What is the in-game difference between AIM-7M and MH?

Silvern

I think I was wrong in my earlier comment - I had another play today and it seems like the AIM-7M doesn't loft, but the MH definitely does. Not sure how I got that mixed up before, thought I'd seen the M lofting but it doesn't look like it does (even with LOFT on the Hornet's HUD).

RedKites video says the AIM-MH homes in on a radar jamming source. Think tiny HARM...

i7-7700K, 32GB DDR4, 525GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080Ti 11GB, Liquid Cooling, Win 10, Warthog HOTAS, TPR Pedals, HP Reverb, Oculus Rift with Touch, Jetseat and bass shakers, PointCTRL, and Scale F-14B Cockpit

Can both LOFT?

nope

AIM-7F - FLOOD navigation

AIM-7M - FLOOD navigation

AIM-7MH - LOFTed navigation

LOFT navigation

Command Guidance - In the guided launch mode, the aircraft Radar is used through the missile flight to send guidance updates to the missile. The target must be maintained in full track throughout the entire time of flight to intercept. Two flight profiles; Lofted and Conventional are available for selection. Lofted navigation provides additional range and terminal energy by sending the missile into thinner air prior to the terminal phase of flight. Conventional flight provides a shorter TOF and may be more appropriate for targets at closer ranges where energy conservation is not paramount.

LOFT Option - Some AAMs are capable of a LOFT maneuver which increases the aerodynamic range (Raero) of the missile by sending it up into thinner air and allowing it to conserve more energy to use during the terminal guidance phase where the majority of the missiles energy is usually lost. The downside is that lofting will usually take longer to strike the target. This LOFT (or not) behavior is accounted for in all of the various range calculations and indications for the seleted weapon prior to launch.

FLOOD navigation

FLOOD Illumination - Flood Illumination is a back-up mode that is used when ever a L&S LOS is not available or when the Radar cannot obtain STT in PDI. If the Radar uses the Flood antenna, the main antenna is lowered out of the way and the Radar is no longer able to receive target returns. The Flood antenna illumination pattern fills the HUD field of view and is centered at aircraft boresight. The Radar automatically enters FLOOD after the weapon is launched without a L&S target present.

Edited by Magot

nope

AIM-7F - FLOOD navigation

AIM-7M - FLOOD navigation

AIM-7MH - LOFTed navigation

LOFT navigation

FLOOD navigation

Well, don’t think that’s correct. Flood mode can be used for any AIM-7 variant , it just uses the PDI illuminator to try to guide when a missile is fired with no target bugged. Applicable to any Sparrow.

The M should capable of loft, since it has an autopilot to enable it to fly optimal flight profiles, I.e Loft.

The MH seems to be a slightly upgraded M, though nobody seems too sure. Also Loftable.

We should also get the P version at some point, as far as I know this uses some sort of datalink to enable lock on after launch, which should be interesting.

RedKites video says the AIM-MH homes in on a radar jamming source. Think tiny HARM...

I think it means HOJ - Home on Jam.. If a aircraft is using their jammer then the missile will guide itself to the signal.

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

Loft is executed beyond a certain distance or time of flight. I don't recall which and what number that is for the 7MH, though IIRC you are also supposed to pitch up to 30 degrees to initiate it, AFAIK.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Yes, but how does that reflect in-game?

I would also like to know that.

+1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Don't you risk losing lock when you pitch up?
I wouldn't imagine so...why would you lose lock? Your bandit is over 15nm away and your radar has a 60 deg gimbal.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

How's the LOFT done actually? I did a shot at ~10nm (usually fire at less than 6nm only) with the MH in LOFT mode and it just went straight ahead the target as usual...

Loft is executed beyond a certain distance or time of flight. I don't recall which and what number that is for the 7MH, though IIRC you are also supposed to pitch up to 30 degrees to initiate it, AFAIK.

Assuming it’s the same as the eagle, IRL criteria to invoke lofted steering are:

• STT track
  • rotate the nose 20 degress above the normal steering command
  • target must be within 20% of RMax1
  • TOF must be >10 seconds
  • target’s aspect greater than 45deg
  • ownship altitude <40kft
  • target altitude <60kft

Edited by SinusoidDelta

I wouldn't imagine so...why would you lose lock? Your bandit is over 15nm away and your radar has a 60 deg gimbal.

How is that 60 degrees represented? When you say it's a 60 deg gimbal, Is that 60 deg from center upward and downward making it a 120 deg arc, or is it 30 deg up and 30 down making the total arc 60 deg?

Assuming it’s the same as the eagle, IRL criteria to invoke lofted steering are:

• STT track
  • rotate the nose 20 degress above the normal steering command
  • target must be within 20% of RMax1
  • TOF must be >10 seconds
  • target’s aspect greater than 45deg
  • ownship altitude <40kft
  • target altitude <60kft

Makes sense. And it would explain why flood mode doesn't loft since it has no idea range to target on launch.

How is that 60 degrees represented? When you say it's a 60 deg gimbal, Is that 60 deg from center upward and downward making it a 120 deg arc, or is it 30 deg up and 30 down making the total arc 60 deg?

120 deg arc

60 deg up

60 down

Cool pic that shows how much angle she gets, this is the APG-65 and we have the APG-73.

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

In Hornet Mechanization ASE steering dot provides LOFT cue.

Right but loft cue is just to prevent missile from having to turn to loft, maximizing energy. Missile still should loft even if you're not pointed the right way. It will just require a turn from the missile to go from launch vector to loft vector.

Flood puts the missile in dogfight mode (programming internal to the missile) which does a whole bunch of set up for maneuvering and fusing that is probably not good for loft. Also, you cannot satisfy a TOF requirement for loft since range to target is not available.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]