Polychop Simulations OH-58D Kiowa

I remember watching videos mid-2020 of this thing. What happened? I get the "part time" thing, but those videos and streams were of a nearly complete project.

Before anyone says "software" - that's my job so I know how that works.

Did they go on holiday or something? This extreme delay of nearly 3 years is long enough to have started from scratch. Twice. I understand the FM problems with the Gazelle (I have it) but I'm left questioning if they can actually do this.

• Like 3

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

At the time Casmo and Barundus put out the introduction videos of the Kiowa Warrior, it looked really close to release. But then the lead designer had a medical incident and was put off from work on the project for long time.

Luckily the lead designer could recover after a long time. Then Polychop decided to add two more variants of the Kiowa of different eras for the release, what is quite unique for a DCS module. 

Edited by Rosebud47
  • Like 7

F-14b Tomcat   /   AV-8B Harrier   /   F-16C Viper  /   KA-50 Black Shark   /   Mi-24 Hind   /   MiG-21bis   

In addition to the delay and the extra variants, I can't help but speculate that since (at least IMO) the standard of quality for DCS modules has increased since 2020, meeting it might take some unforeseen refactoring / polishing / tuning.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I remember correctly, I used the kiowa to distribute targets to AH 64's in "Janes longbow" back in the day. That alone should bring new challenges.

• Like 3

ASUS ROG Strix B550-E GAMING - PNY GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming VERTO EPIC-X  - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 64Gb RAM - 2x2Tb M2 - Win11 - HP Reverb g2 - Oculus Quest 2 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder - 2X Thrustmaster MFD Cougar

1 hour ago, ST0RM said:

At this point, we dont even know if the Kiowa in any state, is alive. 

Do we even know if Polychop did acquire the license by Bell? 😬

Edited by D4n
DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

3 hours ago, D4n said:

Do we even know if Polychop did acquire the license by Bell?

I know people get bored waiting for the Kiowa but why make things up when the answer is in the Kiowa FAQ from 3 years ago ?

On 12/11/2019 at 11:31 PM, Polychop Simulations said:

Bell Textron granted us a product specific license for the OH-58D Kiowa Warrior for commercial use, which means we were given permission to recreate the helicopter for game or entertainment purposes. Without this license a module for the DCS World environment would not be possible.

Edited by Ramsay
  • Like 4

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Paladin1cd said:

It’s dead Jim. If they aren’t answering that’s an answer isn’t it? 

Damn it, Bones, you're a doctor. You know that pain and guilt can't be taken away with a wave of a magic wand. They're the things we carry with us, the things that make us who we are.

• Like 2

So it seems like in the past few years, there have been headaches for dev teams and ED, with how things have been. And after having thought of it, ED has made some policy changes to reflect the current reality.

An example might be the Kiowa PC project itself: for some time now, there's very little we the public can see as far as screens and dev progress details. Yet  in the first year, the Kiowa project had lots of nice screens, many detailed streams showing entire mission profiles. And then it stopped.

So why did the project continue but the screens and streams stop?  That'll be for PC to decide about sharing. They DID tell us about personal life issues, and medical issues... real world that hurts projects of all kinds, especially ones with just handfuls of people involved.

It would seem that ED may well be concerned about the greater community getting all this hype built up, whipped up into a frenzy... only to then be acting all desperate, pleading begging for screens and updates... junkies wanting that next "hit", suffering a mild form of withdrawal.

Maybe the new strategy is: the minute ED approves of a module's development for DCS, the announcement is made so that others don't duplicate (this was laid out by an ED moderator last month), show off a few screens showing us what that might look like, but after that, so silent or mostly silent, no idea of timeline or estimated release date. Spark interest, gauge that interest from forum posts, but then don't build massive hype, let people get on with their lives, enjoy the modules you have. Then, when ED is happy with progress, and sees the project finishing up, has met quality control tests, and looks to be soon ready for release or early access... then and only then will they be allowed to release 200 screens, multiple videos, tutorials and so on. Enlist DCS focused "influencers" to promote or review the new module, maybe make tutorials themselves.

Or something sorta maybe vaguely a bit like that.

As opposed to watching streams of doing full mission profiles... and then silence. For months at a time. Just a few words "yep, still working on it". 

We as consumers ought to have a little more patience ourselves too, often real world can't match the timelines we would like... I mean, this isn't EA putting out yet another annual sports game for console, with where the budget for marketing swag is many times larger than the entire dev budget for a DCS module... with literal armies of humans to make it all on a super-tight timeline. Ultimately we need to manage our expectations in terms of time required.

This notion of "silence = dead" has happened MANY times now for the PC Kiowa project. And each time, after a week or two of no response, people conclude it's dead. And then someone says they heard from one of the devs that it's still being worked on. 

Edited by Rick50
  • Like 7

On 10/2/2022 at 4:49 PM, Paladin1cd said:

amen Devil 505, and I hope I’m wrong

LOL! You cannot beat the Original Star Trek.  Back when people knew how to write a script and convey emotion.  Now Polychop needs to pull my emotional strings and release the Kiowa so Darkhorse 1-6 can start Scouting for the Apaches.

To translate the posted discord channel information, the information between the lines: with Kinkku PC might have a programmer now, with the crucial ability to do a helicopter flight model. For the first time in 8 years. Oh man...

• Like 3

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

On 10/8/2022 at 2:05 PM, PickleMonster said:

You're like a broken record.

If there is a broken record, it's the Gazelle module.

• Like 3

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, OzDeaDMeaT said:

It is coming up to 3 years since this was announced. Can we get a definitive update please ED?

A definitive update of what? It's being worked on. They don't have a release date. That's it.

The F15E guys have been waiting over a decade for a release date and they still don't have one...

• Like 3