The F-35 Thread

Groove

Huh. Maybe it's just their shape makes them appear big to me. Feel silly now. They give the impression, to me at least, of being bulky and large more so than the others. I see 16s and 18s regularly also. I guess from below looking at a flat blue sky there's not much frame of reference. I stand corrected :p

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Huh. Maybe it's just their shape makes them appear big to me. Feel silly now. They give the impression, to me at least, of being bulky and large more so than the others. I see 16s and 18s regularly also. I guess from below looking at a flat blue sky there's not much frame of reference. I stand corrected :p

It's definitely the fuselage. The blended shape makes it look pretty THICC.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

It is definitely bulkier. One of the most shocking things when you're up close, though, is how differently everything is shaped. Everything is smooth and blended on a stealth jet, and it doesn't feel like you're standing next to a fighter jet. More like a spaceship. That, and the weapons bays are huge.

re: the much earlier discussion about f-35 vs f-18 vortex generation and the lack of traditional lerx designs

Ht6Bsxx.jpg

this is a fantastic shot of f-35 vortex generation capabilities

despite their thick section, looks like the chines ahead of the intake indeed are capable of generating their own vortices.

Lack of Vapor before was not the design, but the Operation Limits placed on yhe Airframe until it reached IOC and Specific Items fixed.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Somebody know what for on F-35A/C install four Luneburg lens. But on F-35B install only three. If you are remember on F-22 it's only one. Why so many on F-35?

Radar reflectors. you don't want to reveal the real radar cross section of the aircraft.

Radar reflectors. you don't want to reveal the real radar cross section of the aircraft.

Isn't the principle hope of the F-35 that its very small radar cross section means that it will avoid detection ?

Luneberg lenses are installed radar decoys to increase their effective radar cross sectional area - for instance in the ADM-141 TALD...

So these are devices specifically added to artificially increase the radar cross section of an aircraft specifically designed around the concept of a low radar cross section ?

Do you know if they're shroud-able ?

Surely they must be.

Otherwise it's like putting reflective tape on your black ninja suit so you don't get run over while sneaking across the road - which wouldn't sound like a 100% endorsement of the whole concept of stealth - we planned to hide, but we know we're going to be detected, so let's try to look like something else - something BIGGER and scarier...

Cheers.

Isn't the principle hope of the F-35 that its very small radar cross section means that it will avoid detection ?

Luneberg lenses are installed radar decoys to increase their effective radar cross sectional area - for instance in the ADM-141 TALD...

So these are devices specifically added to artificially increase the radar cross section of an aircraft specifically designed around the concept of a low radar cross section ?

Surely they must be.

Otherwise it's like putting reflective tape on your black ninja suit so you don't get run over while sneaking across the road - which wouldn't sound like a 100% endorsement of the whole concept of stealth - we planned to hide, but we know we're going to be detected, so let's try to look like something else - something BIGGER and scarier...

The point is to drown out the actual signature of the aircraft with the artificial one created by the reflectors in order to stop people from working out how the aircraft performs.

And of course they wouldn't have them installed when going into combat.

F-117 and F-22 carry radar reflectors during peace time. Not sure about the B-2.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Surely they must be.

:megalol: You do know they're completely removable right? :smilewink:

Re: "Stealth". It would be more accurate to say that it is there to make an aircraft undetectable at a certain range, detectable but untrackable closer in, trackable but untargetable closer still and targetable but nigh on "unhittable" closer than that. The synergy between friendly/onboard EW and very low RCS is particularly important here.

The sig reduction measures VLO fighters like this posess are part of a layered approach to breaking the enemy kill chain (in tandem with EW/ECM/EA), not just an attempt to hide from it completely.

Edited by Boogieman

We all know for what it neded (lens I mean). Interesting what for there four of them used. I suppose that only two are enough for upper and bottom hemisphere. But we see four - that is interesting...

Northrop made a wise solution to combine lens and navigation lights together. And when it necessity they take away inside wings.

Weird, we had several things like that on the F-117 and still needed reflectors. :dunno:

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

:megalol: You do know they're completely removable[/url] right? :smilewink:

Did I Know they were removable ?

No,

But I figured they must be

Do you know if they're shroud-able ? Surely they must be ...

Most days I don't get 10/10 on the morning quiz either...

Cheers.