Performance goes to heck when crowded

Hi all, I am trying to find a sweet spot for my graphics settings. I can get about 50fps...as long as there are few other aircraft or ground vehicles in the game. Once the map gets crowded my performance can drop to an unusable 15fps. Forget multiplayer for the same reason. What is the best way to improve performance with a crowded map? I'm happy with 30fps. Here are my specs:

Intel i7 - 5930k @ 3.5Ghz

32Gb RAM

RTX 2080

7200RPM SATA drive (I know)

I don't think the slow HDD is affecting performance with crowded maps but please correct me if I'm wrong. I also haven't heard of any improvements beyond 32GB of RAM and the video card is on the higher end. Processor too slow? Some setting I should have disabled? I would very much appreciate any advice, thanks!

Myself I have fps complications, but I recommend the graphics settings:

Visibility – max high

MSAA - max 2x

Motion blur – off

Shadows – medium

SSAA – off

SSLR – off

Shadows terrain objects – flat

Global lighting cockpit – off

🖥️MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4, Kingston 3600 MHz 64 Gb, i5 12600K, Gigabyte RTX 4090, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus,🕹️VKB NXT Premium.

That is what I find strange, I can max out most settings except SSAA amd SSLR and get better than 30 fps, but even with everything set to medium I still get 15-20fps at best when the map is crowded.
There something wrong with the latest update. I have the same issue, didn't before.

You are correct. M2/SSD will only help with the load times.

I'm almost your specs. CPU oc to 3.8, 32Gigs, 2xTitans.

Turned off, motion blur etc, shadows, global lighting. All else high or med. Tested one by one.

One thing that actually helped my FPSs AND better graphics. Turn off ALL MSA, SSAA and the like, and configure in Nvidia Control Panel instead.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

am starting to suspect its black exhaust smoke bug from the f18s causing a huge frame loss in multiplayer,

i noticed this during f18s taxing and carrier landings frames dipped into single digits.

Not sure, as even static object F/A-18's in single player cause quite an FPS drop.

The loss of FPS during crowded areas is expected but it seems to be something that makes it so much bigger, it may be the occlussion culling thing that renders everything irrespective if it's being blocked or not, I was about to post new tests but I took another thing first I had been working on about threading earlier.

That may mean it's also rendering the backsides and internal parts of the aircraft (gears), that is one theory.

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

Sorry but it is not possible, ED should investigate this type of problem. Here we are talking about people who have an advanced PC and suffer from performance problems. Absurd!

Firma DCS.png

CPU: 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700K   3.60 GHz - DDR4 64,0 GB - MSI RTX3080ti - Win 11 64bit

It's still worth to move to SSD, regardless of your primary issue.

You not only load "once" and go flying forever, there are constant reloads of terrain and other objects that will benefit greatly from a SSD. It wont boost your fps but will for sure help to make it smoother.

I hate to work/repair machines with HDD meanwhile, it takes ages for everything. I should charge more for fixing a HDD based machine, no kidding :D

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I have been doing some testing in open beta the last few days as something is going on for sure, and I'm trying to nail down what my upgrade path should be for this game when I decide to do it...won't be now as the CDN $ has dropped a lot due to the oil prices, and I feel 'icky' if I don't get a deal on something ;).

I'm in Open Beta, F18, free flight Nevada, I take the same route dropping low over vegas each time. I play in 1440p, Freesync monitor, 75Hz, fps capped at 72 in Nvidia Control Panel. I have mostly high settings, MSAA x2, 'enhance application and MFAA on in control panel. I run Afterburner to test.

My system is not stupid expensive, but it's worked well for me: Win 10, i5 4670k@4.5GHz, EVGA GTX 1070, 16GB 1866 HyperX RAM, install on SSD (open and stable versions, different drives). I use Trackhat for head tracking.

I get 72 fps when the flight starts and it levels off around 65-68 until I start to get near Vegas as I drop to about 1000 ft. At a certain point (seems like the same point to me) the fps drops to 39 and then to about 36 at 500 ft over the city and doesn't recover, even when I go back to altitude, like it's 'stuck'.

My CPU usage never tops 63% (at 4500MHz), GPU never goes above 75%, RAM usage about 10GB. These stay relatively consistent no matter what settings I change.

I've dropped MSAA to off, cockpit textures to 512 (from 1024 every frame), Shadows to medium and low (from high), visibility from Ultra down to medium, and even tried dropping my resolution to 1080p (doesn't look great with a 32" monitor, although it wasn't as bad as I expected). I only drop a single setting at once and re-test, then change it back and try something else.

I saw zero change in my FPS down low. The only change was an increase to a steady 72fps up high, but the aliasing is terrible with MSAA turned off. I get a slight but perceptible stutter on the terrain going by that I now see is caused by my Freesync switching off under 45 fps...at least I know it's working. There is no stuttering whatsoever until it drops below 45.

So, what's going on here? From the usage it doesn't appear to be my CPU or GPU being limited, although I suspect dropping a 2070 super of 5700XT in would bump things up significantly. I've seen big performance gains in benchmarks of games that use Vulkan with AMD cards which is where I would lean if DCS gets Vulkan support.

Other than that is this just bad open beta performance? I have two installs so I'm also going to try this on stable.

Edited by aleader

"I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I don't want to answer." - Michael Bluth