Civilian Gazelle - Page 5 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 05-27-2018, 03:26 PM   #41
HogarthKramer

Why fly civilian in DCS? Well, absent the fact that many, many military pilots fly civilian-ish missions every day, the big fact is that DCS World is far superior to any, ANY alternative like x-plane or Prepar3d. Especially with helicopters. It doesn't have ATC of course, but the built-in ATC in the alternative is junk anyway. DCS VR is also better than the others.

It's an open world - people in it should try to be more open minded.
HogarthKramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:49 PM   #42
WildBillKelsoe
Veteran

AS-365 Panther

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.
WildBillKelsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 01:52 PM   #43
Teapot

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoYo View Post
No, thx, no any Cessna ect in Combat Sim. Better for FSX or Prepar3D only.
At least you should include Turbo Porter P6. Not all military operations are about dogfighting, ground-pounding or skirmishing and the P6 was used in the Australian Army early to mid 80's for a variety of roles including the insertion and pickup of recon patrols.

I'm totally disinterested in jets these days and won't be buying any more. Thank goodness for the Huey and the Mi8 but a P6 would be sweet ... so would a Dornier 228 or a Cessna 208.

Just pointing out that the mantra of "no Cessna's etc in a Combat sim" is not only historically inaccurate but pushes the idea of DCS from a serious past-time to simulate real world strategy into a simplified air quake game albeit with complex avionics.

P.S. Just an observation; IMO the oft quoted reference on this thread of how X-Plane is a sub-optimal sim is out of touch with current reality ... ppl may not prefer it over others, that is fine but it's patently not ridiculous as a platform. I would still prefer the open worldness of XP or P3D (their terrain is graphically superior imo) within the context of the DCS flight & systems modelling and mission development universe.
Wishlist Modules - A variety of utility aircraft to better reflect the support role. E.g. Flying the Hornet ... big yawn ... flying a Caribou on a beer run to Singapore? Count me in. Extracting a Recon Patrol from a hastily prepared landing strip at a random 6 figure grid reference? Now yer talking!

Last edited by Teapot; 06-02-2018 at 06:01 AM.
Teapot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 01:41 AM   #44
ben1101

I'd personally be happy if they added sling load capability.

IMO, the flight model and mag trim implementation in the Gaz is a mess so I don't really enjoy flying it. I have actually asked for a refund towards another module but was denied. I wish Belsimtek could re do the FM (not to go on a tangent)

I totally agree that DCS is far superior to other sims like X-plane in scenery and VR performance. The argument about no civ in combat sims is redundant as far as the utility helicopters go due to the fact they are so versatile.

Last edited by ben1101; 05-30-2018 at 01:45 AM.
ben1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 09:46 PM   #45
FragBum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben1101 View Post
I'd personally be happy if they added sling load capability.

IMO, the flight model and mag trim implementation in the Gaz is a mess so I don't really enjoy flying it. I have actually asked for a refund towards another module but was denied. I wish Belsimtek could re do the FM (not to go on a tangent)

I totally agree that DCS is far superior to other sims like X-plane in scenery and VR performance. The argument about no civ in combat sims is redundant as far as the utility helicopters go due to the fact they are so versatile.
Usually when people say the Gazelle FM is bad it's because they can't fly it or they do not have decent controls, I'd be interested in what you think is wrong with the Gazelle flight model?

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors.
FragBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 09:01 AM   #46
ben1101

Hi FragBum,

I don't want to go OT but I do have a lot of experience flying helicopters both full size and simulated (X-Plane helicopters and DCS) especially relating to training via simulators. To sum up how I feel about the Gaz is it doesn't feel like a dynamic flight model at all, the joystick response feels wrong in almost an on off way no matter what curves I run and the FFB mechanism doesn't work at all. I have used both G940 and MSFFB2 joysticks that are modified to emulate helicopter controls and VR. I fly DCS for the helicopter's, and I have spent a lot of time trying different settings with this aircraft and it always feels wrong. It really spoils the great work they have done otherwise IMO.

Belsimtek on the other hand have done a brilliant job and I really hope the B0105 has the FM done right when it comes out.

Hope this doesn't piss anyone off.
Old 06-02-2018, 01:27 AM   #47
FragBum

No not at all, I'm keen to find out as much as I can. Appreciate the reply.

BTW I think a door-less civi Gazelle would be the bees knees for cat herding.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors.
FragBum is offline   Reply With Quote