The advantages of down sampling on HP Reverb

speed-of-heat

So let me be very clear, this is NOT my idea, it is not for everyone, it is really only aimed at high res headset, and lower spec hardware YMMV.

I have been playing with this, since i saw it mentioned, maybe by TAZ?

Downsampling by running steam at 80/90% will give you equivalent performance as using Kegteys' shader mod.

How do you do it?

Set in game PD to 1.0 , and set steam SS to 90-80%...

OMG you wont be able to see anything...

well see line one, its by no means as clean , but I can certainly read the MFD's, though occasionally I have to lean in. Visually its not bad, not as good clearly.

Why would you want to?

You don't have to use the shader mod, some people find it "difficult to manage" or just don't want to deal with the load/unload at patch time.

What about spotting?

it made very little difference to visual spotting, it might have made it marginally easier, could be placebo.

Perf difference?

On my kit the GPU frame times are reduced to between 10 (sea) to 17-18 (low level looking sideways over dense forest) , that's about a 3-5ms reduction based on my settings

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

• ED Team

I am using a vive cosmos currently, resolution is not bad, I can read all the text and dials with no issues.

I lowered my SteamVR to 100% and DCS to 1.0 average frame rate 64 frame rates between 45 - 90 in game.

When my G2 arrives I will be starting with the same settings and see how things are, if I have no issue reading text and dials I will play around with lowering the steamVR settings for sure.

Thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

17-18 (low level looking sideways over dense forest) , that's about a 3-5ms reduction based on my settings

I was bitten by the supersampling bug and now the native resolution of the Reverb feels odd to me, but god knows how I hate the fps reduction when looking sideways the forests/cities.. I have hope on the 3090..

I am using a vive cosmos currently, resolution is not bad, I can read all the text and dials with no issues.

I lowered my SteamVR to 100% and DCS to 1.0 average frame rate 64 frame rates between 45 - 90 in game.

When my G2 arrives I will be starting with the same settings and see how things are, if I have no issue reading text and dials I will play around with lowering the steamVR settings for sure.

Thanks

What's the resolution output indicated in SteamVR at 100%?

Just some food for thought, but I'd strongly advise you to reduce your PD before you first plug in your new G2 (to 0.7 for instance).

Reason: Discovering to be able to increase your graphics settings (increase eye candy), is a lot more fun, than having to reduce eye candy once you've tasted it :P

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Naah, I run my Reverb at 150% SS and its much clearer that way. It improves clarity enough that it makes MSAA sort of unnecessary (super-sampling is a form of antialiasing anyway). At that res, MSAA has no effect on cockpit and only on some distant buildings and power poles which are low priority anyway.

The thing is if you can't get 90 FPS reliably, then it doesn't matter if you are at 75 or 50 because you will be on reprojection anyway.

New VR Simpit: Intel 10700K, MSI Seahawk X 1080Ti (waiting for 3080Ti or 3090), 32 GB 3600MHz RAM, HP Reverb, TM Warthog

Old VR Simpit: Intel 4790K, Asus Matrix 780Ti, 16GB RAM, HTC Vive

It does work frame wise, but it looked like hot garbage IMO. Jaggies, jaggies everywhere.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

resolution 2016x2380

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does the Cosmos not have a res of 1440x1700?

If that is the case, then this is another example of why we need to be careful when quoting SteamVR SS rates. It clearly depends on headsets whether the number directly relates to native or not. On the Reverb, 100% means 100%, but clearly on the Cosmos (and others) it doesn't.

SteamVR takes distortion into account sometimes, but I have never understood the logic of what the 100% represents. As I say, different for different headsets which is why we can't compare one against the other at 100% (or any value). We'd have to do the manual calc to see what the actual %age is.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Just some food for thought, but I'd strongly advise you to reduce your PD before you first plug in your new G2 (to 0.7 for instance).

Reason: Discovering to be able to increase your graphics settings (increase eye candy), is a lot more fun, than having to reduce eye candy once you've tasted it :P

Why would he want to do that with his kit level?

Always start at native res - PD 1.0 and SteamVR SS @ 100% (in the case of the Reverb G1) - and go from there!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does the Cosmos not have a res of 1440x1700?

If that is the case, then this is another example of why we need to be careful when quoting SteamVR SS rates. It clearly depends on headsets whether the number directly relates to native or not. On the Reverb, 100% means 100%, but clearly on the Cosmos (and others) it doesn't.

SteamVR takes distortion into account sometimes, but I have never understood the logic of what the 100% represents. As I say, different for different headsets which is why we can't compare one against the other at 100% (or any value). We'd have to do the manual calc to see what the actual %age is.

Pattern seems to be 140% for any HMD with around 1600 ~ 1700 vertical pixel dimension. Again, problem with SteamVR is it relabeling it as 100%. They should just leave it at 140%.

I think it upsamples higher for older HMD like Oculus CV1 or OG Vive but I'm not sure. I can't even imagine what it'll be for Pimax.

Pattern seems to be 140% for any HMD with around 1600 ~ 1700 vertical pixel dimension. Again, problem with SteamVR is it relabeling it as 100%. They should just leave it at 140%.

I think it upsamples higher for older HMD like Oculus CV1 or OG Vive but I'm not sure. I can't even imagine what it'll be for Pimax.

Exactly, that's why we need to talk in terms of pixels and do the calc if we are discussing different HMDs in a comparison.

BN's 100% is more than the Reverb native 100%!

I have no idea why they don't just label the actual percentage and set a default value. Maybe 140% in the Cosmos case, and 100% in the Reverb. All we ask is for clarity!

Why would he want to do that with his kit level?

Always start at native res - PD 1.0 and SteamVR SS @ 100% (in the case of the Reverb G1) - and go from there!

Yeah... well... I assume you know what I meant

Being able to increase settings is much more fun than having to reduce them.

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Yeah... well... I assume you know what I meant

Being able to increase settings is much more fun than having to reduce them.

:)

This is default possibilities for G2. Half resolution is in pair with Rift-S but without SDE.

Half resolution actually makes sense.

Computers still likes to divide and multiply in power of two. That's why MSAA are in power of 2. There is no 5x MSAA. When you divide a pixel into two, it's easy for the computer to make that calculation versus dividing into three. And produces less artifacts. Same with multiplying pixels.

It will be blurry no doubt. Especially if you're used to the clarity which will be the biggest hurdle.

But if your system just can't handle the full resolution AND... if you value fps more than clarity... It may be worth trying.

Another interesting video with performances comparison.

Have in mind even with half ress G2 have reduced but still better visual quality then competitors plus better performances in FPS which you can transfer in to more eye candy if you want.

Point is you can enjoy in your G2 with your old GTX 980, 1070 or RX 5600 until you see how this new gen GPU war will develop in the end and than buy best option for you and your budget with maybe RX 6900XT which will be in pair with 3090 but for 800$.

This option just buy you some more time for smartest decision for you using your new G2 all the time on your old GPU.