Black Shark 2: Republic Campaign

I've finished the campaign so I will now sum my opinions about it -

First things first, I've not experienced any broken triggers during the playthrough. All missions worked as they were supposed to, and I was not forced to re-fly any mission because something broke, this is a huge +.

I liked the setting, it was a pleasant from the regular 'realistic' campaigns. The Ka-50 fitted perfectly. It would be great if more campaigns tried to break from the norm and experiment a little. The briefings are detailed and give enough information so I knew what is expected of me and how achieve my objectives.

The missions also have nice variety and few of them are truly original. But now for the first negative - imho, some of them ask too much from a single airframe, especially the airfield capture, and the last combat mission. The airfield capture is tricky, because you have no intel about the units around the airfield (it would be great to have this in briefing), especially manpads are huge pita, because they are deadly and very hard to spot (as IRL). The last combat mission got tricky because of the laser geting broke after firing 24 vikhrs, even when following the cooldown instructions. I resorted to vehicle respawn in that one, because destroying the last t-55s with cannon became tedious and super-boring.

The other - minus is the voiceover. I feel there is just too little of it, and even that little isn't all english. Some of the ambient voiceovers are in Russian, and it feels weird. I wouldn't mind in a free campaign, but for payed one I expect some consistency.

Overall I would rate this campaign as 8/10, it's a nice campaign that works (the most importatn part), tries to experiment with breking the norm, but the excecution sometimes lacks a little bit of polish.

Is wort the 10 bucks? Absolutely, I enjoyed my playthrough, will certainly replay it again and I would absolutely bought The Republic 2 :)

24 Vikhr's ??

Did You fly back to re-arm ?

I think a non-modded KA-50 can only have 12 Vikhr's.

FinnJ

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best to just keep things fictional, that way no country gets upset... there's nothing wrong with real world simulation in a fictional setting - you're flying real world tactics (hopefully), in simulated real world systems.

Honestly I much prefer the fictional setting. Besides making things politically neutral (im not some politically correct fanatic, but DCS should be fun, and no fun - or profit - if youre forced in order to play your favorite plane in a campaign to bomb your own country in a war that may have personally affected you or family, esp true when more middle east maps come out) Maybe it's because of old school PS2 Ace Combat (and its chessy but epic story lol) but I find the fictional setting more immersive, at least in a modern setting. I mean I am not an American or Russian pilot or in the military (or really flying an A-10), but Osean fighter jocky? Yeah I can dig that. Like you said so long as the systems and tactics and aircraft are as close to the real thing as possible, Im a happy duck.

Plus in fictional setting you can, at least I think so, do so much more with having creative and colorful characters to mission scenarios to having equipment. For example Russia has like 10 airworthy Tu-160s, they wouldnt risk them I would think in a warzone with heavy air defence unless world war III is going down. But, comrades! The butcher enemy has sent flight of Tu-160s, their target is our airfield, your mission is to intercept! I do admit though while "the republic" sounds cool to me, a name to the enemy besides just calling them an epithet like butcher would be more fun.

edit: i think too fictional setting on servers that have red and blue equipment for both sides like the 104th would make multiplayer a little more fun, at least for me. Not to mention painting each side with consistent paint scheme would make identification a lot easier lol since we dont have AWACS, at least mot of the time, but thats all another thread

Edited by zantron

“The murder of a man is still murder, even in wartime.”

-Manfred von Richthofen

The airfield mission is just badly designed: you alone with your little helicopter have to destroy something like 2xSA10, 2xSA1, 2xShilkas, 2xZU-23, and 2x Iglas located randomly around the airfield. Within time limit. At dawn. Without any intel about targets number and location. Without overflying the city which is between you and your target, and you are not warned in the briefing about possible enemy SAM activity over city, there's just a laconic "don't fly over city". I wonder how many people playing without icons will pass this mission at their first try.

I'm getting quite frustrated with this mission (Air Rain) myself.

In my first couple of attempts I failed because the time limit forced me to overfly the airport and I got shot down by enemies I had failed to locate from afar.

After I figured out the enemies' locations, I managed to destroy all of them but was forced to perform an emergency landing as the encounter with the last Zu-23 encampment got a little more personal than I usually like.

At some point the airfield became red and I was able to repair. But when the Mi-8 told me land near it, which I did numerous times, nothing happened and I exited the mission at a score of 50.

Next attempt I cleared out all enemies, our units landed, and then nothing happened, I wasn't even told to land near the Mi-8 (which I tried anyway, of course, but to no avail).

And what the heck is it with "Avoid flying over the city"? Why, and for how long does that remain valid? Right before that, the briefing says "Destroy enemy air defenses and ensure there is no threat for our transport planes, by overflying the runway". So if I'm supposed to overfly the runway, does that mean I'm allowed to fly over the city?

The briefing is ambiguous and confusing, and I still don't know why I failed the mission the last two times.

Any hints would be appreciated.

Would love to try this campaign out, but why is it when I go to buy this campaign the page states the files are not available?

Anyone?

Can't download this campaign despite having paid for it. Not particularly happy at the moment!!!

This is the message I get when I click the download button on the website -

Sorry, but the file list of the product is currently not available. Product may be currently installed through DCS World Open Beta Module manager only.
And when I try to install it via the game menus (v.15 available DLC menu) I get a "Unknown module Ka50-REPUBLIC_campaign" dialog error box pop up!!

And yes I have Ka-50 installed in v1.5.

Probably asking in the wrong place but would any ED reps care to comment on why money is being taken when people (maybe it's just me?) can't even download the product?

Edited by Raven_Morpheus

Raven

Launch dcs and open module manager. Campaign will install from'campaign list

This worked for me.

I did that also. Didn't work. I get a "Unknown module Ka50-REPUBLIC_campaign" error dialog box pop up.

I've opened a support ticket and ED customer support have told me I've tried installing it to the release version, when I've clearly stated I've tried v1.5!!

Useless!!!

EDIT - I finally managed to get the campaign to install, by following the advice in the last post of this thread - http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2539303

ED really should advise that you may need to run DCS_Updater to update from 1.50.xxx to 1.51.xxx!!

Edited by Raven_Morpheus

• 3 months later...

Hey guys, I just started playing this campaign and got a question: How can I contact the JTAC during the missions? Is there a special frequency to dial in (mission briefing doesn't say anything)? If I press the button for the radio communications menu, nothing happens... Would really appreciate if someone could help me

How can I contact the JTAC during the missions?

As far as I remember, there's no in-game JTAC like the one we get to play with in many A-10C missions.

The guys on the ground will contact you when you reach certain waypoints or achieve certain goals, and the player will automatically answer them.

Thanks for the reply Yurgon, that's actually how I supposed it should work, but in my case nothing happens when I reach the waypoints... Tried this in two missions, both time the same. Is it possible that the campaign is broken in the current 1.5 build?

I haven't flown any Republic campaign mission in a while. I guess it's possible there's something wrong with the triggers, but I didn't hear anything about it, and I also didn't notice any reports regarding trigger problems in 1.5.3 outside of this campaign.

Which missions are you referring to? Also, can you post a track?

(Not sure whether or not tracks of DLC campaigns will even work, though).

• 2 months later...

I just bought it and played a bit- wish I hadn't. Anyway, the triggers for JTAC all seem to be working just fine. On all the fail missions anyway. There is a series of missions you go backwards through when you fail, and I just failed all the way through them.

Playing this campaign is kind of like getting kicked in the nuts repeatedly. I was rewarded with this at the end:

"Campaign Failure. Given your inability to effectively contribute to the war effort, our forces have been defeated. Your efforts in particular were lacking in bringing about a favorable conclusion to this unfortunate chapter in our history. You should feel no honor knowing that your failures cost many friendly lives and brought the shame of defeat upon our great country."

Edited by Datek

• 3 months later...

Wow! looks like it could have been worse you weren't court-martialed.

Really though do you think it's a good deal?

Flying sims since 1980

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mobo: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming

CPU: i7 6700K @ 4.7 GHz

Video: EVGA GTX 1080

Ram: Patriot DDR4 2800 8GBx2

PWR:Corsair RM750i

Really though do you think it's a good deal?

From my perspective, yes and no. ;)

The campaign isn't that immersive story-wise, and the missions are often far fetched in terms of realism. When I played it shortly after release, there were some pretty nasty problems I hoped have been fixed in the meantime.

On the other hand, there really isn't a whole lot of good Ka-50 single-player content.

If you've played through the other campaigns ("Deployment", "Medvedev 2", as well as "Vergeev" if you manage to get a copy) and are desperately looking for more Ka-50 content, it's quite fun at times and a welcome opportunity for more Black Shark action.

If you're new to the Ka-50, I'd fly the other campaigns first and then decide if it's worth paying for some nice -but IMHO not overwhelming- content.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I decided to quit investing and shelve DCS world 2 and BS2 for the time being.

I bought BS2 because I had BS1 since it first came out and enjoyed playing the Caucasus campaigns very much so I was thinking I'll get the new DCS world and of course I have no choice to get the world to actually work

I have to buy Nevada test range.

I can only plead ignorance for not understanding that BS 2 has NO inbuilt Caucasus campaigns really absolutely nothing to do but fly around and look at the nice scenery and textures.

I'll wait until the BS2 has something to do then I'll start buying other aircraft.

I'll just check in once a month to see if anything is added for the BS2 module, this campaign doesn't seem worth it, I'm retired and on a very limited income so I have to chose wisely.

Edited by aairon

Flying sims since 1980

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mobo: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming

CPU: i7 6700K @ 4.7 GHz

Video: EVGA GTX 1080

Ram: Patriot DDR4 2800 8GBx2

PWR:Corsair RM750i

I can only plead ignorance for not understanding that BS 2 has NO inbuilt Caucasus campaigns really absolutely nothing to do but fly around and look at the nice scenery and textures.

Hold on, that's not true.

The old Deployment campaign from BS1 still exists in BS2, and unless I'm completely mistaken, the Medvedev II campaign was exclusively added for BS2. Add to that the old Georgian Oil War campaign and you have no less than 3 included campaigns in BS2, one of them new if you're coming from BS1.

Also, I'm not sure I understand your point about having to get NTTR. You only need to get the NTTR map if you wish to fly in that terrain and/or participate in the Open Alpha. For the old Caucasus map, you only need the current DCS World 1.5, which is still free as such (of course the Black Shark module isn't, but as I understand it, you already own that).

Or did you mean that there are no Ka-50 campaigns included for the NTTR map? That's true, but the terrain is really nice to look at. :smartass:

Anyway, as far as the Republic Campaign is concerned, I'm having a hard time pitching it to you if you're low on money; IMHO there's better stuff to spend your cash on, so it's probably a good choice not to get it. Then again, it consists of roughly 20 missions, so I think it's worth its price -- I just didn't like it all that much.

• 1 year later...
I purchased the Republic Campaign through Steam, but I don't know how to install it in the stand alone version. AaI would appreciate if someone could help me with this.

Thanks.

Standalone version? You need to have DCS World and Black Shark 2 installed. AFAIK the only way to install the campaign is through DCS World module manager.