Waring: Rehashing old ideas. LanceR

yoshama

I was trying out the new gun sights on the F-16 and FA-18 this past weekend with some one on one with the AI Mig-21 and just had to swap roles for a bit and fly the old bird again. It's really fun to peg M .8 for best rate and .3 for best radius and swing around on all the american fighters from F-14 to FA18. The capabilities are there as a nimble little interceptor. Those AIM9Xs really put a damper on that fun. I just wish I had that helmet mounted cueing system and BVR missiles like the R27/R77. It really makes me want to buy 3D max and make my own LanceR cockpit with updated weapons and sytems, but I really don't have the time or money to buy the license.

Part of the draw of the BIS as well is the feeling of something like knifing a noob in CS when you gun/IR missile an unsuspecting F15 online. (Haven't played CS in a decade) It's tons of fun and really gets you immersed in the game to develop the tactics/strategies that best fit the BIS. I like how it forces you to think well outside of the cockpit to what's going on SA wise. Part of me want's a LanceR and part of me wants to just keep going with the old school R3Rs and K13s.

TL: DR, I love this plane and i'm bi-variant curious. Enjoy the attached reference for more lust.

If I were a rich man...:pilotfly:

PS. Something seems off with the body lift mentioned in this article. The DCS module seems to just pancake when you get to the referenced AoAs like the optimistic 30-40 degrees. Page 7 shows a "body lift stall" at 39 degrees or so as if the plane can keep pulling past the wing rocking wing stall. I don't know if there's a way to check that out and see if the body lift thing works in DCS. I know the concept and stuff to make that work in analysis, but I don't know the programming language to determine the lift forces in DCS.

MAKING THE BEST OF MiG-21 w.pdf

Edited by yoshama

Best Complement: "You fly like a Psychotic 5 year old" :joystick:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Be sure to understand how to interpret some of these figures. "Controllable at 115 KIAS" doesn't mean you're fit to fight. You'll be at ~30 degrees AoA and that isn't an AoA you want to stay at for long in the Fishbed.

Edited by MiG21bisFishbedL

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

• 1 month later...

Eh, I'd disagree on the above. With emergency burner, some discipline, and especially a stage of flap out, you can hold 30 indicated pretty comfortably. You'll be slow and vulnerable to attack from another enemy, but your average F-5 driver starts panicking when the plane he thinks can only go fast is cutting inside his turns and happily staying airborne as he's approaching a stall himself.

Thanks for the PDF, seems an interesting read :thumbup:

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

That's why it's only viable either against lone enemies, or groups of enemies who are too busy worrying about their own tail to offer mutual protection.

There's a big distinction between things that are risky for tactical reasons and ones which are risky because the aircraft will try and kill you. A lot of people mix these up and then scratch their heads when a plane they thought was incapable of turning cuts inside their circle and deletes them.