Mission Editor - Hot Tips

MadTommy

But it should work with 98 AGL. Never had issues with that.

Strange that it stops on 98 AGL everywhere on the map but I shall try :)

-royphsle

F-16C:thumbup:

i7-4790 CPU 3.60GHz | 16 GB RAM | MSI GTX-960 Gaming 4GB | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

If you're laying out waypoints in the ME and one of them is meant to be an exact target point, set its altitude to 0 MSL and then click your mouse outside the altitude box. It should then change automatically to the MSL altitude of that location (which will be 0 AGL)

Pretty sure the 98' AGL is the lowest absolute altitude above the ground you can set for a waypoint using the AGL assignment box.

Edited by Emmy

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

• 2 weeks later...
If you're laying out waypoints in the ME and one of them is meant to be an exact target point, set its altitude to 0 MSL and then click your mouse outside the altitude box. It should then change automatically to the MSL altitude of that location (which will be 0 AGL)

I have tried it and it works, but its strange that you can not select a target point in type waypoints with automatic 0 AGL! It would have been a lot easier!

-royphsle

F-16C:thumbup:

i7-4790 CPU 3.60GHz | 16 GB RAM | MSI GTX-960 Gaming 4GB | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

• 1 month later...

@Habu - Those are the DETECTION classes. ;-)

How to keep mission in daylight hours, or night hours if desired:

Use a reload mission trigger that works off the mission start time.

So if your mission starts at 0630 and it gets dark at 1830 that day, you have 12 hours (43200 seconds).

At 43000 (or desired time) fire a trigger that warns everyone of mission restart. Then at 43200, you simply use a load mission trigger.

The key here is to build the interval from your mission start time which is constant, not the actual time of day which varies based on when you start the mission.

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Have fun. Don't suck. Kill bad guys. 👍

https://discord.gg/blacksharkden/

• 2 weeks later...
How create JTAC mission with AI aicraft?

So I have Humwe (playable) I'm targeting with laser the target and I want the plane to throw bombs / missiles on my target. What mus i set at airplane (not playable, will AI)?

and why does the Russian technique have no "FAC" options for JTAC? And why any vehicle have not radio setting for JTAC?

How create JTAC mission with AI aicraft?

So I have Humwe (playable) I'm targeting with laser the target and I want the plane to throw bombs / missiles on my target. What mus i set at airplane (not playable, will AI)?

I do not believe AI aircraft know how to use LGBs currently. Best method is Advanced Waypoint Options bomb a point on the ground set at least 15 miles from the target so AI have space to maneuver.

• 3 months later...
Is there a tutorial out there for the use of Flags? I think I understand the use of triggers and zones but the Flags are a total mystery to me.:book:

I hear you man. It's an information overload and a nightmare to me.

The more I look into flags, the more confused I get.

Luckily I know people who do understand it all and already create great missions ... so I don't have to. I gave up after DCS 1.2.

SnowTiger:joystick:

• 1 month later...

Silly question...

Given the age of this particular thread - are the tips/tricks listed still valid under the 2.5.5 editor? Thanks

Windows 10 Pro | i5-8600K | MSI Tomahawk Z370 | 48GB DDR4-3000 A-DATA (LED) | EVGA Superclocked 2 GTX 1080 8GB DDR5 | 256GB M.2 NVe A-DATA | 512GB M.2 NVe A-DATA | HP Omen 32" 2560x1440 | Thrustmaster Warthog, CH Pedals Oculus Rift S VR

• 4 weeks later...

Editing Labels To Be the Same Colour

My issue.... It's hard to spot aircraft in DCS with my setup, but using labels makes it too easy.

My solution? Use the dot labels, but make it so that friendly and hostile units appear to be the SAME colour. Helps with the spotting, but you still have to get close to visually ID them.

Thanks for everyone on the forums here that showed me how to do this, I thought I'd put it into one thread for reference.

This also may not be the most efficient way to do it, but it does work for me for now.

STEP 1: Find your Labels.lua file and make a copy of it. You'll find it at your: C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Config\View

Avw5TYZ.jpg

STEP 2: Paste that copied file into a temporary directory, inside a file structure like this.... TempDirectory\Config\View (note the Config and View folders have capital C and V to start)

0KfDw3V.jpg

STEP 3: Edit the Labels.lua file (the copy that you added to the temporary directory) with the following changes to change the type of labels that you'll see, and the colour of the labels you wish to see.

L1MfYNB.jpg

vYm2gDV.jpg

(the RGB values I've put in above will result in a soft brown label colour. Change these to whatever you'd like. You can use this little tool to help: https://www.google.com/search?q=color+picker)

Save this edited file.

STEP 4: Copy your mission .miz file into your temporary directory like so....

uP2gM6d.jpg

STEP 5: Open your .miz file with WinRar... Now, copy your Config folder from your temp folder directly into the Winrar window..

3NtWuNx.jpg

STEP 6 You'll get a little warning dialogue that pops up asking how you want to save it... I've found I have to leave every thing the same, if I rename the file here it won't work for me (if you can help me get around this, please do)

Anyway, just click save

chrZBlL.jpg

And you'll note the miz file size has grown by 2 bytes or so.

RVFkAzi.jpg

STEP 7: Now, I rename this modified file, copy it back into where ever I keep my mission files. Now I've got labels, but they're all the same colour.

Edited by Sedlo

• 8 months later...

I have a suggestion for DCS: Why not divide {planes/Vehicles/Assets} into ERAs IE If you want to make a mission for WW2 then we can easily find vehicles, planes, building for the era only , instead of having to go through all planes, vehicles, buildings, weapons etc that do not relate to the ERA we are designing for?

I have a suggestion for DCS: Why not divide {planes/Vehicles/Assets} into ERAs IE If you want to make a mission for WW2 then we can easily find vehicles, planes, building for the era only , instead of having to go through all planes, vehicles, buildings, weapons etc that do not relate to the ERA we are designing for?

No. You did not think this through.

Soviet inventory from 50's, in use today. Ethiopian Sabres were alongside Mustangs at the start of the Ogaden war in the 70's, that ended in a Mig21 vs F-5 fight, but apart from many examples like that, DCS is built as a sandbox and the entire point of a sandbox is that if you want to have F-14's meeting Japanese zeros in the Bermuda triangle because you liked the film, why should someone that can't scan down a list of planes in the ME stop you?

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

No. You did not think this through.

I think you are missing BigDawgCleveland's point.

I think all he's suggesting is having the assets Sorted makes them much easier to find. It would not prevent different era aircraft from flying with or against each other. It simply makes each of them easier to find without having to go through a giant list of things that were NOT used at the same time.

Sorted by Country and then by Era/Year would make the ME that much easier to use regardless the type of mission desired.

At least that's my impression of his point.

SnowTiger:joystick:

I think you are missing BigDawgCleveland's point.

I think all he's suggesting is having the assets Sorted makes them much easier to find. It would not prevent different era aircraft from flying with or against each other. It simply makes each of them easier to find without having to go through a giant list of things that were NOT used at the same time.

Sorted by Country and then by Era/Year would make the ME that much easier to use regardless the type of mission desired.

At least that's my impression of his point.

Still doesn't work even with the added inference on his post.

The assets are currently already sorted by country, then task/role for airplanes (if it's an airplane), then for ground units by air defence, artillery, unarmed, missiles etc etc, then they are sorted alphabetically.

Any combination of filter using date of manufacture doesn't work. First example that came to mind was "Filter units by modern, post 2000" You get a JF-17 and a Charlie Hornet Lot20. That's it. OK then set the date filter to post 1993. Now you have some more, but hold on, where are the Soviet air defences? You would have to set a date filter back to 1959 to get a AAA ZSU-23, which is still commonly in use today. Using my Ogaden crisis example where they began with Sabre's and Mustangs.... what date era is that? 1945? 1960. 1973? What date would a Lee Enfield rifle be from? What equipment would an insurgent force carry? Consider that modern armies sell on their old stuff to 3rd world nations, who inevitably re-use it to kill their neighbours (that's why the US and the UK are so rich by the way) so... Pattons... just saw them on TV in Turkey. T-62... everywhere. T-72... jeesh is it actually old? ZSU's, in fact, lets just take everything Soviet manufactured and handed out for free in 1993. It's a waste of time to filter by date. Often decent calibre guns last a long long time. Soviet GRAD MLRS? It's practically a multiple firework launcher, still used in Ukrainian annexation along side ZSU's but manufactured long before we were born.

The units in the world today couldn't give two hoots about a date filter. Some were very short lived, some lasted 50 years and over. None of them abided by any of the same rules and thus any attempt at ordering them by date would be futile, and any attempt at actually filtering them to not show would exclude significant assets that coexist in the same timeframe but were built decades apart.

I'd suggest that the folks suggesting dates don't actually know when things appeared or recognise any of the names. If you would just say that then your answer would be a 2D picture at the top of the unit and you could say, "ahh, that's old stuff, I think, i wont have it".

Edited by Pikey

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Hello,

I need a little help with ships in single player missions.

I placed a cargo ship near Sotchi harbour and set up some waypoints but it didn't move in the mission.

A second Molniya Class ship spawned 1,5km off coast moved as expected.

Isn't it possible to let ships start at or near harbours / docks?

Is there a defined distance the ship needs to be away from the coastline?

Thanks

Jens