Realistic head position in cockpit (where I can still see the HUD properly)? VR

Buckeye

Can someone please, please, pleaaaase help me to achieve a realistic head position/camera view, where I can still see the HUD properly? When I move the default camera back far enough, I can't see the HUD properly. When I then move my head up or down, it's like I have a 12 inch torso and the stick/grip is at my neck level. What the hell is wrong with the cockpit view?! :joystick:

The Harrier does this perfectly, the Warthog is by far the worst I've seen (I don't own every module)

I am in VR, if that is useful to know..so no TrackIR lean back and set the head position voodoo, please.

Please help, if you can. Thank you kindly in advance :thumbup:

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

The best I can recommend is turning on the option in settings for Save Angel Views, move your head around and do RAlt+Numpad0.

Appreciate the suggestion. I did all of that, moved the seat up and down (which helped but made the view of where I was sitting within the cockpit weird...i.e. like I had a 6 inch torso sitting on the seat). No matter what combination I tried it's impossible to get the view to a realistic point (looking out of the cockpit through the HUD), where you're also sitting in the cockpit in a realistic position.

I'm assuming this is just a known/common issue that's not been fixed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Appreciate the suggestion. I did all of that, moved the seat up and down (which helped but made the view of where I was sitting within the cockpit weird...i.e. like I had a 6 inch torso sitting on the seat). No matter what combination I tried it's impossible to get the view to a realistic point (looking out of the cockpit through the HUD), where you're also sitting in the cockpit in a realistic position.

I'm assuming this is just a known/common issue that's not been fixed?

Some cocpits are not done for VR yet, A10C etc are not good. Scale is wrong , thats why you dont get your head in natural position.

They are made 2D use.

Harrier and su 27 pits are perfect when it comes to VR , everything is spot on scale :)

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Some cocpits are not done for VR yet, A10C etc are not good. Scale is wrong , thats why you dont get your head in natural position.

They are made 2D use.

Harrier and su 27 pits are perfect when it comes to VR , everything is spot on scale :)

VR and TrackIR didn't really differential from each other. Other just has two cameras instead one. And world scale (cockpit is one, world is other) are independent from cameras position but you adjust it via field of view for camera and then separation of cameras to change world size.

And A-10 is having difficulties with any 3/6-DOF systems then static camera positions.

Likely because A-10 seems to be a such pain in reality.

--

I usually post from my phone so please excuse any typos, inappropriate punctuation and capitalization, missing words and general lack of cohesion and sense in my posts.....

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

VR and TrackIR didn't really differential from each other. Other just has two cameras instead one. And world scale (cockpit is one, world is other) are independent from cameras position but you adjust it via field of view for camera and then separation of cameras to change world size.

And A-10 is having difficulties with any 3/6-DOF systems then static camera positions.

Likely because A-10 seems to be a such pain in reality.

--

I usually post from my phone so please excuse any typos, inappropriate punctuation and capitalization, missing words and general lack of cohesion and sense in my posts.....

Nope, cocpits are different quality. VR makes those errors easily visible. Thats why its pain in some planes.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nope, cocpits are different quality. VR makes those errors easily visible. Thats why its pain in some planes.

Sorry but physics can't be denied.

Textures and 3D modeling ate other discussion about virtual cameras positioning.

Unless you talk about coded function where ie. HUD projection is set to move depending where camera is located, so you are always chasing it instead it staying still.

--

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I might tinker with the lua for a few minutes. If I don't make any quick progress I'm just going to put the A-10 back on the shelf and circle back to learn it another time...once the VR cockpit view issue is resolved. I've done this same cycle before of trying to get the cockpit view to feel right, getting tired of spinning my wheels, and going back to other modules.

It's so odd to me that the current "flagship module" wouldn't already be corrected for this, when many other planes have been.

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

You can move your default head position around with rshift-rctrl-numpad 2,8,4,6 then save the rctrl num0.

You will find, either way, that there is no way to sit back in the cockpit AND see the entire hud. Choose one or the other.

Scale is wrong

In that case your IPD distance (under VR settings) is probably configured wrong. The interpupillary distance refers to the eyes of the in-game character, not your own eyes.

Play with the values until the cockpit scale feels natural, then everything will be fine. I did that and my A-10 feels good in VR.

As others have already said, the default head position can easily be changed. Analogously can the default zoom be adjusted.

Edited by Zabuza

In that case your IPD distance (under VR settings) is probably configured wrong. The interpupillary distance refers to the eyes of the in-game character, not your own eyes.

Play with the values until the cockpit scale feels natural, then everything will be fine. I did that and my A-10 feels good in VR.

As others have already said, the default head position can easily be changed. Analogously can the default zoom be adjusted.

The default head position can easily be changed, yes, but no matter movements you make with that you're never able to sit back far enough/high enough and still see the HUD properly (in terms of positioning and scale).

I have a center mounted stick with a throttle mounted to my left, in true-to-life measurements and positioning...and sitting from my chair, the virtual world can never be mirrored to match this 1:1 (as it easily can be in the Harrier or Flanker). That is what my original question was -- how to achieve this -- and the reason for this thread...and it appears the answer is "It can't be done currently".

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

I been flying the A10C for 8 months for about 5 hours a day also in VR. After lots of experimenting I have found that the default position where I am close to the hud

is great .f I need to adjust radios or lights I just slide back using the camera position keys. Then when done I say "center" and Voice Attack repositions me back to the default position.

Edited by lasvideo

Win 10 I7 6700K @ 4.0 GHZ. 16 gig memory GTX 1070 SSD

I play a10c in VR and I think I've found a good head position.

I have to bow a little to see the upper part of the HUD, but I've read that it is so also IRL.

I find it difficult to believe that HUD in a A-10 would be such that you can't see it normally sitting or at once.

--

I been flying the A10C for 8 months for about 5 hours a day also in VR. After lots of experimenting I have found that the default position where I am close to the hud

is great .f I need to adjust radios or lights I just slide back using the camera position keys. Then when done I say "center" and Voice Attack repositions me back to the default position.

When I reach for a MFD in my simpit, it should be where the MFD appears in my VR headset.

When I reach for the stick in my simpit, it should be where the stick appears in my VR headset.

When I reach for the throttle in my simpit, it should be where the throttle appears in my VR headset.

I'm in VR, I shouldn't have to use the camera position keys to slide my head back while I'm flying...

I've built my simpit this way for a reason, to "feel" as real as possible...it increases immersion.

Having a cockpit camera position that has my face hugged up to the HUD might be great for some, but it's not great for me...nor will it ever be. It should be fixed to work properly like the Harrier's.

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

The A-10C is an older module and I believe the problem is possibly to much accuracy in the implementation. The module was built before VR has come right into it and to make pre design allowances for it, works very well considering...

I'm not sure what the view is like on the IRL A10 and where your head needs to be to see the HUD, all the HUD etc?

From the videos and pics it looks like you need to have your head forward some?

I use a high back office chair and it seems to work OK, I need to shift my head off the headrest for the HUD to be usable etc.

attachment.php?attachmentid=181506&stc=1&d=1521839295

attachment.php?attachmentid=181507&stc=1&d=1521839295

This possibly needs a little tweak for VR, how long would that take? ED's a little busy right now LOL, there always busy :cry:

Perhaps when they get some free time they could have a play with it LOL.

I don't use the HUD all that much, what do you have trouble using the HUD for Buckeye? I mostly only use it for the Gun, flight path marker when landing and to throw a quick mark point down occasionally.

I'm trying to use the steam gauges more and do

and use the MFD's etc

You never know, it may get tweaked down the track utilizing some of the new VR/Screen HUD technology built for the F/A18, like the CEO where I work, he always says, it's just drag and drop or copy and paste right:D

A-10C_VR_F.thumb.jpg.64b17b86ed1acf87129fc124ee6cc62f.jpg

A-10C_VR_B.thumb.jpg.38f06ea4a7df04fefaea916aa29a74e4.jpg

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

The default head position in the A-10C is wrong, plain and simple. If you look straight down you see that the viewpoint is hovering just above the control stick, instead of being close to the headrest. The hud is sized to match that wrong head position, so when you move back where your head should be, parts of the hud are cut off. As far as I see, the A-10 is the only module with this problem.

I don't think ED ever acknowledged the issue, so I doubt it'll ever get fixed.

Either play with the default view (which sucks), or move back and raise the seat till you can see the compass at the bottom of the hud, and accept that you loose the top part of the hud.

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

They are made 2D use.

The A-10C cockpit is to scale, the viewpoint though is forward of where it should be because it was made originally for screens.

id like to see it changed as well, will ping the devs and see whats up.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

The A-10C cockpit is to scale, the viewpoint though is forward of where it should be because it was made originally for screens.

Appreciate it, Skate!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

Thank you !!!

:)

Would make lots or VR users happy.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

When I reach for a MFD in my simpit, it should be where the MFD appears in my VR headset.

When I reach for the stick in my simpit, it should be where the stick appears in my VR headset.

When I reach for the throttle in my simpit, it should be where the throttle appears in my VR headset.

I'm in VR, I shouldn't have to use the camera position keys to slide my head back while I'm flying...

I've built my simpit this way for a reason, to "feel" as real as possible...it increases immersion.

Having a cockpit camera position that has my face hugged up to the HUD might be great for some, but it's not great for me...nor will it ever be. It should be fixed to work properly like the Harrier's.

I too have everything you have with the substitution of your MFD for landing gear handle, canopy switch panel, complete electrical panel, warning test button / stab aug panel and fuel panel.

Everything is located in the correct positions and everything appears to be in the correct place, ones hand falls naturally in the vicinity of every switch as seen in VR.

Of course you have to feel about a little to ensure you have the correct switch when a row of closely placed switches is being used, merely because you cannot see your actual hand to fine tune the placement of your finger.

When spawning in the cockpit, my head height is essentially right, but too far forward and I have bound camera rearwards to the redundant pinky lever on the front of my warthog stick. I just move the camera back until the ILS radio is at my hip and this gives great positioning.

Have you tried pressing num 5 when in the GUI, seated normally, to make sure DCS has a solid lock on your headset before entering the mission?

Altering camera placement should alter your relationship with the seat cushion too. Are you sure you are moving the camera, not the view? Camera position is independent of cockpit, view is tied to position of camera and its relationship is thus tied to the cockpit as an adjustable point, say above the center of the seat cushion.

So if you are too close to the seat, then you need to raise the camera as opposed to view.

Other thing, have you tried resetting sensor position in Oculus Home? (Assuming you are using Rift). Even a tiny displacement of camera position from that set can cause all sorts of gremlins.

As for the HUD, I recall some real life A10 pilot (or Hog maintenance crew chief, of which a couple use Hoggit), doing an AMA, saying that in the real life Hog, you have to move your head around to see certain aspects of the HUD, you cannot see it all at once, as someone touched on earlier in this thread. So the HUD as it appears in VR is entirely realistic it seems.

Other modules also do not have exact camera positioning, which becomes obvious when the pilot body is enabled. The Huey and the F86 spring to mind, both of which have the camera too far rearwards and you have to move forward over the neck.

Yes you should not have to move the camera in an ideal world, but its no biggy if you have dedicated binds to it. Fine tuning position takes maybe five seconds tops. Faster than strapping in and adjusting the seat in the real hog.

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

I too have everything you have with the substitution of your MFD for landing gear handle, canopy switch panel, complete electrical panel, warning test button / stab aug panel and fuel panel.

Everything is located in the correct positions and everything appears to be in the correct place, ones hand falls naturally in the vicinity of every switch as seen in VR.

Of course you have to feel about a little to ensure you have the correct switch when a row of closely placed switches is being used, merely because you cannot see your actual hand to fine tune the placement of your finger.

When spawning in the cockpit, my head height is essentially right, but too far forward and I have bound camera rearwards to the redundant pinky lever on the front of my warthog stick. I just move the camera back until the ILS radio is at my hip and this gives great positioning.

Have you tried pressing num 5 when in the GUI, seated normally, to make sure DCS has a solid lock on your headset before entering the mission?

Altering camera placement should alter your relationship with the seat cushion too. Are you sure you are moving the camera, not the view? Camera position is independent of cockpit, view is tied to position of camera and its relationship is thus tied to the cockpit as an adjustable point, say above the center of the seat cushion.

So if you are too close to the seat, then you need to raise the camera as opposed to view.

Other thing, have you tried resetting sensor position in Oculus Home? (Assuming you are using Rift). Even a tiny displacement of camera position from that set can cause all sorts of gremlins.

As for the HUD, I recall some real life A10 pilot (or Hog maintenance crew chief, of which a couple use Hoggit), doing an AMA, saying that in the real life Hog, you have to move your head around to see certain aspects of the HUD, you cannot see it all at once, as someone touched on earlier in this thread. So the HUD as it appears in VR is entirely realistic it seems.

Other modules also do not have exact camera positioning, which becomes obvious when the pilot body is enabled. The Huey and the F86 spring to mind, both of which have the camera too far rearwards and you have to move forward over the neck.

Yes you should not have to move the camera in an ideal world, but its no biggy if you have dedicated binds to it. Fine tuning position takes maybe five seconds tops. Faster than strapping in and adjusting the seat in the real hog.

Can you post (or PM me) your .lua code for the cockpit view for your A-10C? I'll paste that in to mine and give it a shot.

I've been shifting camera points around for years, very well aware of how to do it...my point is exactly what Skate posted above, the starting point begins so far forward that by the time you get it far enough back, things start to get weird.

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

Maybe you could try out this mod, it may help. I haven't used it yet but it looks like it would be useful for this situation. https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/2092525/?sphrase_id=10492475

Thanks, sir! I'll have to give this a try.

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig: