those I get "unknown command".

sorry, typo, it's:

DCS_Updater.exe cleanup

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

For a work around without deleting anything of SRS and still be able to use it, cycle the overlay with Ctrl+Shift+Escape until you get rid of the dot. (can be made on the main menu)

With a name like "SRS Stand alone" you'd think it wouldn't install anything into DCS....

It only connects with dcs through scripts files under a folded dedicated for it in DCS root directory that you can delete any time you want.

No data is modified. Is actually the cleanest way an addon can interact with a video game/simulator...

In case someone is wondering, it's the overlay scripts making the "dead pixel bug". If you delete both overlay scripts files the dot disapear but you are left without radio tune and volume control between the 3d cockpit and SRS.

Edited by Czar66
Found a work around.

For a work around without deleting anything of SRS and still be able to use it, cycle the overlay with Ctrl+Shift+Escape until you get rid of the dot. (can be made on the main menu)

It only connects with dcs through scripts files under a folded dedicated for it in DCS root directory that you can delete any time you want.

No data is modified. Is actually the cleanest way an addon can interact with a video game/simulator...

In case someone is wondering, it's the overlay scripts making the "dead pixel bug". If you delete both overlay scripts files the dot disapear but you are left without radio tune and volume control between the 3d cockpit and SRS.

Sorry this has only been brought to my attention now. You only should need to delete the DCS-SRS-OverlayGameGUI.lua file as thats the only thing that draws on DCS. SRS will function fine without that file that file - its just the native DCS overlay

Its an easy fix - im away at the moment but will fix some time next week :)

Please report these kind of things directly to me if you find them! :)

• Like 1

Scripts: Complete Transport And Logistics Deployment - CTLD / CTLD Examples - Lots of example of how to use CTLD

CSAR Script - Downed Pilot Rescue / Dedicated Server Script - Automatically launch DCS Multiplayer server at startup

Range Scoring Script - Get scores and counts hits on targets for gunnery or bombs / SimpleSlotBlock - Multiplayer dynamic Slot Blocking Script

Projects: DCS-SimpleRadio Standalone - DCS Radio Integration for All Aircraft - NO TeamSpeak Required! :)

DCS-SimpleRadio Troubleshooting Post / DCS-SimpleRadio Free Support Channel on Discord